2023-12-15 - Las Vegas
Tour: U2:UV Achtung Baby at the Sphere
Songs played: 23
Audio recordings: 3
  1. Originally posted by RUMMY:Aren’t live shows (ie, concerts) all about “the moment” and recordings more of a bonus?

Heck, a lot of the YouTube uploads sound pretty terrible but if you were there… magic.

Yes live shows are about the moment but to make a performance great it needs to be amazing both live in the moment and in the aftermath. If it’s not that great to listen to or watch then the reality is you've been caught up in the event. Every single concert is great to someone depending on location in the venue, mindset going into it etc so to determine what is actually great means considering more than someone saying ‘well I was there and it was great’ literally the worst argument ever.
  2. Haven't heard anyone mention the eye contact between Bono and Edge leading into Christmas Baby Please Come home... It was almost like it was still a last second call and Bono wanted to make sure they were on the same page - even with the hand gesture to lock eyes....
  3. Also - I'm not sure if this has been hashed out in the previous show threads yet - but since some were bringing up closing with Beautiful Day - I had one "little" thing that would have "just been nice" - with all the call backs to the original Zoo TV tour - it really would have been special to me if they would have pulled out Can't Help Falling In Love With You as outro music. I mean, nothing against Louis Armostrong and What A Wonderful World - but walking out to Elvis just like in 1992 would have been a really nice touch for me....
  4. Really loved the crowd involvement with COBL, looks like its still a popular song even if it doesn't get played all the time.
  5. Originally posted by attentionbaby:[..]

Yes live shows are about the moment but to make a performance great it needs to be amazing both live in the moment and in the aftermath. If it’s not that great to listen to or watch then the reality is you've been caught up in the event. Every single concert is great to someone depending on location in the venue, mindset going into it etc so to determine what is actually great means considering more than someone saying ‘well I was there and it was great’ literally the worst argument ever.
    In your opinion
  6. Originally posted by attentionbaby:[..]
    Nah, if it doesn’t translate well on recordings/YouTube it couldn’t have been that great. The good and great moments are good and great however you listen to or view them, this whole ‘you need to have been there’ nonsense is just a defence for a poor/average performance that fans get caught up in when in attendance.

My troll allert buzzer just activated
  7. Originally posted by attentionbaby:[..]
    Nah, if it doesn’t translate well on recordings/YouTube it couldn’t have been that great. The good and great moments are good and great however you listen to or view them, this whole ‘you need to have been there’ nonsense is just a defence for a poor/average performance that fans get caught up in when in attendance.

Fascinating.

8. I was one of those people in the 300 level Friday night. Can confirm that there were a ton of us in my section (302) that were going nuts when this started. And that was after going nuts and singing along with the songs that came before it. (I haven't been to 100 U2 shows, but I've lucked out and caught a lot of cool rarities!!! This was my third and final visit to this run at the Sphere, and somehow I lucked out and got this shocker.)
  9. listening to Tapehead2's recording of this night, this is definitely one of the top performances at Sphere so far. It might be her excellent recording, but I've not yet heard the crowd being so into it during the turntable set, singing along so loud. Happy to hear this show got locked down with some great recordings