1. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

Beautiful Day

The Fly

With Or Without You

Zoo Station

I think the biggest difference is in Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. So which one do you prefer?

Cheers,

J
  2. It's not a contest.
  3. Bad comparison on source video.

You should stick with one source (Berlin 2018 perhaps) and then compare with one source from Sphere 2023. Then strip all of the band and run it through an AI-stemming software. Then you're only listening to the drum extraction.
  4. And gee whiz, what a controversial thread. Imagine that U2 fans would prefer the OG U2 drummer of 40+ years as opposed to the dude that is just trying to hold the fort down.
  5. There is no point in comparing. Jugding by the vids and boots they seem to enjoy playing together and Bram is very much up to the task and delivers.
    That is what is important right now.

I could compare them from a musical point of view, but I won't, as I don't see a reason to do so.

Zach Jones, a drummer on tour with Sting at the moment, put it very well in a recent interview.
    He doesn't try to copy Viennie , and he couldn't, because he is not Viennie, he is Zach and he plays ike he, Zach, does. He got the gig and he delivers.
    Bram got the gig and he delivers, playing like Bram does.
  6. Amidst all the chaos in Vegas, I get the impression that Larry has been somewhat forgotten. I'd like to remind, with all due respect to Bram and his performance, that Bram is just a stand-in. Despite being cool, professional, and seemingly loyal, it's not his place. Some argue there's no reason to compare him to Larry. Well, I'll compare, even without a reason. Bram doesn't even come close to Larry. He's merely a backdrop, adding no individuality to the team, not a personality. There's only one Larry, and even if his playing style is a bit simpler than what Bram presents, Mr. Mullen still rules and is unparalleled. Remember this, not only when Larry returns but especially now, in his absence.

Larry >>> Bram
  7. Originally posted by raf90:Amidst all the chaos in Vegas, I get the impression that Larry has been somewhat forgotten. I'd like to remind, with all due respect to Bram and his performance, that Bram is just a stand-in. Despite being cool, professional, and seemingly loyal, it's not his place. Some argue there's no reason to compare him to Larry. Well, I'll compare, even without a reason. Bram doesn't even come close to Larry. He's merely a backdrop, adding no individuality to the team, not a personality. There's only one Larry, and even if his playing style is a bit simpler than what Bram presents, Mr. Mullen still rules and is unparalleled. Remember this, not only when Larry returns but especially now, in his absence.

Larry >>> Bram
    Silly. It's not his place? It has been for 40 shows. And you said that Larry's playing style is simpler than what Bram presents? That's absolutely debatable. You mention that Bram/his drumming is a backdrop - well, duh. A drummer's personality and individuality come through by spending a career with a band. Of course Bram was coming into these performances to, by and large, quietly and respectfully stay in the background and be the "backdrop." Like you're complaining about what he was hired to do. Just sounds like someone is highly insecure about someone else playing in Larry's absence.
  8. Originally posted by bonoschild:[..]
    Silly. It's not his place? It has been for 40 shows. And you said that Larry's playing style is simpler than what Bram presents? That's absolutely debatable. You mention that Bram/his drumming is a backdrop - well, duh. A drummer's personality and individuality come through by spending a career with a band. Of course Bram was coming into these performances to, by and large, quietly and respectfully stay in the background and be the "backdrop." Like you're complaining about what he was hired to do. Just sounds like someone is highly insecure about someone else playing in Larry's absence.
    Wonderful story.
  9. Bono mentions Larry’s absence every night?
  10. You could also make comparisons of Larry with Larry. Larry's often changed up the way he plays songs from tour to tour. Think of how differently he played The Fly on the The Vertigo Tour and 360 Tour compared with other tours.

From what I've heard of Bram, he's doing a solid job of covering for Larry. He sticks to the main ideas behind Larry's beats while putting his own stamp on them. I like what he does at the end of the guitar solo in Love Is Blindness - something which I don't think Larry has ever played (correct me if I'm wrong). But then again I'm not used to hearing the washy hi-hat sound in One - especially on beats 2 and 4 where Larry usually doesn't play the hi-hat at all.

All in all, I miss Larry but Bram's doing a good job filling in and has brought some interesting ideas of his own.

11. And that's pretty much the thread wrapped up right there. Nicely said.
  12. BVDB imitates Larry Mullen Junior's drumming. This is not the drumming that all of us as true U2 fans are used to hearing. This has nothing to do with anything of your own. There's no art in re-enacting something. BVDB also didn't compose the songs that he recreated from U2.