Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Legs (3): Leg 1 - North America, Leg 2 - Europe, Leg 3 - The Americas
Shows: 54
  1. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    That would put them in the States for summer. so... do they kick off in the US in the summer, or do they kickoff elsewhere in spring with US summer being 2nd leg?
    They could really play it either way. Some bands do a bit of a "festival tour" as a performance warm-up leading into their proper tour and other bands intermingle festival dates with tour dates. If they decide to do festivals and tour shows simultaneously, it does pose a logistical problem as many festivals will actually prevent participants from having other performances within a certain geographic and time window to the festival itself. I think Coachella performers can't perform anywhere within a 100 mile radius/2 week period of the festival or something ridiculous like that.
  2. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]
    They could really play it either way. Some bands do a bit of a "festival tour" as a performance warm-up leading into their proper tour and other bands intermingle festival dates with tour dates. If they decide to do festivals and tour shows simultaneously, it does pose a logistical problem as many festivals will actually prevent participants from having other performances within a certain geographic and time window to the festival itself. I think Coachella performers can't perform anywhere within a 100 mile radius/2 week period of the festival or something ridiculous like that.
    Unless it's U2.

You are right about festivals and ridiculous stipulations, but Bonnaroo is coming off its worst year ever and needs a big draw, so they might make exceptions... and if not,
    my thoughts were Atlanta is about 300 miles from Manchester, so it would be a nice logistical (and wishful, of course) fit. Either way, it would put them in the States next summer so it gives us something to aim for. (More wishful thinking)

We can all dream, right? Cause I definitely wont be laying out that $300+ for Bonnaroo as it would drain the SOE savings account...

3. Pretty much why you can't expect them to hold to any sort of itinerary. Still, it does make things interesting heading into the next album cycle and a potential nightmare for those who wish to remain spoiler-free.
  4. There are a couple of things that make me think this has more than average rumor cred - as someone else noted, the festival tanked last year vis a vis ticket sales and have 'partnered' now w/Live Nation as a result. If they want to save the festival they need an artist with a 70-80k draw, hypothetically. Last year was under 40k.

This has popped up on a couple of other channels -- semi credible. I think there's a decent chance given Live Nation's relationship, and it probably aligns with other tour dates in the SE -- landing U2 for Coachella would be a HUGE win for Bonnaroo and would put it on the map again. Of interest: I believe Kygo is confirmed FWIW. If they play its a 2 hour+ spot closing night.
  5. I'm not at all familiar with the big festivals in the US, but I really can't see U2 showing up at Coachella. I'm not sure if that audience demographic would buy into U2 as a headliner.
  6. Desert Trip?

I know they don't want to be seen as a historic act which is what the Desert Trip is all about.
  7. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]

Pretty much why you can't expect them to hold to any sort of itinerary. Still, it does make things interesting heading into the next album cycle and a potential nightmare for those who wish to remain spoiler-free.
    Yup. All it does for me is gives me a rough timeline of when they'll be here. Since I cant see them bouncing around the globe to squeeze in a few festival dates I'm gonna pencil in summer for US leg and see where it goes!

And if they decide to do stadiums, squeezing in festivals makes sense as it usually takes days to set up their stafium show!
  8. Anyway, it's bubbling .......... love this time..............

9. Let's hope it's true. It would be really cool to see them at a festival again after the below average performance at Glastonbury.
  10. I'd definitely like to see U2 revamp their festival performance strategy. You can't treat festivals like a standard gig, which is what I think U2 did during Glastonbury.
  11. Originally posted by ahn1991:I'd definitely like to see U2 revamp their festival performance strategy. You can't treat festivals like a standard gig, which is what I think U2 did during Glastonbury.
    Did they? I don't think we would have seen that particular set list during the tour were it not for the Glastonbury booking.
  12. I actually really enjoyed Glastonbury, I think festivals will always have a worse atmosphere than normal gigs for u2 as there more die hard fan base is lost in all the casual fans as well as the stage designs being missing from the festival too. Performance wise though I couldn't complain much and thought the setlist was good, except I heard the band were thinking of doing New Year's Day instead of boots which would have made sense.