1. Originally posted by popmarter:Best song on SOI ,Noel Gallagher said at the time it was the best song they ever did, even better is the 12inch mix of it on the vinyl in a way it's good it wasn't a regular in the live set as it makes it more of a hidden gem .
    Yes. It's a crime that version is only on the vinyl release. One of my favorite late career U2 songs. Loved it immediately. Great groove.

2. You reminded me of this: "There’s a track called The Showman, one of their best-ever songs. Fucking unbelievable. You know, I get to hear these four years in advance, tiny little demoes, and they’re always called something else. But that song, yeah, wish I’d written it, put it that way"
    We didn't get to hear it live on the e+i tour, but I believe an electric version of The Showman would be pretty cool to hear.
  3. Originally posted by iamcrazytonight:[..]

You reminded me of this: "There’s a track called The Showman, one of their best-ever songs. Fucking unbelievable. You know, I get to hear these four years in advance, tiny little demoes, and they’re always called something else. But that song, yeah, wish I’d written it, put it that way"
    We didn't get to hear it live on the e+i tour, but I believe an electric version of The Showman would be pretty cool to hear.
    I should have got this on a T-shirt. I remember reading a review or preview from the Guardian and they singled it out as well. Baffling.
  4. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    I should have got this on a T-shirt. I remember reading a review or preview from the Guardian and they singled it out as well. Baffling.
  5. Thats quit a big joke, The Showman one of U2 their best-ever songs........
  6. I guess there will be a few fans out there who are glad to see a fun, light hearted side to u2. It’s not why I listen to the band though so I think showman is one of there weaker songs but I’m not knocking people who like it or even love it.
  7. Originally posted by iamcrazytonight:[..]

You reminded me of this: "There’s a track called The Showman, one of their best-ever songs. Fucking unbelievable. You know, I get to hear these four years in advance, tiny little demoes, and they’re always called something else. But that song, yeah, wish I’d written it, put it that way"
    Yep. I remember watching that interview and being really excited for the song. When I first listened to the album I was listening to a song and was thinking to myself "What is this shit?" looked at my phone and it was the Showman Never been so disappointed.
  8. Originally posted by SJKamal:[..]
    Yep. I remember watching that interview and being really excited for the song. When I first listened to the album I was listening to a song and was thinking to myself "What is this shit?" looked at my phone and it was the Showman Never been so disappointed.
    You should have told Noel off in one of the different times you've met him
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:I guess there will be a few fans out there who are glad to see a fun, light hearted side to u2. It’s not why I listen to the band though so I think showman is one of there weaker songs but I’m not knocking people who like it or even love it.
    And if I might take this one step further, I believe that's quite common with U2 songs: A song I may relate to a lot and think is great, is another fan's choice for the band's worst song ever.
    About The Showman, yeah, it's nothing special (especially after Noel's hype), but an electric live version might have been something.
  10. Yeah....I forgot about that, how the Showman was raved about by those who heard it prior to the album being released.

Weird.
  11. Lol. I'll make it my objective for his London Palladium show.
  12. The Showman is phenomenally good. Everyone says they want U2 to try new things, well, there ya go: U2 as The Beatles in Hamburg. That’s different than anything they’ve done and I for one think it’s excellent.

But since we’re getting off-topic, The Crystal Ballroom - I’ve played this around lots of U2 casuals/uninitiated, and it has always met with positive reception. It feels rather 70s, not quite like classic U2 but still with that perfect U2 quality. Some lovely lyrics here.