1. It’s the first time I’d be more than happy for the band not to have a release to represent a tour or in this case residency. To me it’s never been u2 anyway because Larry isn’t there. I’ll be glad when the shows are finished and likely won’t ever revisit them, just looking forward to new material that they tour with Larry.
  2. Nope, they need an official document.
  3. Originally posted by felix2:Exactly. With a drummer BVDB who didn't compose a single song for U2, but only imitated and copied Larry Mullen J.'s drumming. One just wonders what reason there was for doing something like that. It wouldn't make sense because U2 would then have to give money to BVDB for every DVD and Blu-ray disc sold. And the management and the record company don't go along with it.

I think you underestimate how professional musicians and especially a band like U2 works. If royalties were to be negotiated I am sure a band that has a profound understanding on making sure royalties are divided in equal parts, will at least consider the buy-out etc. for Bram's appearance on any possible future releases. He will not get any publishing rights perhaps, but I do believe he still has some sync rights as well as he performs on said possible releases. Any professional band would see that as fitting and just. And the U2 organisation surely keeps their eye out for fellow performers in this case. He is doing a more than capable job, his contribution to making these (very profitable) Sphere shows happen is quite huge.
  4. If they release something I'd buy it but if they don't can't say I care much.It doesn't feel like a proper U2 tour anyway as good as the Sphere looks.
  5. Yep. I probably wouldn't watch it more than once. But I would like everything the band do to have an official document.
  6. Originally posted by ears:[..]

I think you underestimate how professional musicians and especially a band like U2 works. If royalties were to be negotiated I am sure a band that has a profound understanding on making sure royalties are divided in equal parts, will at least consider the buy-out etc. for Bram's appearance on any possible future releases. He will not get any publishing rights perhaps, but I do believe he still has some sync rights as well as he performs on said possible releases. Any professional band would see that as fitting and just. And the U2 organisation surely keeps their eye out for fellow performers in this case. He is doing a more than capable job, his contribution to making these (very profitable) Sphere shows happen is quite huge.
    Do you seriously think that U2, the record company and the management, who are so focused on money, would give a piece of their cake to BVDB? They would be stupid. BVDB is not the author of the composition of U2's music and it is not BVDB's intellectual property of all U2's music since he did not compose anything. BVDB didn't write a single song for U2 etc. He will get a fee per appearance, nothing more and nothing less.
  7. hah, short answer: yes!
    But we're talking different sort of payments. There's is the normal structure where he is paid either a flat fee, a per show fee or a retainer (salary) for the duration of the Sphere shows (to include rehearsals prior and during and any other promotional activities, e.g. U2.com clips etc). Then, to include any possible recordings they could agree to some form of royalties as his drumming contributes to the show, as well as his likeness is used in the recording (a buy-out). This is not uncommon, and any commercial entity like Maverick or Universal would understand that by paying these fees they could possibly create a recording that generates a healthy profit (e.g. sell to Disney+ or Netflix, iTunes revenue, oldskool Bluray or even vinyl). Larry (and the other members) would still receive royalties from the song catalogue on the recording, but for the performance itself.. yes they would more than happy to pay Bram for his drumming.
  8. Originally posted by felix2:[..]
    Do you seriously think that U2, the record company and the management, who are so focused on money, would give a piece of their cake to BVDB? They would be stupid. BVDB is not the author of the composition of U2's music and it is not BVDB's intellectual property of all U2's music since he did not compose anything. BVDB didn't write a single song for U2 etc. He will get a fee per appearance, nothing more and nothing less.
    If they're so focused on money, why would they sacrifice the income of a video release just to avoid sharing the profits with someone that they've had a quality working arrangement with? Most of the profits of a sale is better than no income by not releasing anything if your goal is to get more money.
  9. I wonder how long stuff like this will remain in the vault…. For example, The Stones (15-20 years U2’s senior) still have stuff stashed away and are gradually releasing it. Will U2 do the same for the next few decades?

Selfishly, I hope not.
  10. bstie1198, ears

As you have noticed, sales of CD, DVD and Blu Ray continue to stagnate. U2 wouldn't make a big profit with this because it comes from the record company. U2 earns almost nothing from this, only the record company. Yes, you can sell the right of use to streaming service providers, etc.
  11. Originally posted by RUMMY:I wonder how long stuff like this will remain in the vault…. For example, The Stones (15-20 years U2’s senior) still have stuff stashed away and are gradually releasing it. Will U2 do the same for the next few decades?

Selfishly, I hope not.
    Probably end up like Zappa, Hendrix etc looking after their family long after death, although im sure U2 aren't capable of that either!
  12. The one and only question is: do they think a release (whether it's streaming, theatrical, or dvd/bluray) will do the Sphere justice? It's possible that MSG won't even allow a release. They might want to keep the Sphere as a live/in-person experience for as long as possible.