Experience and Innocence tour
Legs (3): Promo tour, Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe
Shows: 79
  1. Originally posted by MattG:I watched an acoustic WGRYWH from the Vertigo Tour (Minneapolis, I think) and the crowd reaction when Bono sings "You're dangerous..." was thunderous. I think U2 has pandered a little more toward the "casual concertgoer" with the IE/JT tours, and I think the pendulum swings both ways...they pander, so the "casuals" come out. I doubt it would get as big of a reaction on this tour, but I hope we'll see.

On the flipside, I then watched the ZooTV Rotterdam performance, and the completely immersive, wall-of-sound coming from The Edge throughout the verses is just stunning. As always, I will enjoy every moment of the shows I see on EI, but I can't help but think they're missing a huge opportunity if they play it acoustic.

Just because people aren't as familiar with the song doesn't mean that if you do it true and right, people wouldn't still be blown away by it. Some of the best concert memories for me have been songs I didn't previously know, that I was Googling lyrics of, or searching the setlist for, just to obsess over the song for the rest of my life.

But if it's just a drab acoustic number in the middle, people will take it as a piss break and the reaction will temper.

Please U2, don't phone this one in! Such a big opportunity!
    +2
  2. Originally posted by MattG:I watched an acoustic WGRYWH from the Vertigo Tour (Minneapolis, I think) and the crowd reaction when Bono sings "You're dangerous..." was thunderous. I think U2 has pandered a little more toward the "casual concertgoer" with the IE/JT tours, and I think the pendulum swings both ways...they pander, so the "casuals" come out. I doubt it would get as big of a reaction on this tour, but I hope we'll see.

On the flipside, I then watched the ZooTV Rotterdam performance, and the completely immersive, wall-of-sound coming from The Edge throughout the verses is just stunning. As always, I will enjoy every moment of the shows I see on EI, but I can't help but think they're missing a huge opportunity if they play it acoustic.

Just because people aren't as familiar with the song doesn't mean that if you do it true and right, people wouldn't still be blown away by it. Some of the best concert memories for me have been songs I didn't previously know, that I was Googling lyrics of, or searching the setlist for, just to obsess over the song for the rest of my life.

But if it's just a drab acoustic number in the middle, people will take it as a piss break and the reaction will temper.

Please U2, don't phone this one in! Such a big opportunity!
    Yes, yes and yes.
  3. I'd happily take that From the Sky Down version of Horses. I just watch that documentary over and over again to see that version of the song.
  4. Originally posted by KieranU2:I'd happily take that From the Sky Down version of Horses. I just watch that documentary over and over again to see that version of the song.
    Agreed!
  5. Originally posted by KieranU2:I'd happily take that From the Sky Down version of Horses. I just watch that documentary over and over again to see that version of the song.
    It would be really cool to have gotten a bonus disc of those recordings. I know there are a couple available online like The Fly and Love Is Blindness.
  6. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]
    It would be really cool to have gotten a bonus disc of those recordings. I know there are a couple available online like The Fly and Love Is Blindness.
    That version of Love Is Blindess is haunting and beautiful
  7. It’s for Little Things.