1. Originally posted by vanquish:
    You mean they haven't played Pride once this tour?

Thats fantastic! About time too, Pride (and Elevation) is bloody annoying, mostly due to its constant presence on every single tour, it wasn't a brilliant song to begin with either.

I'm quite happy that the band seems to be listening to fans, they've dropped Pride and brought back Ultraviolet.

Wasn't a brilliant song to begin with? Listened to fans? I don't think fans tell u2 about what songs to play when they see them, and I believe whenever Pride was played so far on this tour (yes it was played) there was a great reaction from the audience.
  2. I agree I wish they would put more songs on rotation, Change it up! You've got a deep well of great songs that we want to hear live again. Come the Rose Bowl.... SURPRISE US!!!!
  3. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]

Wasn't a brilliant song to begin with? Listened to fans? I don't think fans tell u2 about what songs to play when they see them, and I believe whenever Pride was played so far on this tour (yes it was played) there was a great reaction from the audience.

Well it was only above average at best, especially in light of their later work, perhaps back in 1985 it was brilliant.

I didn't mean that literally, it seems that way, talk on the various U2 forums often includes how everyone is tired of Pride and wants them to bring back Ultraviolet etc.

4. Your Blue Room is nothing to me, nice studio release but live doesnt work at all. I agree on Elevation and Stuck though. I rather have them play When I Look At The World and Kite sometimes. And yes i know that will not happen anytime soon (if not never)

Your Blue Room shows that they try to do introduce new songs on the stage, so when AB Remastered comes out we still have a small spark of hope for Acrobat.
  5. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Well it was only above average at best, especially in light of their later work, perhaps back in 1985 it was brilliant.

I didn't mean that literally, it seems that way, talk on the various U2 forums often includes how everyone is tired of Pride and wants them to bring back Ultraviolet etc.

I respectfully disagree. I think Pride is right up there with songs from JT and AB.

6. Too right.

If I was judging solely on recordings then I'd say yep, without a second thought.

Being there is a different thing. It's fantastic hearing that song live for the first time ever (as all of them).
  7. Exactly.

We should make the difference between what we as bootleg collectors want, and what we think or feel for the general mass fans, it's very different.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:Exactly.

We should make the difference between what we as bootleg collectors want, and what we think or feel for the general mass fans, it's very different.

I fit in both cases I think. As I said before, Pride is one of my favorite songs, but I still think they could put in into rotation.

Another thing I just thought: Pride is an excelent song for shows in stadiums. I remember well when they played it here in Morumbi Stadium and everybody was jumping and singing to it. The song changed for better. You could feel the energy and the power in teh air. It's a great "stadium" song, and that's another reason for U2 don't drop for ever.

Greetings from Brazil
  9. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]

Too right.

If I was judging solely on recordings then I'd say yep, without a second thought.

Being there is a different thing. It's fantastic hearing that song live for the first time ever (as all of them).

Well, I don't recall Pride being a song that takes on a whole new life when played live as opposed to the studio versions (unlike something like Ultraviolet). I could be wrong though, recommend me a good live version.

And the whole "it's fantastic when you hear it at a concert" is too subjective a statement, as you'd be seeing everything through rose-coloured glasses on the night and even a dog of a song would sound pretty good.

I think people like Pride mainly for its MLK connotations, if the song wasn't dedicated to MLK it would be a lot less popular. Personally while instrumentally it's quite good, the lyrics and singing are rather underdone (Bono looking back, has also expressed disappointment with the song's lyrics) and the song sounds blustery and melodramatic. I personally think MLK is a better, more elegant tribute to the man.

However, my main issue with the song, is that it doesn't merit it's permanent status on their setlist, especially when they have other better songs than they either never play live or shelve on following tours. If they had kept Pride in rotation over the past tours, I would be much more tolerable of it, but after hearing it so many times the song just grates on me.

10. Play it every now and then

11. Agreed.I would have liked to have heard it at ONE of the 2 nights at Giants Stadium.They could sprinkle it in here and there,like how they have with New Years Day, in the set once in a while.
  12. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Well, I don't recall Pride being a song that takes on a whole new life when played live as opposed to the studio versions (unlike something like Ultraviolet). I could be wrong though, recommend me a good live version.

And the whole "it's fantastic when you hear it at a concert" is too subjective a statement, as you'd be seeing everything through rose-coloured glasses on the night and even a dog of a song would sound pretty good.

I think people like Pride mainly for its MLK connotations, if the song wasn't dedicated to MLK it would be a lot less popular. Personally while instrumentally it's quite good, the lyrics and singing are rather underdone (Bono looking back, has also expressed disappointment with the song's lyrics) and the song sounds blustery and melodramatic. I personally think MLK is a better, more elegant tribute to the man.

However, my main issue with the song, is that it doesn't merit it's permanent status on their setlist, especially when they have other better songs than they either never play live or shelve on following tours. If they had kept Pride in rotation over the past tours, I would be much more tolerable of it, but after hearing it so many times the song just grates on me.

Your first statement, i disagree with. To be honest, i thought i expected what i was going to feel and see when I saw my first u2 show, because i've listened to tons of bootlegs and watched tons of dvd's. However, it was a totally different experience. It wasn't the same as hearing it on a dvd. That's not the same as saying that a crappy song would sound good.

Also, I don't think people only like Pride because it's about MLK...I'm sure that's a part of the reason for a lot of people, and maybe the only reason, but I bet a lot of people that attend a U2 show don't even know that and they still enjoy the song. It's Bono's hard hitting lyrics in the chorus, it's the melodies in there, it's the gutiar, it's very uplifting and it lets the crowd experience the same feeling within a song, and enables the crowd to come together, and I believe any U2 song can do this, however Pride does it the best. You never hear more people singing along or jumping to the music then when Pride is being played. And I don't think that's because of who it's about...