1. Based on Bono's interviews and comments through the recent years, I beleive they're quite unsure about which style they will follow on their next album, so maybe you get a point on you comment, Victor.
  2. Originally posted by NLOTH_Victor:I didn´t see anyone talk about this: could the fact that Ordinary Love had a fairly bigger success made them insecure?

I mean, the song they released with the "feeling of the new album" or something like it - even though it was released later - has 1/3 of the views on youtube that the song they "quickly" wrote for the Mandela movie.

Could they have confronted two styles and the one that made most success threw them off the album they had underway?

That thought has be touched before yes. And I think it might be one of the causes yes...

Further on : I think a lot of (not all, see Streets) their best songs were quite quickly written and not overproduced. Exit, a jam session. Moment of Surrender, one take (they say). Pop, rushed. One is just a little hook, 4 chords they found in Mysterious Ways.

Their most simple songs are actually the best. But when you work 4 or 5 years on a song/album, it won't be simple.
    And Ordinary Love is more simple than Invisible. Invisible sounds VERY polished to me. Maybe an explanation OL is better received than Invisible.
  3. The only reason OL was bugger than Invisible is because when the song was released Mandela was dead or just about there. And regardless of that, at least where I am in Australia, invisible was ten times more successful than OL. OL only even got noticed because Mandela died, if not for that it would be down the bottom of the U2 pile
  4. Neither of the songs were big. U2 haven't been big since the release of Vertigo ten years ago.
  5. Originally posted by dylbagz:The only reason OL was bugger than Invisible is because when the song was released Mandela was dead or just about there. And regardless of that, at least where I am in Australia, invisible was ten times more successful than OL. OL only even got noticed because Mandela died, if not for that it would be down the bottom of the U2 pile

In most countries OL scored (very) well.
  6. Originally posted by dylbagz:The only reason OL was bugger than Invisible is because when the song was released Mandela was dead or just about there. And regardless of that, at least where I am in Australia, invisible was ten times more successful than OL. OL only even got noticed because Mandela died, if not for that it would be down the bottom of the U2 pile

+1

7. Holy shit, ten years ago already

8. Imo purely because the song was about Mandela and it just so happened to come out around the time he kicked the bucket

9. indeed. Though the wrote some enjoyable music since. But no big hits.
  10. Originally posted by dylbagz:[..]

Imo purely because the song was about Mandela and it just so happened to come out around the time he kicked the bucket

You've got a point.
    But I still think it's a better song than Invisible and therefore would've scored better anyway.

11. Yeah that's a nice punch in the gut, there. I remember those iPod commercials like they were on yesterday.