1. Great stuff Jeff, well deserved
  2. Thanks for the nice words. Being a fan this long is great as there are so many fun experiences over the years.

If you listen to the San Diego Elevation bootleg, at one point you hear Bono mention how they had such memorable nights in San Diego. (They were in SD when the Joshua Tree went # 1. That was where they first played "Mothers of the Disappeared). And Bono then mentions 'some of you followed us back to the hotel'.

Guilty as charged.

There was a decent size group. Bono came out to see us. Maybe hotel management asked him too so that we'd leave? Hahaha... He signed autographs, took pictures. Someone had a guitar and soon enough it was in Bono's hands and we sang a few songs. People Get Ready and Knocking On Heaven's Door come to mind.

ZooTV tour, we were in Hershey as they setup for the Outside Broadcast rehearsals. Got a chance to talk to Dallas and Edge that day - and Larry and Bono the next. I had a long talk with Bono about "Even Better Than The Real Thing" (More on that in a minute) We were invited in to see the rehearsal. That was fantastic. The next day was the official dress rehearsal that they sold tickets for. We went to that too. So between those two days, I was one of the lucky folks that have heard them 'attempt' Acrobat'.

Couple of days later, at the New Jersey shows... met Bono and Edge again befroe the shows. Talked to Dallas again too. Bono mentioned to The Edge how much I'd told him I LOVED Edge's guitar playing on "Even Better Than The Real Thing". I was not a guitar player at that point and didn't know much about what Edge used or how he made all of those cool sounds. That was when I learned that the Whammy pedal was the sound of the intro to "Even Better Than The Real Thing". Then during the show... at the the intro of "Even Better Than The Real Thing" Bono says "Okay... Okay Jeff this is for you". I am not saying I know 100% that he meant me. In fact, there must have been some other Jeff that he knew. Maybe Jeff Goldblum was there or something. But I can say my eyes got big and I smiled every time I hear that bootleg.

Few months later... Melissa surprised me. She showed up and said we have to go get your passport. I said "why"? She said "You and me are going to Rotterdam!". I said "What the heck for?" She laughed and said: "U2, boy. U2!" We got there a few days early. I love Rotterdam! The people were so nice. We met fans from all around the globe. Tons from all over Europe, ofcourse. Plus some from Australia. And on May 7th, 1993... once again we got the nod to come inside and listen to the rehearsal. Lucky again!

Vegas Popmart... There early once again... Met all of the band plus Paul McGuinness while they rehearsed. We didn't get inside this time. But Sam Boyd is small and we could see and hear from outside. Good fun in the desert sun!

And the last dress rehearsal was the Vertigo dress rehearsal in LA. Went there there day before. I met a few other fans by the Sport Arena. We listened from outside as they played for a bit... then nothing... played a bit more and then nothing. Met the girl I dated for the past 5 years that day. So it was win/win all around. Later in the evening when the music had stopped for a half hour or so... we patiently waited, hoping that they would come out and say hello... and maybe... just maybe let us in for the dress rehearsal the next day. KROQ had given out tickets but the arena was in no way full from the contest winners. Sure enough... later that evening... first Adam Clayton.

He came out and signed pictures and CDs... took pictures with the 20 or so that were there. He was so nice, as they all usually are. I'd asked him "Did I hear right... I mean we heard from out hear but was that "An Cat Dubh" you were playing earlier? He smiled and said: "Oh yes, we're doing that one again." So nice.

And then Bono came out. Gavin was with him. Bono signed and took pictures and off he went. He was in a bit of a hurry but as his wife was with him and it was late, I can understand. He still signed for everyone and spent some time with us. He looked at my Best of 1990-2000 and said: "How do you spell buffalo?" I spelled it for him and he signed my CD cover "Buffalo Bono".

Then another car came out. It passed us by and you heard the 20 or so people all say "awwwwwww". But as we thought either Larry or Edge was driving of into the sunset... the car stopped and backed up. The door popped open and out came The Edge! We lined up calm and orderly. (Which if you do that, they are more likely to stop and sign) and Edge went down the line shaking hands and greeting us. He'd answered some questions and ws very nice. I was at the end of the line. After speaking for a few minutes he politely excused himself and went back to the front of the line and began signing items for people. Class act. Favorite guitarist. He also signed my Best of 1990-2000.

3. Holy shit man... You're one lucky dude.
  4. Jeff, you are one lucky man. Those stories are going to be my incentive of meeting them all one day. That read just made my night. Great interview.
  5. I hope that you do get to meet them. They are really nice guys. They just happen to have 60-80 thousand folks clap for them when they show up to work.

(Not a bad job, if you can get it, right?)

Another member sent me a private message and asked a question. I hope that he doesn't mind if I share.

The question was "which of The Edge's guitars is my favorite".

There are a lot that I like. None that I'd ever say "no" if they were offered to me.

But the one that holds a special place in my heart is his charcoal customized Clapton Stratocaster.

[

It might seem an odd choice being that it hasn't had a lot of 'stage time', other than a few shows during Lovetown and "The Fly" and "Desire" during the Zoo tours.

Although, you can see from Achtung Baby era photos and inner sleeve album photos, that Edge did apparently use the Clapton for the Achtung Baby sessions.

They had it in the "In the Name of Love: 2 Decades of U2" special exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (2003-2004). I must have stood there in front of that thing for close to an hour. I could see the finger grime on the fretboard... and the mauve paint spreckles that are on the guitar. The original charcoal finish got mauve spreckles and then the skeleton and snake were painted on. I love that thing! That would look great hanging in my livingroom... that and his Popmart boots sitting on top of my TV.

You'll notice, from the photo below, the guitar was altered since the ZOO tours and a mauve mirrored pickguard replaced the white pickguard.

Sadly My Clapton Stratocaster doesn't have the fancy paint job. But it does sounds pretty good. Even with me playing it!

(These pics below are a few of my guitars)
  6. Wow I've never seen that guitar? Image... Saved
  7. Consult your U2 ZOOTV Sydney DVD. Edge used it on "The Fly" on that. He'd used it on "Desire" earlier in the tour but by the last leg "Desire" had been dropped from the set.

8. And now a question for me!

"If I could ask The Edge one thing, what would it be"?

Simple. "Hey Edge, Morliegh got a (single) sister?" Hahahaha...

Just sayin'.

9. simply unbelievable!!!!
    you're one lucky guy!!!!!
  10. Originally posted by anstratdubh1979:Another member sent me a private message and asked a question. I hope that he doesn't mind if I share.

The question was "which of The Edge's guitars is my favorite".

There are a lot that I like. None that I'd ever say "no" if they were offered to me.

But the one that holds a special place in my heart is his charcoal customized Clapton Stratocaster.

[[image]

The member who PM-ed you was me, but I asked which is your favorite guitar EVER, not your Edge's favorite guitar

PS. I also do love the Eric Clapton strat, it looks amazing and sounds even better
  11. Great interview! I’m jealous reading all these exciting stories
  12. You are such a lucky guy! This stories are too good