1. Originally posted by germcevoy:Lovely show. The one from the night after is probably top 5 for me. Thee most chilled out of U2 shows. Everybody hungover.

I could react to this,.... but Sergio would only think that I am rubbing it in twice...
  2. Alow me a little personal story from 1993:

Those were the days before U2start. (Hell, there wasn't even internet..... )
    I was a member of the Dutch U2 fanclub and we received irregular letters (you now, those paper things in envelopes with stamps on it) from the fanclub, telling us there was a new album and to show up early at the ticket offices because you could only buy concerttickets in person then.
    My parents thought I was mentally ill or something, because I desperately wanted to see "the SAME U2 show for three nights in a row??" Yes I did.
    The fanclub sent us a letter asking us to donate for Bono's birthday present on may 10th. So I sent 15 guilders in an envelope (about 7 euro's nowadays, but in those days for me, a fair amount. After all the tickets allready costed me a fortune) .
    Naive as I was, I sort of beleived the phrasing in the letter that stated that several people from the Fanclub would be allowed on stage during the concert, presenting the birthdaypresent to Bono.

At the concert, I was shivering from excitement (and also because the concrete structure of the old Feijenoord Stadium actually and quite worryingly shook because of the volume), and anticipation.
    At some stage, in the middle of GA, there were a big inflated champagnebottle and also a inflatable/ inflated birthday cake, which made there way over people's heads to the stage. I thought it was a nice touch and when Bono celebrated his birthday on stage, the props actually reached him, so I thought: NOW the fanclubpeople will come on stage and give Bono our (and my!) birthday present. But nothing of the sort happened.
    It was an epic concert and yes I also was lucky enough to enjoy the next day concert, but lets not go into that.

A few days later I gathered myself and found the nerve to phone the fanclub, because I wanted to know were my money went and what we actually gave Bono. The answer was that the money went to the inflatable bottle and cake.
  3. I think I want to hear the rest.
  4. WOW man, that's amazing I would like to see pics of the inflatables and Bono with them - I doubt they exist though Damned non-digital times!! haha... Keep rubbing it in our faces, gotta love it

5. I never quite know if Gerard is cynical or serious, but I'll risk it... I digged up my old fanclub magazines and letters:

This roughly translates as: "U2 Holland wants to surprise BONO on his birthday on may 10th in De Kuip (the stadium), on behalve of all the fans. The surprise will be carried out professionally and is therefore too expensive for the fanclub. please send money in an envelope....."

And a photo afterwards, of the (walking!) champagnebottle and birthdaycake...
  6. hahahahaha, lol, it must have been so funny to see those things onstage

PS. Gerard wil never be cynical about Brussels 87 or Rotterdam 93
  7. Haha please send money in an envelope. Can you imagine that happening now?

Very interesting. Love the 3 shows though plus the rehearsal. Red Fly suit and all sorts.
  8. That's the best U2-related story I heard in months. Thanks for sharing Joost !

9. You're welcome
    To think that it was almost 20 (twenty!) years ago..... man, I'm getting old.
  10. Yes you are I mean, I was only 3 then
    Haha, just kidding, you can be glad you were there