1. I gathered that but he misspelled 'Genius', thought he was mocking someone else's spelling.

2. Hw was mocking the awful song, nothing more

I used to write it "genious" as well, but I standed corrected (twice!) by Josh a few weeks ago...
  3. ???????????????????????

WHO thinks Stay is better live than album version?

NO WAY

Seriously, people are voting while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

The way they play Stay live as some sort of pub singalong tune is almost insulting to the song.
    There is none of the atmosphere that made the album version so great, none of that great drum & guitar beat, no otherworldlly Edge guitar during the chorus and prechorus and Bono's vocals have never matched the nuanced, deliberate way he sings studio version, starting with very low key, measured 'speak singing' until his voice soars on lines like "Stay with the demons you drowned"

I'm sorry but there is no way Stay is better as an acoustic tune, it's doesn't improve on even a single aspect of the song.
  4. Everything is better full band... But when you talk about Stuck... it couldn't be worse in any version...
  5. Erm, when has IALW ever been played acoustic?

For the record, I voted Stuck, I really like it played acoustically, although having said that I love the Vertigo tour versions when Adam, Larry and a playback accompaniment came in during the outro.

Originally posted by vanquish:???????????????????????

NO WAY

Or just have a different opinion to you?

Personally I think it works in any form because it's a great song that doesn't need to be limited to one form or another.
  6. Voted for Stuck. I kinda like it acoustic, although I'd rather hear Stay. However, I think Stay is phenomenal in full band.
  7. Stay

I love the way Edge played it in Elevation Tour...Simple thing, but magnificent at the same time

8. Originally posted by WojBhoy:Erm, when has IALW ever been played acoustic?

For the record, I voted Stuck, I really like it played acoustically, although having said that I love the Vertigo tour versions when Adam, Larry and a playback accompaniment came in during the outro.

[..]
    Or just have a different opinion to you?

Personally I think it works in any form because it's a great song that doesn't need to be limited to one form or another.

Whether it works in any form is irrelevant as the topic is asking which is better out of the studio or live versions.

If people are voting for Stay because they think it's one of their best acoustic tunes (which I think they are) then they are missing the point of the poll.
  9. Originally posted by vanquish:???????????????????????

NO WAY

The way they play Stay live as some sort of pub singalong tune is almost insulting to the song.
    There is none of the atmosphere that made the album version so great, none of that great drum & guitar beat, no otherworldlly Edge guitar during the chorus and prechorus and Bono's vocals have never matched the nuanced, deliberate way he sings studio version, starting with very low key, measured 'speak singing' until his voice soars on lines like "Stay with the demons you drowned"

I'm sorry but there is no way Stay is better as an acoustic tune, it's doesn't improve on even a single aspect of the song.

+1. The album version of this song kicks ass, and the version they played on ZooTV sounded closest to it. In fact, the version on Sydney gives me goosebumps its so awesome. I'd love to see them play it like that again.

My vote? None of these. U2 is four members, not 2 members with an acoustic guitar and a singer.
  10. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]

+1. The album version of this song kicks ass, and the version they played on ZooTV sounded closest to it. In fact, the version on Sydney gives me goosebumps its so awesome. I'd love to see them play it like that again.

My vote? None of these. U2 is four members, not 2 members with an acoustic guitar and a singer.

Yea, the Sydney versions were decent, but I don't understand why they couldn't just play the album version, guitar and all - was it that difficult to replicate live?
  11. Stay isn't that difficult to replicate. Specially if Bono plays the backing guitar with the main chords, Edge could have done the electric easily. It's just that, for some outrageous reason, they think that ac.guitar+voice suits the song better than full band Well, in a way they're right, since the Craig A. mix of Stay has no drums or electric parts at all and sounds awesome, but.......
  12. Originally posted by LikeASong:Stay isn't that difficult to replicate. Specially if Bono plays the backing guitar with the main chords, Edge could have done the electric easily. It's just that, for some outrageous reason, they think that ac.guitar+voice suits the song better than full band Well, in a way they're right, since the Craig A. mix of Stay has no drums or electric parts at all and sounds awesome, but.......

The Craig A mix is ok, but Bono's vocals were better back in 93 and the orchestral backing is not interesting enough for me, i.e. I don't find the orchestration particularly noteworthy. Unlike say One from Modena which was an amazing performance with full orchestral backing.

And I absolutely love Edge's guitar part during the chorus on the studio versions, it's such a unique sound and suits the song so well. Any idea what guitar effect he's using?