2019-11-19 - Adelaide
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Songs played: 25
Audio recordings: 2
  1. I actually think they will play some of these places in the future. Probably on the next tour of a new album. They’ve not really came up with anything fancy for stadium shows for a while and I’m sure they’ll have something big planned that they’ll want to take around the world. I could see them doing North America and Europe in the first year then similar to what they’ve done in the past take the tour to South America, Australia/New Zealand and then have an Asian leg or a ROW leg. This might not all start til 2022 but that’s my prediction. Spreading the shows out over 2 years means they’re not over doing it, still plenty of time for rest and the money will be made before they get into the 2nd year of the tour.
  2. Have they signed a new Live Nation contract?

They might prefer to do America, America, Europe, America, America, America, Europe, America instead

Trying hard not to feel racist today as that U2 tribe from the land of the brave & free have got their corrupt check-in system up & running in Sydney. Scoring the vast majority of places on the list before the locals had even finished work
  3. Originally posted by ddarroch:Have they signed a new Live Nation contract?

They might prefer to do America, America, Europe, America, America, America, Europe, America instead

Trying hard not to feel racist today as that U2 tribe from the land of the brave & free have got their corrupt check-in system up & running in Sydney. Scoring the vast majority of places on the list before the locals had even finished work
    You may not be rascist but you sure are localist.
  4. Please explain how the American check in system is corrupt....
  5. Ok, I'll say it's an unfair system.

This all appears corrupt when the venue publically states this system won't be honoured for days & day. People listen to the venue, abide by their rules to not camp out or form fan-managed systems. Only for the venue to roll over in the last minute, at the insistence of U2 security. As happened in Melbourne, & many other venues over the last few years. Some of these fans have the ear of U2's security. They are greeted as old friends with handshakes & backslaps at the start of the tour. It's not a good look for U2's security.

Why is the system unfair? It's inequitable. It rewards touring fans, some of whom are from home, but most are from abroad. Friends of friends, who can mobilise quickly, to take the majority of early spots.

It started in Sydney yesterday morning. By lunchtime numbers were around 100. And continued to climb, until most locals had finished work & even had a chance to turn their attention to this line. Trying to then commute through peak hour to the eastern suburbs of Sydney. Could have taken up to 2 it's for some people! Late arrivals probably mopped up the last 50 places, as it stands.

Melbourne was even worse, with mid-week 1pm check-in, over multiple days. Eliminating any locals that had to work.

These schemes have been specifically designed to keep locals away from the front.

And that's just the locals that know this is even going on! Most are unaware, not members of a small FB group (which must be joined). They'll turn up in the early hours of the day of the show, as instructed. Possibly to find themselves behind a list of HUNDREDS of people flouting the rules.

U2 has bucked the trend of offering up the the best places near the stage to the most wealthy. Previously rewarding commitment. Join a line, stay in line. Wait as long as you want. Whether that's a day or two, the day of the show, an hour. You choose.

This check-in system rewards those who have the time & the money to take multiple days off work. Checking-in for 5 minutes, a couple of times a day. No reward for commitment, just reward for getting in a list quickly. Easy to do, when you know who's running the check-in system.

People will say, why didn't the locals start a fan-managed system first? The custom is Oz/NZ is camping. No one in their right mind will camp out for 3 days before a show. It's too difficult. But with the check-in system it's easy. Check-in for 5 minutes, a couple of times a day. If you've got a shift, do that for a couple of hours, once a day or two. Easy! So the check-in crew will pretty much always get the jump on the locals.

This trend was bucked in Brisbane. A local started the line two days out. A hard line, camping! You wait & earn your spot. This is a MUCH fairer system. Those ahead of you have earned their spot in line, shown some commitment!

The funny thing is, there's not that many committed people! Brisbane only had 30 campers. A GREAT mix of 60% internationals/40% locals. Early arrivals on the day of the show - whether they knew camping was allowed or not - could get a great number! A 4:00 arrival scored #31 in line. 4:30 #50, 5:00 #100.

Compared to the check-in system, where those that arrived at 4am - who didn't know, or couldn't participate - were greeted by a list of hundreds of people, none of whom were actually in attendance.

You tell me what's fairer & more equitable?

