1. The same people who said the album was delayed!
    Not gonna believe anything until they post it themselves
  2. He's probably not far from the truth...
  3. For what is worth, some youtube stats:

Invisible, 3 millions and counting visualizations
    WOWY, 60 millions
    Coldplay, the two new songs recently released, 8 and 10 millions respectively [impressive!]
    Charlie Brown live: nearly 30 millions

If U2 try to be relevant now, they may keep trying for a long time.

On the other hand, who's to decide whether Invisible is effectively 10 times worse than Charlie Brown? That's probably for posterity to tell? So, Bono, I surely admire your fight for relevance. But thou shall sell less and less copies, and there's nothing thou can do about that... which by no means means your music isn't great. I for one much prefer Invisible to Charlie Brown
  4. Get out of the Coldplay corner and make music that doesn't sound so poppy. U2 isn't a rock band anymore, Coldplay isn't either.... But U2 has proven they can make other music than the pop things they did for their last albums.

They aren't going to beat them (Coldplay) when it comes to sales I guess, but do you really want to? Look at the worldwide charts, I prefer not the be in there when I look at the quality of the songs.

As in relevant, when Bono says something everybody listens, when Chris Martin speaks I don't think it will have the same influence.
  5. Originally posted by bartajax:Get out of the Coldplay corner and make music that doesn't sound so poppy. U2 isn't a rock band anymore, Coldplay isn't either.... But U2 has proven they can make other music than the pop things they did for their last albums.

They aren't going to beat them (Coldplay) when it comes to sales I guess, but do you really want to? Look at the worldwide charts, I prefer not the be in there when I look at the quality of the songs.

As in relevant, when Bono says something everybody listens, when Chris Martin speaks I don't think it will have the same influence.

Indeed, time to experiment... TUF, such a great album, beyond the singles...

In fairness, though, NLOTH was not exactly poppy - so they did try somehow.

Oh well... good luck to the 4 of them, whatever they come up with, I hope it'll be worth the wait. And that it won't be too poppy...
  6. Originally posted by JuJuman:[..]

Indeed, time to experiment... TUF, such a great album, beyond the singles...

In fairness, though, NLOTH was not exactly poppy - so they did try somehow.

Oh well... good luck to the 4 of them, whatever they come up with, I hope it'll be worth the wait. And that it won't be too poppy...

The singles of NLOTH were, Boots, Magnificent and Crazy are horrible songs imo and the poppy songs on that album.

It could have been worse with Stand Up Comedy but great songs like MOS, UC, Fez and the title song were better, don't know if they would have worked better as a single but I think it are better songs.
  7. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]

The singles of NLOTH were, Boots, Magnificent and Crazy are horrible songs imo and the poppy songs on that album.

It could have been worse with Stand Up Comedy but great songs like MOS, UC, Fez and the title song were better, don't know if they would have worked better as a single but I think it are better songs.

I like Magnificent! But yes, GOYB isn't exactly my favorite U2 song... and neither is Crazy Tonight.

8. Exactly my point. Why so desperately trying to be relevant? They know that time will come, sooner or later. And even without a successfull album they still sell out a massive world tour (U2360).

They have millions of fans across the globe, they should focus on making music for them and for themselves. Not to sound like U2 in their 30's with some 'ultra cool and modern' album which fails at every point. Because they aren't 30 anymore and because the world of music is constantly changing.

Seems to me that they want to prove themselves. 'Look at us, we can still do it, we still have it'. U2360 showed that they still have it. My fear is that the desperate attempts to be relevant are working against them.
  9. Originally posted by MWSAH:[..]

Exactly my point. Why so desperately trying to be relevant? They know that time will come, sooner or later. And even without a successfull album they still sell out a massive world tour (U2360).

They have millions of fans across the globe, they should focus on making music for them and for themselves. Not to sound like U2 in their 30's with some 'ultra cool and modern' album which fails at every point. Because they aren't 30 anymore and because the world of music is constantly changing.

Seems to me that they want to prove themselves. 'Look at us, we can still do it, we still have it'. U2360 showed that they still have it. My fear is that the desperate attempts to be relevant are working against them.

Indeed, exactly my thoughts. Hopefully they'll get there too... I was waiting for a new JT in the first place (U2... Danger Mouse...), and that's also what Bono seems to be expecting from himself and the band. But, indeed, it's probably not a helpful thought to have -- for him, for the band, for us fans... I hope they'll manage to enjoy making music and focus on the music, whatever they'll come up with.
  10. I didn´t see anyone talk about this: could the fact that Ordinary Love had a fairly bigger success made them insecure?

I mean, the song they released with the "feeling of the new album" or something like it - even though it was released later - has 1/3 of the views on youtube that the song they "quickly" wrote for the Mandela movie.

Could they have confronted two styles and the one that made most success threw them off the album they had underway?