1. I've actually soured on the band as of late because of this. I know they don't owe us a release or gave any concrete indication as to when was coming but I mean COME ON. They had the positive press from the Globes (and the win), the Super Bowl add, Invisible and the Fallon gig...

I'm just really disappointed that they didn't capitalize on this. So much so that I'm not really listening to them at the moment.

I also know that the minute something gets announced I'll be super excited and it'll be awesome but yeah...right now not so much.
  2. Originally posted by kris_smith87:I've actually soured on the band as of late because of this. I know they don't owe us a release or gave any concrete indication as to when was coming but I mean COME ON. They had the positive press from the Globes (and the win), the Super Bowl add, Invisible and the Fallon gig...

I'm just really disappointed that they didn't capitalize on this. So much so that I'm not really listening to them at the moment.

I also know that the minute something gets announced I'll be super excited and it'll be awesome but yeah...right now not so much.

If they pull out a strong enough album, it won't really make a difference I think... I think they're trying hard to do something stellar - let's hope they manage to some extent. It'll take the time it takes. It took a long time to DB to pull out a really great album out of the blue. It was worth the wait.
  3. Originally posted by JuJuman:[..]

If they pull out a strong enough album, it won't really make a difference I think... I think they're trying hard to do something stellar - let's hope they manage to some extent. It'll take the time it takes. It took a long time to DB to pull out a really great album out of the blue. It was worth the wait.

Also if they pull a Beyonce I'll be thrilled. haha
  4. It's at the point where I want to write an open letter to the band, offering to hear what they have in those 3 or so albums they had demoed. Obviously, this is the 13 year old in me that wrote a letter to CBS regarding the handling of Men At Work, when the label blew the chance to further promote their "Business As Usual" album by only releasing two singles. Sadly, a letter from a fan would never get to them. They may be my favorite band, but they are a huge Multi-Million/Billion dollar corporation. It's just they have given me so much joy. I'd help them for free with insight on what they have recorded. From the inside, there will always be "Yes-Men." How anybody could have said that "Moment of Surrender," was the greatest moment ever in the studio is Stand Up Comedy...pun intended.

The sad thing for me, is they probably have 10-15 really good to great songs already in those 3 albums, but are probably over thinking it, worrying about continuity, how the tracks blend, wanting a huge hit single, being "relevent," etc....I just don't care if the songs blend well...I just want the best they can give. If another "Horizon" is the best they have in them...I'll take it. If they could come up with a half-baked hodge podge ranging of Pop like experimental songs to the "safe" albums of the last 13 years, I'll take it...

Another sad thing for me was the very public complaining about "Ordinary Love." If making the song really got them off track, then they should have never mentioned it, or should have just turned the project down. Last time I checked the Mandela movie hasn't done all that well anyway, and Mandela probably deserved a better movie tribute. OL is a really really nice song though. I'd take an album of OL and Invisible clones with a few attempts at branching out into something different...

However, them doing NOTHING...makes me think they are scared, or have no confidence, even if the songs they have are strong, they may forget they are WAY older than the average pop act, and should be pleased with whatever they have.

I just want SOMETHING. If they continue to do NOTHING, they will cease to be relevent as a studio act, and may as well just continue the 360 tour 2010/2011 legs where they gave up on the new songs.

Just release it already!!!

And, yes, I've got a great ear for singles, good music, etc...but I would bet every penny I have they would never let me hear anything before release even if I had the miracle experience of meeting them before it is released...however, my chances may be better than I think, since at this rate, the album will be out by 2033.
  5. If they're scared of not being relevant and are delaying releasing anything, then they are fulfilling their own prophecy.

They need to release material to be relevant. It's that simple.

I'm really getting tired of all this. As a die-hard fan I'm starting to get bitter. That's not good for the U2 enterprise... As soon as you start pissing off your die-hards, you have a real problem.
  6. That sums up everyone's feelings right now. While the response wasn't outstanding over Ordinary Love and Invisible there was a hype behind those two releases that was pretty good for a band that has almost been together for 40 years.

They are not going to be able to compete with Beyonce's of the world and if that is their ultimate goal then just come out tomorrow and announce that you have disbanded. They are chasing "relevance" by becoming irrelevant in the process.

Makes you wonder what position the band would be in right now had Bono not had the back surgery and delayed the 360 tour. Would we have had "Songs of Ascent"?
  7. As rockband you don't have to compete with Beyonce for example.
    Even the new Coldplay is no competion for U2. Wallpapermusic from Coldplay.
    Bring out that new album and we will see
  8. I'll take the worst ever U2 album right now over 99% of anything for another artist. I'd rather have an average U2 album right now then a great one in 2018 when Bono's voice will sound older on some tracks. I shouldn't judge Beyounce, but I just see her as a pop artist with talent...I thought Jennifer Hudson was the better singer, but since she was overweight...hell, just see "Dreamgirls."
  9. Momentum in sport is a huge thing.

In music, maybe equally so.

As per an earlier posting I have just read:

''the Globes (and the win), the Super Bowl add, Invisible and the Fallon gig''

Had the momentum and to a certain degree, the hype too, have continued, then they would have been on a roll.

Just one big lost opportunity as far as I am concerned.

Whoever has been advising them over the past 3 - 4 years has done a poor job.
  10. Interesting, and potentially exciting. But: the whole story sounds a little suspicious to me. And: even if that's true, Nov 4 is too far ahead; it is probably a tentative deadline. Either they're still working on the album, which means it is still unfinished (and hence could still take years to complete...). Or it is finished, or almost finished - but, then, why wait that long? Only if they wanted to boost sales because of Christmas... oh well, wild speculation again!