1. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]
    SOS definitely started as an Edge solo project. Larry Mullen still signed off on it before it was sent for release, and was still part of the final decision making process. He’s also on the album.

He also signed off on Las Vegas, regardless of what some 13 year old clip might suggest. All four of them signed off on doing it then his opportunity to get his body fixed came up. He’s still been involved in rehearsals, the program, some of the other decisions around the show, and getting Bram ready to temporarily replace him, and a new song to celebrate Vegas every night.

It might surprise you just how much Larry signs off on (or the other three for that matter) and just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean all four of them didn’t sign off on the final project we got.
    100% agreed to everything you have written.

2. sorry to keep asking such trivial things, but in the timeline of things is it confirmed that Larry signed on to do Sphere when it would have been him performing it -and THEN his health issues popped up taking him out of it?
    OR were his health issues already keeping him out of performing when he signed for rest of the band to do sphere without him?

Althou the original talk of a verbal commitment was years back, I seem to recall them relieving the actual signing on paper was much later (like early 2023), even after the Dec 2022 Kennedy Honors Award
  3. That video really sucks as 'Atomic City live'

As a Sphere compilation on the other hand....
  4. Originally posted by thefly07:[..]
    I think that quote is out of context in regards to the Sphere. Here, I think Larry is referring to Vegas as the place artists go to to retire and become caricatures of themselves. U2 obviously has no signs of retiring and the Vegas stint is almost over so I don't think using this clip as ammo for trying to prove Larry didn't sign off on all this is a tired attempt.

"the place artists go to to retire and become caricatures of themselves" that's exactly what they are doing glorifying an Album /Tour that's 30 years old
  5. After JT’17 & ‘19 + current AB bullshit Vegas run = U2 nostalgia act. I do like AB, but doing Vegas in front of that crowd?
    The work after AYCLB is not good (some great tunes ok). U2 should quit or maybe there’s something left i don’t know. That Glorify fuss i don’t get it. Trying to be relevant. So i don’t expect annything, hoping for maybe a nice box sets of POP/ zooropa stuff and listening to artists that do release great tunes and not strive to be no1 on whatever list.
  6. Originally posted by Pipo:After JT’17 & ‘19 + current AB bullshit Vegas run = U2 nostalgia act. I do like AB, but doing Vegas in front of that crowd?
    The work after AYCLB is not good (some great tunes ok). U2 should quit or maybe there’s something left i don’t know. That Glorify fuss i don’t get it. Trying to be relevant. So i don’t expect annything, hoping for maybe a nice box sets of POP/ zooropa stuff and listening to artists that do release great tunes and not strive to be no1 on whatever list.
    Well, wasn’t in Vegas for first run of shows myself, but when 2024 shows were announced decided to go.
    Yes nostalgia act can be said. Still I think only a few tunes are known to wide public (so cruel, acrobat, horses, lib, arms around the world and more like seconds are totally unknown to them). They left out a lot of mainstream crowd pleasers too.
    Experienced them live in Vegas I can truly say they are very relaxed, playful, and played energetic and excellent.
    And yes crowd is partly different but at GA first rows you don’t notice that at all and are just having a blast.
    Still prefer a regular tour with new music but this run of shows certainly have my blessing.

Also disagree that after ATYCLB they didn’t put out good records, but that topic for another moment in time
  7. I tend to agree with Pipo.

I listened to Unforgettable Fire today in full. The sense of discovery and exploration in the music and the sense of longing and reaching for what the singer doesn't have/doesn't know are so powerful. That, to me, is the essence of U2. I haven't heard much of that in a long time from them. Certainly not in Atomic City. I don't want to believe they stopped being that band a long time ago, but...
  8. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]

"the place artists go to to retire and become caricatures of themselves" that's exactly what they are doing glorifying an Album /Tour that's 30 years old
    If it was an indefinite residency I would be inclined to agree with you. Sure, I'd rather U2 be promoting new material but that seems to be around the corner, so I think they are far from the Las Vegas caricatures of themselves.
  9. Lol, this video title!

10. Originally posted by dstankie:I tend to agree with Pipo.

I listened to Unforgettable Fire today in full. The sense of discovery and exploration in the music and the sense of longing and reaching for what the singer doesn't have/doesn't know are so powerful. That, to me, is the essence of U2. I haven't heard much of that in a long time from them. Certainly not in Atomic City. I don't want to believe they stopped being that band a long time ago, but...
    Think tbh that’s something that’s unrealistic. Yes I would love too. But also seeing myself at mid 40s my mind works differently from mid 20s.
    So I think we can’t expect that form
    U2 now. I think it’s still amazing the kind of music they produce.
    Think us thinking like you both say is us being nostalgic
  11. Originally posted by martijnu2start:[..]
    Think tbh that’s something that’s unrealistic. Yes I would love too. But also seeing myself at mid 40s my mind works differently from mid 20s.
    So I think we can’t expect that form
    U2 now. I think it’s still amazing the kind of music they produce.
    Think us thinking like you both say is us being nostalgic
    And btw not saying they shouldn’t abort the overproduced stuff and be far more reassured to go
    For different kind of singles (miners of surrender would for example would be a far better statement back then then Vertigo).