1. They will probably start with Blackout, and like in 2015 maybe they have a few songs they haven't played a lot like Discotheque, Lady with the spinning head and Salome. Because i wanna get my feet moving !!
  2. So what AC/DC snippets?
    Thunderstruck/Vertigo?
  3. (Whole Lotta) Volcano?
    Bullet/Dirty Deeds?

Malcolm and Band, in Sydney.
  4. Is there a lot of hate for the piano version? They played it at Toronto 1 for I+E and I quite enjoyed it.
  5. Yes.

a) I think Stuck is maybe the weakest song in ATYCLB, I find it boring in the studio version.

b) Usually acoustic versions are not universally acclaimed around here, usually don't fare well against their full band counterparts unless is a one time thing...

c) ...and there's nothing particularly interesting about acoustic Stuck. Acoustic SBS, among others, is a different take on a song, so even if not everyone liked it, it can make an argument for itself, but Stuck just sound like a slower, more boring version of an already slow (and boring) song...

d) Obviously you enjoyed it: no matter what we believe sitting in our couches listening to the streams, people experiencing the show live, will usually love the songs the way they're played, because being there improves everything 100x, so nothing weird about it.
  6. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    Yes.

a) I think Stuck is maybe the weakest song in ATYCLB, I find it boring in the studio version.

b) Usually acoustic versions are not universally acclaimed around here, usually don't fare well against their full band counterparts unless is a one time thing...

c) ...and there's nothing particularly interesting about acoustic Stuck. Acoustic SBS, among others, is a different take on a song, so even if not everyone liked it, it can make an argument for itself, but Stuck just sound like a slower, more boring version of an already slow (and boring) song...

d) Obviously you enjoyed it: no matter what we believe sitting in our couches listening to the streams, people experiencing the show live, will usually love the songs the way they're played, because being there improves everything 100x, so nothing weird about it.
    Elevation
    Wild Honey
    When I Look At The World
    Grace

Are weaker or similar to Stuck for me. I wouldn't rate it as the weakest, no way!

(The rest of your points are super valid though, just discussing for the sake of it )
  7. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    Yes.

Not sure it's the weakest, but I would agree that it definitely is better live. I think it's the added guitar riff The Edge added in coming out of the chorus.

Then I guess I'm not universal. I often prefer acoustic. SATS I think was better as acoustic. Same for Stay (*gasp by many here I'm sure), and SBS acoustic by The Edge was my first experience of it (10/26/97). I guess I have a soft spot for the acoustic renditions.

I would argue that there is a difference between Piano versions of songs and Acoustic versions of songs (RTSS comes to mind) and it may not be fair to compare one version of a song to another. It's simply a fresh / new approach. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes there are different opinions on which it is (as is the case here!). But that's the great thing about a vast expanse of fans and opinions and why I love this site. Perhaps my love for Stuck is that frankly I love playing it on acoustic guitar.

I agree 100% with this. The armchair fan thing can get tiresome, and for the most part academic, and it can also, if you're not careful, ruin a lot of U2 for you.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Elevation
    Wild Honey
    When I Look At The World
    Grace

Are weaker or similar to Stuck for me. I wouldn't rate it as the weakest, no way!

(The rest of your points are super valid though, just discussing for the sake of it )
    I know the general dislike for Wild Honey or Grace, which I particularly like (Wild Honey in a "nice filler - b-side song promoted to album track" kind of way, but Grace I really like it as the closer and never really understood the dislike for it).

I know Elevation is rather silly and I find it boring in a set list (in the same category of MW and EBTTRT to me), and I don't think it really fits into the album, imho it fits worse in ATYCLB than Boots in NLOTH. So, yes, that one is also in the bottom half of the album to me... but it still beats Stuck.

But... When I Look At The World? that's new to me... that's on the top 3 of the album to me!
  9. Originally posted by mattfromcanada:Then I guess I'm not universal. I often prefer acoustic. SATS I think was better as acoustic. Same for Stay (*gasp by many here I'm sure), and SBS acoustic by The Edge was my first experience of it (10/26/97). I guess I have a soft spot for the acoustic renditions.

Originally posted by mattfromcanada:I would argue that there is a difference between Piano versions of songs and Acoustic versions of songs (RTSS comes to mind) and it may not be fair to compare one version of a song to another. It's simply a fresh / new approach. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes there are different opinions on which it is (as is the case here!). But that's the great thing about a vast expanse of fans and opinions and why I love this site. Perhaps my love for Stuck is that frankly I love playing it on acoustic guitar.
    I think acoustic versions have to be more carefully used for them to work. The context in which they're played have a lot to do with it.

I used to love the "MTV unplugged" shows, because it was interesting to hear a different take on a song or an album. The most contrast between styles the better (like, if U2 had done that, I'd go for instance with Bullet, something unexpected, not with First Time or something like that).

Alternatively, the context could be in a show: I loved the acoustic SBS in the i+e tour, it became a dirge instead of a protest/rebel song, it had a purpose to be presented in acoustic form, setting the stage for the bombings and then Wolves.

Even more, if I'm at a cafe or something like that, and in the ambient music they play U2 in jazz version, or U2 in samba version, or U2 in acoustic version, I take it, I actually enjoy it.

In a show, well, when someone goes up to the stage to play Wild Horses or something like that ( ) , that's fine, but replacing the "U2 version" for the "Acoustic version" as the default version of a song, just for no apparent reason, that's when I have a problem with it.

---

Originally posted by mattfromcanada:I agree 100% with this. The armchair fan thing can get tiresome, and for the most part academic, and it can also, if you're not careful, ruin a lot of U2 for you.
    I just think that if you know that you won't enjoy listening to every show of the tour (because same setlist, because old war horses, because that boring song, etc), then instead of listen to it and complain about it, just don't listen to them (unless you have to, sorry Cesar), everyone will be happier.
  10. Not sure if anyone else has said this (haven't scanned through the thread), but I think something really cool would be if the intro music stopped, Bono sang "When the lights go out..." real soft, lights go out for reals, and then Blackout picked up from there as the opener.
  11. Here is a set 1 (Experience) set.

The Blackout
    Mofo
    You're The Best Thing About Me
    Babyface
    Exit
    Little Things
    Gone
    The Fly
    The Wanderer
    Get Out of Your Own Way