1. Thankfully. Everything that's near AS is in danger of being contaminated
  2. I agree.

The tweet and the Mojo review, even the IrishExaminer review all show that there is not universal dislike of AS out there despite what many forum posters would have us believe.
  3. (not fan of MOS and CB, but generally agree with you)
  4. Originally posted by TheRefugee:[..]
    I agree.

The tweet and the Mojo review, even the IrishExaminer review all show that there is not universal dislike of AS out there despite what many forum posters would have us believe.
    I'm a fan. I know all of their songs. I can not put myself into any other perspective than that. That's exactly what I meant when I said in the general SOE thread:
    Originally posted by LikeASong:I guess it all depends on how impartial reviewers are, and their taste in music and in u2 in particular. E.g. I doubt (m)any of these reviewers appreciate Fez/Being Born, The Crystal Ballroom, No Line or The Troubles as highlights in the band's recent career - while there is a certain consensus among fans.

I'd love to see a review from a hard die fan with the ability to be critical.

I mean, if you haven't heard other than the main singles it's easy to think that a straight rocker, fun song like American Soul is their best song in 10 years.
  5. I cannot speak to the U2 song knowledge of reviewers. They may be fans, they not be. Though they likely are music fans.

My point is that there is not a consensus of opinion with regard to AS. If anything, this thread would suggest it is divisive. Despite our opposing views on AS, my perspective is also that of a fan who knows all U2 songs. No more or less valid a position than any other fan.
  6. Originally posted by TheRefugee:I cannot speak to the U2 song knowledge of reviewers. They may be fans, they not be. Though they likely are music fans.

My point is that there is not a consensus of opinion with regard to AS. If anything, this thread would suggest it is divisive. Despite our opposing views on AS, my perspective is also that of a fan who knows all U2 songs. No more or less valid a position than any other fan.
    Yeah, sorry as my point was confusing.

I'm implying that for some of these reviewers, who probably are what we call "casual fans" (aka they might know and love many U2 songs but surely they don't know b-sides, or obscure songs from less known albums, and of course don't listen to bootlegs, etc), American Soul might come across as a breakthrough song, a true U2 rocker full of interesting nuances. I'm even sure that many of those reviewers don't even know Volcano!! (let alone Glastonbury !) ... But for fans who know their entire catalogue? I honestly don't believe any of us hardcore fans can say American Soul is their best song since 2006, as Andy Hermann was saying.
  7. Fair enough.
  8. Is there a link to the MoJo review. I go to there site but can t find it. Help? Lol....
  9. Is it permissible to share?