1. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]
    To release a full song they need to go through publishing (ie Universal) and the record label which probably makes it easier to just do partials unless it’s stuff that’s already been cleared (I.e. PopMart Mexico etc)
    Yep - wouldn't want the band to go to all that 'trouble'

No matter how they dress it up - it's just really poor from the band
  2. Originally posted by tuf392664:[..]
    It has dropped a bit over the years hasn’t it, the live broadcasts. Vertigo had 2 full shows on tv plus Twickenham on radio, 360 had Sheffield, Montreal. São Paulo, Cape Town and some of London and then it dropped significantly for I&E, think maybe just the opening night there was a couple of songs broadcast on radio. That’s excluding rose bowl for 360 which was live and Paris I&E which was live or same day maybe? But JT and E&I had nothing.

That atomic city performance really surprised me, using multiple performances edited together was one thing but cutting the song so early was unbelievable. It’s the worst I’ve seen from the band at a tv/awards performance and disappointing. With the next album and tour I’m keeping expectations low when it comes to all this broadcast stuff but hopefully they give us some good promo performances and it doesn’t take too long to release a show from the tour, but that’s getting way ahead of things now.
    A lot of that was down to Paul McGuinness he was very involved in a lot of those live
    releases going all the way back to Red Rocks which brought them to a much bigger Global audience , when he retired after the 360 tour they weren't as consistent releasing live or studio material, the band themselves aren't probably too concerned about all
    that side of the business and leave it to someone else unfortunately his successor Guy Oseary wasn't much good in satisfying the fanbase with Retro tours,ITunes fiasco,SOS, Vegas Residency and Sky high ticket prices which isolated a lot of the fans not solely his fault but he was part of Live Nation who are responsible for their tours and pricing .
  3. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    A lot of that was down to Paul McGuinness he was very involved in a lot of those live
    releases going all the way back to Red Rocks which brought them to a much bigger Global audience , when he retired after the 360 tour they weren't as consistent releasing live or studio material, the band themselves aren't probably too concerned about all
    that side of the business and leave it to someone else unfortunately his successor Guy Oseary wasn't much good in satisfying the fanbase with Retro tours,ITunes fiasco,SOS, Vegas Residency and Sky high ticket prices which isolated a lot of the fans not solely his fault but he was part of Live Nation who are responsible for their tours and pricing .
    that's so sad to read
  4. On November 12, 2013, it was announced that Oseary would be replacing Paul McGuinness as manager of U2 in a $30 million deal which would see Live Nation buy both Maverick and U2's management company Principle Management. McGuinness was quoted as saying "I have long regarded Guy Oseary as the best manager of his generation, and there is no one else I would have considered to take over the day-to-day running of our business."

So sounds like McGuinness was okay with it

All I know is that post 2013 U2 have yet to release anything that can match pre U2 2013
  5. Oseary came on board in November 2013. The Invisible freebie through Apple was already set up at that point. That was the test run for the free album. Not sure how much you can say Oseary was involved there. Yes he didn’t talk them out of it but it sounds like it may have been in motion when he joined.

Sphere was also mentioned. Oseary was gone before that was announced. We don’t know how involved he was at the end. In any regard, the whole Sphere thing should probably be looked at as part of the new management with the Azoffs because of their connections to Sphere. The Azoffs came on board at the same time the contracts for Sphere were signed.

The other thing mentioned was sky high ticket prices. Yes they increased under Oseary, but while he was there they avoided using dynamic ticketing, they kept the GA tickets at a lower price point than seats, and continued to have a bank of cheap seats at every show. Sphere under the Azoffs tripled the floor pricing, and implemented platinum pricing. I fear the days of a cheap floor GA ended with Oseary. The Azoffs are notoriously fan-unfriendly too, so I wait with some trepidation to see what this new era brings.

Was Oseary perfect? Not at all. There was lots of chaos over implementing Verified Fans. He also seemed a bit checked out on the day-to-day stuff. And the whole NFT thing he was constantly pushing was probably just around the corner.

But McGuinness didn’t always get it right either. Remember when Larry stopped during a Grammy acceptance speech to apologize because the fans didn’t get tickets? That happened under McGuinness. He also was in charge when U2 threatened fan sites with legal action to get lyrics taken down, and then turned around and tried to sell the lyrics for a subscription fee.
  6. Without the fans there ain't no U2

Ergo without U2 there ain't no U2 managers/management

They need to remember this
  7. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:Oseary came on board in November 2013. The Invisible freebie through Apple was already set up at that point. That was the test run for the free album. Not sure how much you can say Oseary was involved there. Yes he didn’t talk them out of it but it sounds like it may have been in motion when he joined.

Sphere was also mentioned. Oseary was gone before that was announced. We don’t know how involved he was at the end. In any regard, the whole Sphere thing should probably be looked at as part of the new management with the Azoffs because of their connections to Sphere. The Azoffs came on board at the same time the contracts for Sphere were signed.

