1. The production on Gigaton might be better than some of their earlier (2000s) albums but I don't think the songs are better. Listening to live versions of Nothing As It Seems, Of The Girl, Save You, etc reminds me of how great they were even in their second decade.
  2. Originally posted by RUMMY:The production on Gigaton might be better than some of their earlier (2000s) albums but I don't think the songs are better. Listening to live versions of Nothing As It Seems, Of The Girl, Save You, etc reminds me of how great they were even in their second decade.
    Agreed. Gigaton sounds fantastic. Better than DM. But that’s it. The songs imo aren’t there. But I think I’m in the minority with that opinion. Again, most seem to really dig it.
  3. Originally posted by RUMMY:The production on Gigaton might be better than some of their earlier (2000s) albums but I don't think the songs are better. Listening to live versions of Nothing As It Seems, Of The Girl, Save You, etc reminds me of how great they were even in their second decade.
    Pearl Jam made some great songs in their second decade. They just didn't make any great albums in their second decade.
  4. Originally posted by LostSailor:[..]
    Here is the important thing. Pearl Jam surrendered to Watt and allowed themselves to be pushed out of their comfort zone. They wanted to go on a different musical journey. The results are fantastic and speak for themselves in the album that is Dark Matter.

I don't think U2 are capable at this point of surrendering to any producer. The best tracks on Songs of Innocence are the ones Danger Mouse produced. He either left the SOI project or U2 fired him over creative differences since he didn't finish the album.

I'm fine with Steve Lillywhite producing the next U2 record. Best we can hope for is another HTDAAB type album which isn't a bad thing. Way better than Ryan Tedder FFS.

agreed
  5. Hmmm…. I feel we should move this to the PJ thread.
  6. Originally posted by MoFoNYR15:[..]
    Watt pushed Pj out of their comfort zone. Gritty vibe will never be back in u2 music. The best we can hope for is the sound of them in one room creating music. More spontaneous , capturing it in two- three takes, not overthinking it and killing every song in the studio.

Yeah can't disagree with this assessment. I haven't heard anything of PJ's since 'Daughter' lol so I might take a listen. Everything I did hear post say their 4th record just sounded dated, uninspired and just straight forward stadium rock.

I didn't mind Tedders production too much. I'm one of the few that preferred SOE over SOI by a wide margin. I'm just not sure U2 can just do straight safe rock and make it interesting. Take Atomic City for example. Something dark and sinister as an undercurrent or tone underneath a heavier sounding album would be my favourite option of those on the table of what this new album might sound like sonically.
  7. pearljamstart.com
  8. Some of us (myself included) went a bit crazy for PJ from about 2011-2014 here at u2start! The number of posts we made in their thread here is astonishing!
  9. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]
    Some of us (myself included) went a bit crazy for PJ from about 2011-2014 here at u2start! The number of posts we made in their thread here is astonishing!
    I approve of PJ content anytime.

Anyone going to Las Vegas, Chicago or MSG shows?
  10. Just listened to the live recording from Vancouver 1. Think they’re in great shape and the new songs sound really good.