1. Originally posted by EDDMB:[..]

Its brutal.
    It's amazing how Bono is still somehow pushing this refugee thing....I mean , not to get political (the song is) but I mean , to say the least, it hasent really worked out for Europe.. now has it.
    The song is embarrassing on every level, but the lyrics are the worst. I generally try to keep my appreciation of the band's music separate from whatever agenda Bono is pushing, because as someone else says, it's hard to take someone who has had such a privileged life seriously with anything to do with poverty, disease or struggles. But hearing this song on the radio a few days ago, I finally really understood why so many people can't stand Bono and therefore U2.

The lyrics stink of a sense of self righteousness that Bono hasn't reached before, and it's pretty embarrassing for me as a fan of the band
  2. Originally posted by dylbagz:[..]
    The song is embarrassing on every level, but the lyrics are the worst. I generally try to keep my appreciation of the band's music separate from whatever agenda Bono is pushing, because as someone else says, it's hard to take someone who has had such a privileged life seriously with anything to do with poverty, disease or struggles. But hearing this song on the radio a few days ago, I finally really understood why so many people can't stand Bono and therefore U2.

The lyrics stink of a sense of self righteousness that Bono hasn't reached before, and it's pretty embarrassing for me as a fan of the band
    i actually agree with bits of that.
  3. Originally posted by MoFoNYR15:[..]
    Sorry whether I believe in it what bono is saying or not, I will never take a celebrities opinion on this seriously. It’s easy to say this from their mansions with A WALL built around it and a security team.

Without getting to political here and getting off topic, i see nothing wrong with celebrities using their voice and influence for causes they believe in as long as its not a 'flavour of the month" kind of thing, or done for self promotion. And what i admire most about Bono is that he educated himself thoroughly so that he has a credible voice and he that continues to promote his causes even though he knows it has lost him many, many fans and has exposed him to so much criticism. But despite that he continues to speak for what he believes in and champions for change. Just because he is wealthy and has security doesn't mean he has not right to speak out - you don't have to live the experience to fight against injustice.
  4. Originally posted by dylbagz:[..]

Just because someone is wealthy and privileged doesn’t mean they can’t be informed. Bono certainly didn’t start out that way (which I think makes a difference). I’m sure you know of the things Bono has done and the places he has been. I think this makes him highly educated on the topic and therefore more than qualified. The stance you took there would make sense for a non to general level fan if they aren’t aware of the things Bono has done.

With regards to the song, he wrote about what he knows and what he feels. The band loves America. I certainly don’t (there are reasons for that, some of which are a little silly). The song rocks.
  5. Originally posted by jennagirl:[..]

Without getting to political here and getting off topic, i see nothing wrong with celebrities using their voice and influence for causes they believe in as long as its not a 'flavour of the month" kind of thing, or done for self promotion. And what i admire most about Bono is that he educated himself thoroughly so that he has a credible voice and he that continues to promote his causes even though he knows it has lost him many, many fans and has exposed him to so much criticism. But despite that he continues to speak for what he believes in and champions for change. Just because he is wealthy and has security doesn't mean he has not right to speak out - you don't have to live the experience to fight against injustice.
    I have no problem with them voicing their opinion. I just can’t take them seriously. The realty is they don’t live in the same world as we do. So their perspectives are tainted by no fault of their own.
  6. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]
    Just because someone is wealthy and privileged doesn’t mean they can’t be informed. Bono certainly didn’t start out that way (which I think makes a difference). I’m sure you know of the things Bono has done and the places he has been. I think this makes him highly educated on the topic and therefore more than qualified. The stance you took there would make sense for a non to general level fan if they aren’t aware of the things Bono has done.

With regards to the song, he wrote about what he knows and what he feels. The band loves America. I certainly don’t (there are reasons for that, some of which are a little silly). The song rocks.
    Nice to admit that you don’t like an entire country. Imagine that same sentence out of a celebrity or worse, the presidents mouth?
  7. Originally posted by MoFoNYR15:[..]
    Nice to admit that you don’t like an entire country. Imagine that same sentence out of a celebrity or worse, the presidents mouth?
    well I don't think Trump loves America as he obviously is on his way to make a complete mess of it...

But anyway, I love the US, and that is why I actually like most of this song and like most of its lyrics...

There's a moment in life where the soul can die
    In a person, in a country, when you believe the lie
    The lie the lie the lie
  8. Yeah I’ve come full circle on this song, and while I’ve only seen 30 seconds of the apparently abysmal performance, I can tell it’s going to rock seriously hard in an arena.
  9. Originally posted by MoFoNYR15:[..]
    When you grew up North of it you can understand why. Also, the silly reason is because of a wrestling storyline when I was a kid. Haha

I guess the other ring too is that living so close to there, I have tried really hard not to be confused with Americans *cough cough need gun control and health care cough*

It was only recently in an interview from Bono that I developed this whole appreciation for the “idea” of America and how they decided they didn’t want to be ruled by a King. That is bad ass.
  10. Originally posted by MoFoNYR15:[..]
    Remember when the man who would be President admitted to sexual assault? He also may not have admitted to not liking a country but his comments about people from countries have made it fairly clear how he feels.
  11. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]
    Remember when the man who would be President admitted to sexual assault? He also may not have admitted to not liking a country but his comments about people from countries have made it fairly clear how he feels.
    Fair enough. I’m not defending him in any way. Just talking in general. Sorry for being a little edgy