1. I really don't know how people think One is crap but this is better.
    Firsly One has better lyrics and more meaning.
    One has more interesting singing and instrumentation too.

Can people point out what's so standout about this song?

This one just runs for 7 minutes long, do people just like songs that go for ages?
    They should do a one song album then, guaranteed to be the best.
  2. Originally posted by vanquish:I really don't know how people think One is crap but this is better.

This one just runs for 7 minutes long, do people just like songs that go for ages?

There's no reason U2 can't just do a continuous song running over one album but with multiple melodies etc.

I love songs that just go on for ages - you obviously haven't heard Thick As A Brick then (43mins +).
  3. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]

There's no reason U2 can't just do a continuous song running over one album but with multiple melodies etc.

I love songs that just go on for ages - you obviously haven't heard Thick As A Brick then (43mins +).

No I don't, I don't listen to my music like most people - all the time, during everything I do- . I'm sure 43 minutes songs work fine as background music.

When I listen to music (especially new music) I focus on it, and almost analyse, dissect it, try to appreciate all the nuances etc. However this method also tends to make you dislike pieces that arent nearly perfect as you notice the flaws - which then constantly bug me.
  4. It's considered one of, if not the greatest song of all time. By the time you've analyzed and dissected the music, the train's left the station. I wouldn't bother with the music I buy if I didn't like it. There's a reason my shelf and CD player sits full of all-time classics.

Just looking, I can see three of the greatest albums of all time: Dangerous, Dark Side of The Moon, Back In Black. The last one isn't worth analyzing -it's just great music, but the first and second one could be, and have since their release in 1980 and 1991 numerous times over the years. I've got all the U2 albums. I haven't bothered analyzing the last one to great detail, but the others I would be more than happy to discuss - because they are classic albums. Just like Dangerous and Dark Side of the Moon and Back In Black.

When I listen to music (especially new music) I focus on it, and almost analyse, dissect it, try to appreciate all the nuances etc. However this method also tends to make you dislike pieces that arent nearly perfect as you notice the flaws - which then constantly bug me.

Would you analyze classic, electronic and ambient music in the same way as each genre?
  5. After listening to album for about 10 times...MoS is really, really epic. It goes straight from heart to heart. Musically so simple but so...it just works like that...

6. Originally posted by vanquish:I really don't know how people think One is crap but this is better.

I would agree with you in the sense that One is probably better then this song. However i think that this one does have deeper lyrics than one. The lyrics are what i love about this song, for my taste i love the fact that it's just Bono singing from the heart without much else going on. I think over the top instrumentation would have hindered this song rather than helped
  7. one is a classic, no doubt, but I heard it too often, which is why MOS is easily triumphing over it atm for me.
  8. What's wrong with this song's lyrics Lyndon? I get some incredible images and feelings out of it....

and while we're at it, Remy,

I was speeding on the subway
    Through the stations of the cross
    Every eye looking every other way
    Counting down ’til the pentecost < I believe it's actually "till the pain would stop"
  9. Originally posted by Ali709:What's wrong with this song's lyrics Lyndon? I get some incredible images and feelings out of it....

Counting down ’til the pentecost < I believe it's actually "till the pain would stop"

You're right.
  10. The song I kept going back to................awesome
  11. for me it's like ISHFWILF meets OOTS. it's beautiful in the gospel way , and amazing lyricaly. beautiful and amazing , and one of ,if not there best!
  12. Originally posted by Ali709:What's wrong with this song's lyrics Lyndon? I get some incredible images and feelings out of it....

Updated, thanks guys.