For the record. I have accommodation near the SCG, & have grudgingly joined the list (as I don't want to be shafted by hundreds of no more deserving fans). I also camped at Brisbane.
  6. The current system is as Bono referenced to in UV the other night "fucked up"
  7. It may or may not be fair, but as long as U2 is allowing it, it is what it is. Bono referenced the GA system?
  8. Play on words , "fucked up" made a return to UV
  9. Ah. Yeah, the band and their management don't seem keen on changing anything. They're getting paid, there have been no major incidents or riots, so... nothing will change. When I saw them in 2017, I made damn sure I got some time off to get my number early.
  10. Originally posted by ddarroch:[..]
    Ok, I'll say it's an unfair system.

This all appears corrupt when the venue publically states this system won't be honoured for days & day. People listen to the venue, abide by their rules to not camp out or form fan-managed systems. Only for the venue to roll over in the last minute, at the insistence of U2 security. As happened in Melbourne, & many other venues over the last few years. Some of these fans have the ear of U2's security. They are greeted as old friends with handshakes & backslaps at the start of the tour. It's not a good look for U2's security.

Why is the system unfair? It's inequitable. It rewards touring fans, some of whom are from home, but most are from abroad. Friends of friends, who can mobilise quickly, to take the majority of early spots.

It started in Sydney yesterday morning. By lunchtime numbers were around 100. And continued to climb, until most locals had finished work & even had a chance to turn their attention to this line. Trying to then commute through peak hour to the eastern suburbs of Sydney. Could have taken up to 2 it's for some people! Late arrivals probably mopped up the last 50 places, as it stands.

Melbourne was even worse, with mid-week 1pm check-in, over multiple days. Eliminating any locals that had to work.

These schemes have been specifically designed to keep locals away from the front.

And that's just the locals that know this is even going on! Most are unaware, not members of a small FB group (which must be joined). They'll turn up in the early hours of the day of the show, as instructed. Possibly to find themselves behind a list of HUNDREDS of people flouting the rules.

U2 has bucked the trend of offering up the the best places near the stage to the most wealthy. Previously rewarding commitment. Join a line, stay in line. Wait as long as you want. Whether that's a day or two, the day of the show, an hour. You choose.

This check-in system rewards those who have the time & the money to take multiple days off work. Checking-in for 5 minutes, a couple of times a day. No reward for commitment, just reward for getting in a list quickly. Easy to do, when you know who's running the check-in system.

People will say, why didn't the locals start a fan-managed system first? The custom is Oz/NZ is camping. No one in their right mind will camp out for 3 days before a show. It's too difficult. But with the check-in system it's easy. Check-in for 5 minutes, a couple of times a day. If you've got a shift, do that for a couple of hours, once a day or two. Easy! So the check-in crew will pretty much always get the jump on the locals.

This trend was bucked in Brisbane. A local started the line two days out. A hard line, camping! You wait & earn your spot. This is a MUCH fairer system. Those ahead of you have earned their spot in line, shown some commitment!

The funny thing is, there's not that many committed people! Brisbane only had 30 campers. A GREAT mix of 60% internationals/40% locals. Early arrivals on the day of the show - whether they knew camping was allowed or not - could get a great number! A 4:00 arrival scored #31 in line. 4:30 #50, 5:00 #100.

Compared to the check-in system, where those that arrived at 4am - who didn't know, or couldn't participate - were greeted by a list of hundreds of people, none of whom were actually in attendance.

You tell me what's fairer & more equitable?

For the record. I have accommodation near the SCG, & have grudgingly joined the list (as I don't want to be shafted by hundreds of no more deserving fans). I also camped at Brisbane.
    I can sense your anger and it shouldn't happen in a U2 community which was at one point very considerate and fair. Sadly though, it does happen and people do have more resources than others.

I do believe through fair and honest waiting and greeting fans you will get a decent spot as the Tree and rail disperse quite a bit. I don't agree with International fans getting superior spots through connections. I think that the envy that is coming through your text can be quashed through effort, building alliances and time.

In events like this, any system of hierarchy, hard line or check in is going to have it's pitfalls. Just be decent to those around you, talk to them and good things will happen. I know Australia has waited a long time for this so from my experiences savour the position you have been afforded, let the rage subside and enjoy the show with your mates. Further, those who have put in hard time in the line will often say no as a sign of their commitment.
  11. That's my new twiiter handle or album name.

"Hard Time in the Line"