1. Originally posted by AllBecauseOfU2:[..]

Yeah, but...eh, I don't know. He wasn't properly trained, sure, and he was only 19/20 when they recorded it, but like Harry said, it's the raw energy that really gives the entire album its uniqueness and makes its listenable. Not many bands today have that. Actually, not many bands did then either.

The one song I've always, always skipped over on the album, and on bootlegs/DVDs, is An Cat Dubh. Worse than listening to that early version of Twilight for me.

I was listening to some of the album yesterday, and decided that Out of Control and Stories for Boys weren't that bad, the singing was at least bearable.

And out of curiosity, are many of you basing your opinion on the album out of live performances of the songs? Because they might be significantly improved from the studio versions, i haven't listened to any bootlegs of their early stuff.

But for eg. Party Girl (which I like) is much better live from Under a Blood Red Sky, than it is on A Celebration, so maybe that's why I don't like the album as much as the rest of you.
  2. For me:

Elvis Presley & America and 4th of july
  3. Wow! Big bump...I thought maybe this topic was a bit taboo.

I don't think it's fair to include b-sides/rarities and some songs may not be god awful but since they were released as singles they get mentioned. For me, I tend to think of:

1. When Love Comes To Town
    2. Is That All?
    3. The Playboy Mansion
    4. A Man and a Woman
    5. The Hands That Built America
    6. Trip Through Your Wires
    7. The Refugee
    8. Red Light

I'll end it there and speak no more of it.
  4. The Hands That Built America and Trip Thru Your Wires are fantastic songs in my opinion. I can understand your strong disliking of Red Light, The Refugee, Is That All and even Playboy Mansion, but those two are really good methinks.
  5. The Hands That Built America is fantastic, TTYW is nothing special, it's kinda like Wild Honey's big brother.
  6. Speakin' poorly of Scarlet and Miami...oh the way we were as youngin's.

7. WIld horses
  8. Playboy Mansion, The Refugee, or Wild Honey.
  9. I like Playboy Mansion. There aren't many songs on War I love, though.
  10. Love The Playboy Mansion.

HATE Wild Honey. Hate hate hate.
  11. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3Love The Playboy Mansion.

HATE Wild Honey. Hate hate hate.

-1. Wild Honey was one of my favorites. Not so high up there now but it's so sunny and happy. I just love it.
  12. The acoustic versions of it live on Elevation aren't TERRIBLE, but as far as studio cuts goes it just bothers the hell out of me for some reason.