1. nah thats just me talkin
  2. Originally posted by germcevoynah thats just me talkin

That's what I figured!
  3. The battery certainly is not crap. It's designed to run on a daily basis, with a recharge every day. I get 10 hours no problem. This is with video, ipod, internet browsing, maps, texting, you name it. Everything. The battery is great. The keyboard is better than every smart phone on the market because it doesn't have designated, bulky space for a keyboard, instead it appears as you need it, which is miles beyond what any other company has done. It does not scratch because it's made of air-brushed aluminum, just like the powerbooks. it's desiged with aluminum and glass, so it is highly durable and it also uses flash technology instead of moving parts, the first phone to do so, which means you can drop it as much as you want (I have already done so) and it will last. No phone compares, sorry folks. Apple is miles ahead of the computer industry, and now the cell phone industry.
  4. I have to chip and say that I also am a Mac-Man -

I 'm typing this on an iBook, I use a Mac Mini as my desktop and have a 2nd Gen Nano, a 60GB iPod Photo and the original (B/W) U2 iPod. I have never had a problem with any of these items, they're all solid as a rock and I would never go back to a PC now.

WRT the iPhone - obviously we don't have them here yet but from what I understand as a 1st Gen product of its kind it is a solid 4-Star performer. There are some software improvements needed and the keyboard is not as good as a standalone but to get into that sleek frame they had to make some compromise and I think you get used to the touch keyboard pretty quickly. Edit:- Just read comment above posted as I did from someone who obviously has one, so there we go! Plus as an iPod it's amazing.
    And the GPRS thing is mooted to be sorted by the time it's released in Europe as that is less well-supported in America where EDGE is favoured (for some reason... ). So we'll wait and see what they do with Mark 2 for Europe. Personally I'm going to have to be severely restrained not to get one....
  5. I have always found iPods, Macs etc pretty reliable - much more reliable than my self-built computer, but you can't really build your own Mac cheaply or easily. If the iPod starts stuffing up (sad face, folder icon, clicking drive, spinning drive etc), there's the always-working fix.

Give it a good hard whack right in the middle with your palm, not on the screen or wheel obviously but just enough to jolt the hard drive connector back into position and it works a treat. My U2 iPod stuffed up at least nine times with Apple telling me to buy a new one - yeah, but they ain't U2 - and I give it a good hard whack. How well that works. Apple don't tell you that but I'll tell you this because it does work 99.99% of the time.

A friend had an old photo 40GB version, he gave it a good whack - it turned on, restored the firmware and she's good as new. The iPhone is like most new products, it works but not as good as it should because it's the first of the batch and all new products have teething problems - if you've seen Fawlty Towers you'd know about the "teething problems" quote. But then I've only read reviews so I couldn't tell you what it's like, but like Apple products they'll try their very best to get it fixed. I remember my iPod froze up, it refused to move or even show anything but I gave the Apple Australia call centre a call and ten minutes later we had it fixed. You certainly won't get the same sort of help from Dell or HP, they'll fob you off or you get no help, you're better off doing it yourself because you're bound to get it fixed that way.

The one thing I don't like about the iPhone is that it doesn't support 3G - which is becoming the sort of standard next to GPRS in Australia as CDMA is getting switched off by Telstra.
  6. Originally posted by drewhigginsI have always found iPods, Macs etc pretty reliable - much more reliable than my self-built computer, but you can't really build your own Mac cheaply or easily. If the iPod starts stuffing up (sad face, folder icon, clicking drive, spinning drive etc), there's the always-working fix.

Give it a good hard whack right in the middle with your palm, not on the screen or wheel obviously but just enough to jolt the hard drive connector back into position and it works a treat. My U2 iPod stuffed up at least nine times with Apple telling me to buy a new one - yeah, but they ain't U2 - and I give it a good hard whack. How well that works. Apple don't tell you that but I'll tell you this because it does work 99.99% of the time.

A friend had an old photo 40GB version, he gave it a good whack - it turned on, restored the firmware and she's good as new. The iPhone is like most new products, it works but not as good as it should because it's the first of the batch and all new products have teething problems - if you've seen Fawlty Towers you'd know about the "teething problems" quote. But then I've only read reviews so I couldn't tell you what it's like, but like Apple products they'll try their very best to get it fixed. I remember my iPod froze up, it refused to move or even show anything but I gave the Apple Australia call centre a call and ten minutes later we had it fixed. You certainly won't get the same sort of help from Dell or HP, they'll fob you off or you get no help, you're better off doing it yourself because you're bound to get it fixed that way.

The one thing I don't like about the iPhone is that it doesn't support 3G - which is becoming the sort of standard next to GPRS in Australia as CDMA is getting switched off by Telstra.

I agree with Drew. You can't get better help than apple. They made buying my MacBook Pro easier than
    the people at Office Depot when I was looking at Toshibas.
  7. Originally posted by drewhigginsIf the iPod starts stuffing up (sad face, folder icon, clicking drive, spinning drive etc), there's the always-working fix.

And literally an hour after writing this my iPod no longer works. It keeps restarting now. That was karma from Apple for telling everyone I reckon.

EDIT: It does work now. I got it into diagnostic mode, then placed it into Disk Mode and restored it from iTunes (uninstalling the software straight after) but lucky I backed up.

8. NOKIA N70
  9. Gonna upgrade to one of these. Proper portable U2start. Whens the mobile version coming Remy???

10. n73

11. I was gonna go the N73 - but the little joystick was annoying and the whole phone was too slow.

Instead, I decided upon:

I then bought a touch iPod. As of now, I have on it (much for communication):

SummerBoard (changing themes, something Apple don't actually officially offer)
    Customize (changing text, icons and whatever else)
    FileBrowser (for viewing files through IE or Firefox)
    NetStumbler (for finding WiFi networks instantly and turning off other services)
    AM (instant messenger and GMail application)
    MiM (for changing the carrier name - instead of iPod it has Mofo)
    Wallpaper Community (for a choice of many wallpapers)
    iDope (DopeWars game, also great to pass time)
    aMaze (tilt the iPod and get the ball in the hole)
    Yeti3D (first person shooter)
    Sketcher (for drawing and uploading to Flickr)

The great thing is there's around 18 000 apps and stuff to install for free (without voiding of warranty), none of which Apple offers on the new software update or through iTunes. Just a simple restore and off you go - it looks like new.

Plus all the Apple stock stuff (YouTube, Stocks, Safari, iTunes, Notes, Calender, Calculator, Photos, iPod, Mail, Maps, Timer)
  12. A broken first gen iPhone that I can barely use, from September 2007. A very early, very crappy model.