1. Originally posted by Edi:I know I am reporting this 20 years late, but I don't think Mofo worked that well live, better on record. Live I though it lumpy and leaden....but I would still be happy to hear any Pop !
    I think Mofo is one of their best songs live and together with Pop Muzik is my favorite opener of all times. I only regret that the last verse was dropped quickly after 8 or 10 shows.
    Different strokes.
  2. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    I think Mofo is one of their best songs live and together with Pop Muzik is my favorite opener of all times. I only regret that the last verse was dropped quickly after 8 or 10 shows.
    Different strokes.
    Great song live, album version for me is good, but live is great, an amazing opener.
  3. Bring back some Pop songs
    But dont bring back Adam's bass!
  4. If we could only pick one song from pop to feature on the E&I tour what would it be, I would pick gone.
  5. And the lyrics seem to be "update"
  6. I know we all love Please, but I'm not sure I'd pick Please. Maybe just because I didn't see it live? I don't know.

I'd probably pick Gone, Staring At The Sun, or Last Night On Earth. (But of course I love Discotheque and Mofo and Please...)
  7. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    Different strokes.
    At the time I compared Zoo Station as an opener tp Mofo.

I love both songs (I love the heavy stuff) but whereas ZS was great on record and live, I found it live lacking the clarity of the album & some of the intricacies getting lost ie, the searing getting getting munged by the drums and bass.

Gone I think worked brilliantly in both domains, Staring at the Sun was better live IMHO, Please was great.

20 years ago this month since I saw Pop in Paris.
  8. I still think there's at least a decent argument to be made that Last Night On Earth is the best rock song they've written in the past 20 years...
  9. Originally posted by Hoosier2012:I still think there's at least a decent argument to be made that Last Night On Earth is the best rock song they've written in the past 20 years...
    I prefer New York but Last Night On Earth is great. Most underrated song? I know there's a thread for that but I can't remember seeing many negative comments about it yet it doesn't get played live anymore and not many outwith the die hard fan base talk about it.
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I prefer New York but Last Night On Earth is great. Most underrated song? I know there's a thread for that but I can't remember seeing many negative comments about it yet it doesn't get played live anymore and not many outwith the die hard fan base talk about it.
    LNOE is maybe my least favorite track on Pop, go figure.
    It sounds to me a bit ordinary, I don't know...
    I think Mofo and Gone are more/better rock tracks that LNOE.

Actually, I think Pop is a great rock album. I think the name and cover of the album (and the whole image of everything surrounding it) tricked my mind into perceiving it as a way more pop/electronica/emd album than it really is.
    I still think that a different name, a darker not shinny colourful cover, and a lead single not named Discotheque, would've made me think very different of this album.
  11. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    LNOE is certainly one my favourite tracks of the Popmart dvd
  12. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    LNOE is maybe my least favorite track on Pop, go figure.
    It sounds to me a bit ordinary, I don't know...
    I think Mofo and Gone are more/better rock tracks that LNOE.

Actually, I think Pop is a great rock album. I think the name and cover of the album (and the whole image of everything surrounding it) tricked my mind into perceiving it as a way more pop/electronica/emd album than it really is.
    I still think that a different name, a darker not shinny colourful cover, and a lead single not named Discotheque, would've made me think very different of this album.
    I'm quite amazed actually at how some early to mid Ought-Rock (2000-2005 say) sounds like Pop. Listen to 'Hot Fuss' by The Killers, some early Kings Of Leon, and I'm sure many more albums at the time tell me that Pop wasn't way ahead of it's time. I said this 10 years ago that history will be kind to Pop, but 20 years on and it's still not getting the justice it deserves