1. Originally posted by Sev00:Video is from last year. Who knows if it isn't just a clip of One Republic having received a U2 jam/demo from Ryan Tedder just to jam over it themselves ? Maybe U2 originally decided to throw the song away. Maybe U2 bought it. We know nothing here.
    or maybe not
  2. Still no idea where the song originated. Maybe Ryan came up with the entire song himself and tried with both band (most probably), maybe One Republic came up with the song, maybe U2 did... Still a bit sad, I'd prefer U2 to make up stuff in jam sessions with themselves rather than get so much input from a producer...

3. Song is produced by Ryan and One Republic's bassist.
    It still writes Music by U2 and if that was mostly false, they wouldn't have written that there, not with One Republic being totally ok with it, that would be quite weird..
  4. I don't think that it's a problem in any way that the song probably wasn't written by U2. I even think that it originates from further back (Prayer in C). I just don't get why they don't credit Tedder for song writing... Anyway, the funny thing is that now all the elitism expressed by quite a bunch of U2 fans falls back.
    First Tedder as producer, then Andy Barlow, now even chainsmokers on the album and One republic songs. Must be a nightmare for some.
  5. Could it be the case that Bono&Edge/U2 passed the demo on to OneRepublic like they did with for example Sweetest Thing and in the end decided to use it themselves after all?
  6. Some of the lyrics may have originated back with OneRepublic? West Coast after all.

Anyways it's a great song. Doesn't make me think less of them.
    They didn't write Dancing Barefoot or Everlastibg Love and I still love those songs
  7. I sometimes wonder if some people realize how reliant the 4 members of U2 have been on their producers to develop songs since their inception. There is nothing new or shocking or anything close to plagiarism here. This is how U2 has always been - we just have more real-time information and videos about how these songs are developed than we did back in the 1980s and 90s.
  8. I guess you’re all making fair points, maybe I overreacted.

At the end of the day, I’d still prefer U2 release only stuff they themselves have written, but yeah. It was a shock to me to find out Daniel Lanois wrote the main “Riff” for One as well.
  9. Who knows how much Howie D. collaborated in Pop (or what other things they stole in that album too) or they borrowed from D. Lanois and Brian Eno these years, doesn't going to change my opinion on those songs.
  10. The other way is also true, U2 has given songs to many different artists too.