1. I fucking love those two men
  2. Noel Gallagher is a lucky man - his wife is gorgeous. And she was raised just 10 minutes from where I live. Does she have a sister?

3. Haha it's crazy we have to put up with this

4. I know. I've said it at least 20 of those 1,000 times. Just getting tired of complaining about the new album that is looking more and more like 2015 or 2016. At this point, whenever it comes out, I think they owe this to us:

Disc 1: The actual album
    Disc 2 The songs that did not make the album Part 1
    Disc 3 The songs that did not make the album Part 2
    Disc 4 The songs that are not relevant
    Disc 5 Demos of some of the other songs

This way, we get everything. 5 discs for $29.99 USA or just the 1
    disc for the casual fan who will probably not buy it anyway.
  5. Originally posted by pleasegone:[..]

I know. I've said it at least 20 of those 1,000 times. Just getting tired of complaining about the new album that is looking more and more like 2015 or 2016. At this point, whenever it comes out, I think they owe this to us:

Disc 1: The actual album
    Disc 2 The songs that did not make the album Part 1
    Disc 3 The songs that did not make the album Part 2
    Disc 4 The songs that are not relevant
    Disc 5 Demos of some of the other songs

This way, we get everything. 5 discs for $29.99 USA or just the 1
    disc for the casual fan who will probably not buy it anyway.

I can't imagine any band selling five discs of music for 29.99...
  6. This might be a disappointing question, and I'm sure it's been asked before. But is the general consensus that this will probably be their last album? The albums are taking longer and longer to make and it seems as though the band are becoming more and more concerned with their place in the industry. I wouldn't be surprised if they looked at the way their 80's and 90's peers in R.E.M did it and said "That's the way we should go too." The band have always said they can't see themselves doing anything else, but the thing is they all are doing other things at this point in time. Not to mention the health problems that they might run into while touring. They're not young bucks anymore. Sure the Stones still get on the rode, but they've basically become a caricature.

What was it Bono said? "Two crap albums and you're out." Well I know NLOTH was polarizing around here, but to me if the next album is crap - after all this time and all this concern from the band, it'll likely be their last. Even if it's not crap, I think it's impossible to reach the heights they want it to. I still say it's a miracle a band their age had a number 1 hit (Vertigo) when they were in their mid-40s so long after they peaked (according to most anyway).

Rant over! (Just trying to get some discussion going here as coming here everyday is a little tragic when you're looking for some good U2 talk)
  7. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:This might be a disappointing question, and I'm sure it's been asked before. But is the general consensus that this will probably be their last album? The albums are taking longer and longer to make and it seems as though the band are becoming more and more concerned with their place in the industry. I wouldn't be surprised if they looked at the way their 80's and 90's peers in R.E.M did it and said "That's the way we should go too." The band have always said they can't see themselves doing anything else, but the thing is they all are doing other things at this point in time. Not to mention the health problems that they might run into while touring. They're not young bucks anymore. Sure the Stones still get on the rode, but they've basically become a caricature.

What was it Bono said? "Two crap albums and you're out." Well I know NLOTH was polarizing around here, but to me if the next album is crap - after all this time and all this concern from the band, it'll likely be their last. Even if it's not crap, I think it's impossible to reach the heights they want it to. I still say it's a miracle a band their age had a number 1 hit (Vertigo) when they were in their mid-40s so long after they peaked (according to most anyway).

Rant over! (Just trying to get some discussion going here as coming here everyday is a little tragic when you're looking for some good U2 talk)

I share and understand the concern, although the future is always open - think Bowie. If album and tour go well, there'll be another album. If they're not so successful...

I agree with the bottom line: even an album full of great songs almost certainly won't be as successful as they'd want it to be. They should lower their expectations, and just concentrate on the music. But will they?

Bono's a big ego, and they've ended the biggest tour in history. In all likelihood, it is only downhill from there - commercially, at least. Will Bono accept this? The sooner he will, the more he'll enjoy these years, I think.

This said, they have quite some music in the vault, and they'll keep writing for a while no matter what, I'm sure.
  8. Doesn't mean they wont tour with their older stuff
  9. Originally posted by JuJuman:[..]

I share and understand the concern, although the future is always open - think Bowie. If album and tour go well, there'll be another album. If they're not so successful...

I agree with the bottom line: even an album full of great songs almost certainly won't be as successful as they'd want it to be. They should lower their expectations, and just concentrate on the music. But will they?

Bono's a big ego, and they've ended the biggest tour in history. In all likelihood, it is only downhill from there - commercially, at least. Will Bono accept this? The sooner he will, the more he'll enjoy these years, I think.

This said, they have quite some music in the vault, and they'll keep writing for a while no matter what, I'm sure.

On the last sentence: if the album isn't out by the end of the year, I think it is overwhelmingly likely that Electric Lady studios, Bono's home and villa etc. will be put under siege, and eventually raided by fans, who will uncover, and publish, all kinds of recordings. So it'll be OK either way: one way or other, I know we'll all be listening to new U2 music within months

10. I don't think this has been discussed, but BBC Radio 2 are running a poll to find the greatest guitar riff. There's a list of 100 songs to choose from featuring many artists we talk about regularly here and U2 with Pride.

Link
  11. Originally posted by iTim:I don't think this has been discussed, but BBC Radio 2 are running a poll to find the greatest guitar riff. There's a list of 100 songs to choose from featuring many artists we talk about regularly here and U2 with Pride.

Link

Voting only available for UK residents.