1. Never thought about Luke's irrational reaction to death until now. Interesting point.
  2. Originally posted by BelgianBono:[..]
    Good
    Especially given the fact that it's from 1977. So the effects are quite ok for that time.
    Only minor for is that the character development and storyline seems rushed and sometimes strange... Eg Luke doesn't seem to care that much when his auntie and uncle are killed, whom he lived with for years, while he sobs multiple times for the death of Obi-Wan (or Ben) while in the movie it seems like he knew him for a few days or weeks.

Also: the story of "A new hope" can stand totally on its own. Death Star is destroyed. Thus so far it doesn't seem like it'll be a trilogy a-la Lord of the Rings, but ok, I'm eager the see the others
    Those points about Luke are very interesting
  3. Ok now I'm not sure if I said something really stupid (that might get explained in the other movies) or actually made a point.
  4. lol... "so the movie is 40 years old and no one noticed that before?!"

You made a valid point. But I think it's just...

a) the movie is 40 years old, storytelling changes a lot through the years. It doesn't seem odd in the narrative how it's presented. I mean, these movies have several moments when you need a lot of suspension of disbelief and even several plot holes. I'd say this is a minor one.

b) Probably that says more about uncle Owen and aunt Beru than it says about Luke...
    More precisely it says more about what they represented, they were the father figures he had in his boring-meaningless life, while Obi-Wan is the father figure he had in his new purposeful life.
    Also, while the Lars always were distant about Luke's origins, Obi-Wan remembered fondly and showed clearly how much he loved Luke's father, which means a lot for an orphan boy.

c) The death of uncle Owen and aunt Beru made Luck drastically change his life, and -I'm not sure about this... haven't seen it in a while- he takes quite some time digesting what happened... if I remember right, the iconic twin sun sunset scene is at this point ? either way, their deaths had a bigger impact on him than Obi Wan's.

d) (contradicting a bit the previous point) They died when he was just ready to move on with his life, when he had just found a new mentor, it was a crossroad point in his life. It was easier for him to see it as the "end of a cycle". When Obi-Wan died, he was left with no one else, he's the guy that was just starting to mentor him in his new found life... that could be more shocking...
  5. One question though:

Which version did you see... when they're in the bar, and Han Solo appears first, there's an alien bounty hunter that corners him, and after that... did Han shot first?
  6. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    lol... "so the movie is 40 years old and no one noticed that before?!"

You made a valid point. But I think it's just...

a) the movie is 40 years old, storytelling changes a lot through the years. It doesn't seem odd in the narrative how it's presented. I mean, these movies have several moments when you need a lot of suspension of disbelief and even several plot holes. I'd say this is a minor one.

b) Probably that says more about uncle Owen and aunt Beru than it says about Luke...
    More precisely it says more about what they represented, they were the father figures he had in his boring-meaningless life, while Obi-Wan is the father figure he had in his new purposeful life.
    Also, while the Lars always were distant about Luke's origins, Obi-Wan remembered fondly and showed clearly how much he loved Luke's father, which means a lot for an orphan boy.

c) The death of uncle Owen and aunt Beru made Luck drastically change his life, and -I'm not sure about this... haven't seen it in a while- he takes quite some time digesting what happened... if I remember right, the iconic twin sun sunset scene is at this point ? either way, their deaths had a bigger impact on him than Obi Wan's.

d) (contradicting a bit the previous point) They died when he was just ready to move on with his life, when he had just found a new mentor, it was a crossroad point in his life. It was easier for him to see it as the "end of a cycle". When Obi-Wan died, he was left with no one else, he's the guy that was just starting to mentor him in his new found life... that could be more shocking...
    Thanks for your long answer
    I can understand/live with point b and d. Makes the most sense.
    Like uncle & aunt were the boring, but necessary parents, that always tell you "just eat your vegetables and do your job in order to not let the bank take your house" while Obi-Wan says it's okay to rock 'n' roll and chase your dreams
    So I can get that. And the fact that it's difficult to show EVERY (little) emotion from the characters. You're right about the sun-set scene now you mention it. It just didn't strike me as sincere as the mentionings of Obi-Wan.

But indeed, it's just a minor concern. The broader image to me is that I thought such long movies would be boring, with less content (like the Hobbit movies), but it's actually not long enough to dig in everyone's story. But I guess they'll handle it in the other episodes
  7. Originally posted by Bloodraven:One question though:

Which version did you see... when they're in the bar, and Han Solo appears first, there's an alien bounty hunter that corners him, and after that... did Han shot first?
    That was really difficult to see imo...
    It seemed like they fired at the same time
    But Han didn't have a scratch, while the bounty hunter died, so I guess it was Han who shot first?
    I don't know really, too quick.
  8. Originally posted by BelgianBono:[..]
    That was really difficult to see imo...
    It seemed like they fired at the same time
    But Han didn't have a scratch, while the bounty hunter died, so I guess it was Han who shot first?
    I don't know really, too quick.
    If they shot at the same time you have the most recent version of the movie!

And in what order will you watch it? 451236?
  9. Originally posted by DutchU2Fan:[..]
    If they shot at the same time you have the most recent version of the movie!

And in what order will you watch it? 451236?
    Oh there's actually a difference?
    Han couldn't shoot at an immigrant without being shot at first?

Just 456123
  10. In the original, Greedo doesn't shoot at all. He just points the gun.
  11. Star Wars is, next to Tolstoy's novels and LOTR, the prime example that scenery is the most important part of storytelling.
    Speaking of which, the art of storytelling that is, I pretty much like the recurring story elements. It gives the story a cyclic
    quality that is quite unique for Hollywood and in fact for most of Western literature.
    I think this is also the key why people can see it over and over again.
    It's almost like a ritual. But most of all it is a story about balance.
    Perhaps it is the daoist movie par excelance ...
  12. I'm watching Revenge of the Sith right now, it's the only one I haven't seen. It's so sad

Order 66 went out...