Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Legs (1): New Zealand, Australia and Asia
Shows: 15
  1. There has been dubious sell outs in U2 land for a long time.
  2. I'm not sure why they are so hung up on the term.
  3. I think their egos were very damaged from Popmart. Not only did they have low ticket sales, but also that fact was highly publicized. Guns n Roses play to a half full stadium and nobody gives a shit. But when U2 did it, the media took that story and ran with it! I remember reading an article in Rolling Stone about the poor ticket sales.

I think it's very important to them that they are at least perceived as a band that sells out every show. But that's definitely not the case. 360 had shows that were far from sellouts. Watch videos from Brisbane #2, Moscow, Istanbul.

Hell, last year in the US, they had ARENAS that didn't sell out, and needed the upper rear levels curtained off. I saw the 2nd Chicago show, which was like this. Everybody knows why those curtains are there, and yet they called the show a sellout.
  4. Yup, egos damaged after Pop.
  5. This is quite impressive - from the ARIA awards site...

U2 By The Numbers
    11 x #1 albums – the most for any group in the history of ARIA
    Over 55 Billion Streams Worldwide
    Over 170 Million Albums Sold Worldwide
    23 x Top Ten singles
    An incredible 79 x Platinum and 14 x Gold ARIA Accreditations
    24 weeks at #1 on the Albums Chart over their entire career
    16 x Top Ten albums
    19 x Top 50 Albums
    5 x #1 singles
    12 x weeks at #1 on the Singles Chart
    39 x Top 50 Singles
  6. All interesting comments..

But I think we're maybe overreading into U2's role in this. Do we really think someone from U2's management is frantically on the phone with LiveNation/Ticketmaster on the day of a concert? About this group of factory people, a sudden new sightline, couple of chairs that broke?

And even if that happens, why do other major acts not bother at all? Just leave it as a non sell-out with just a couple 100 tickets unsold. Guns n Roses has the same producer/promoter as U2, wouldn't that promoter want to make their tour look successful as well?
  7. Originally posted by wbarenno:I have noticed a lot of people buying tickets last minute for this tour . Just checked Perth and that’s now down to low availability. Sold loads over the past few days , down to the last few hundred
    Tickets becoming unavailable in the vendor's website doesn't mean they got sold last minute. It's rather common to pull out dozens or hundreds of tickets and move them to resale sites for a cheaper-than-face value or to give them away as press/invites. Believe me, I write concert reviews for a magazine and we know that happens. I often go to my "press assigned seats" and there's rows and rows of empty seats that were formerly available in general sale, and were pulled a few days/hours prior to the show.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Tickets becoming unavailable in the vendor's website doesn't mean they got sold last minute. It's rather common to pull out dozens or hundreds of tickets and move them to resale sites for a cheaper-than-face value or to give them away as press/invites. Believe me, I write concert reviews for a magazine and we know that happens. I often go to my "press assigned seats" and there's rows and rows of empty seats that were formerly available in general sale, and were pulled a few days/hours prior to the show.
    So the "capacity set by the venue" is rather a fluid thing than set upfront? Or do you mean giving them away would reduce tickets available for sale (and theoretically no empty seats), resulting in sell out?
  9. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    So the "capacity set by the venue" is rather a fluid thing than set upfront? Or do you mean giving them away would reduce tickets available for sale (and theoretically no empty seats), resulting in sell out?
    The "capacity set by venue" IS fluid and is NOT set upfront - as has been blatantly proved this tour, when the stage for Adelaide (I think it was Adelaide, not 100% sure) was moved forward some yards, reallocating the (few) seats that had been sold in the now-unavailable sections and making the "total available capacity" quite lower. I'll elaborate more in my next post But your second statement is also true and is more what I meant in my previous post.