The other thing mentioned was sky high ticket prices. Yes they increased under Oseary, but while he was there they avoided using dynamic ticketing, they kept the GA tickets at a lower price point than seats, and continued to have a bank of cheap seats at every show. Sphere under the Azoffs tripled the floor pricing, and implemented platinum pricing. I fear the days of a cheap floor GA ended with Oseary. The Azoffs are notoriously fan-unfriendly too, so I wait with some trepidation to see what this new era brings.

Was Oseary perfect? Not at all. There was lots of chaos over implementing Verified Fans. He also seemed a bit checked out on the day-to-day stuff. And the whole NFT thing he was constantly pushing was probably just around the corner.

But McGuinness didn’t always get it right either. Remember when Larry stopped during a Grammy acceptance speech to apologize because the fans didn’t get tickets? That happened under McGuinness. He also was in charge when U2 threatened fan sites with legal action to get lyrics taken down, and then turned around and tried to sell the lyrics for a subscription fee.
    U2 have been rudderless since McGuinness left it's all backward steps sold out to the big corporate monsters 👻 💰💰💰who now dictate everything they do, Bono used to proudly brag how independent the band were and how they were always in control of their own destiny well they've certainly not done that since 2014 with big multi million dollar deals with Apple and Live Nation basically giving all that independence up ,WTF thought it was a good idea to tour the JT twice or the Itunes deal or SOS or a Vegas residency ??they weren't ideas that the band solely come up with that was outside influence by powerful people within the industry that heavily influenced their decisions , U2 of the 80s and 90s would never have considered going down that route as they had always been a forward thinking band who didn't bow down to corporate greed and were conscious about who their audience were and why they were fans of the band .
  8. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    U2 have been rudderless since McGuinness left it's all backward steps sold out to the big corporate monsters 👻 💰💰💰who now dictate everything they do, Bono used to proudly brag how independent the band were and how they were always in control of their own destiny well they've certainly not done that since 2014 with big multi million dollar deals with Apple and Live Nation basically giving all that independence up ,WTF thought it was a good idea to tour the JT twice or the Itunes deal or SOS or a Vegas residency ??they weren't ideas that the band solely come up with that was outside influence by powerful people within the industry that heavily influenced their decisions , U2 of the 80s and 90s would never have considered going down that route as they had always been a forward thinking band who didn't bow down to corporate greed and were conscious about who their audience were and why they were fans of the band .
    Please. It was McGuinness that got them into bed with Live Nation in the first place. They signed on with Live Nation in 2008.

From Billboard when they signed that deal: https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/u2-signs-12-year-deal-with-live-nation-1046023/

U2 manager Paul McGuinness adds, “There’s a certain convergence taking place in the industry, and it’s obvious that the biggest part of U2’s business now is their live business, even though they’re a major, major record-selling act.”

The band’s relationship with Live Nation has been “pretty near perfect,” McGuinness says. “For some time now they’ve been executing, promoting and producing our tours as partners pretty well perfectly. Since they want to consolidate rights and they have an online vision that I believe in, their Ticketmaster deal is expiring, which is going to change their margin, I’m very happy to go into a partnership with them. And, apart from all the financial stuff, there is a real friendship, a real bond.”
  9. I’m confident that at least in Europe, GA tickets will still be priced OK. North America however…
  10. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]
    Please. It was McGuinness that got them into bed with Live Nation in the first place. They signed on with Live Nation in 2008.

From Billboard when they signed that deal: https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/u2-signs-12-year-deal-with-live-nation-1046023/

U2 manager Paul McGuinness adds, “There’s a certain convergence taking place in the industry, and it’s obvious that the biggest part of U2’s business now is their live business, even though they’re a major, major record-selling act.”

The band’s relationship with Live Nation has been “pretty near perfect,” McGuinness says. “For some time now they’ve been executing, promoting and producing our tours as partners pretty well perfectly. Since they want to consolidate rights and they have an online vision that I believe in, their Ticketmaster deal is expiring, which is going to change their margin, I’m very happy to go into a partnership with them. And, apart from all the financial stuff, there is a real friendship, a real bond.”
    "Pretty near perfect" - for who? The fans or the band?

And I'm sure "apart from all the financial stuff, there is a real friendship, a real bond." that that 'financial stuff" has benefitted the band more than the fans

Some of the decisions have been perplexing for a band of the people

I think its fair comment to say - no matter how good the band were at The Sphere - that the majority of people/fans turned up for the spectacle

Yes, the ZOO and POP (and 360) had their 'spectacle' too but they were world tours and not some cringe-worthy sell-out residency taking place in a country that U2 fawns over

A Sphere world tour would have been great to see though
  11. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    They’ve also been doing stuff with apple since before 2014. A certain black and red iPod with signatures comes to mind from 20 years ago
  12. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]

They still have to sign off with Live Nation the
    ticket pricing etc the last few tours have been unobtainable for a lot of fans who can no longer afford to see them , I know a lot of people who haven't seen them since the 360 tour as tickets are way too expensive not solely the bands fault but they are big fish within the industry and can negotiate a lower pricing structure , The Cure on their recent US tour took on Ticketmaster over dynamic pricing and handling fees etc something which U2 and other big acts should get behind because if they don't stand up to these corporate monsters they'll just keep increasing the ticket prices.