1. one of the most underrated mainstream bands of the last few decades, I reckon they're easy good enough to deserve their own thread.

Morten Harket's voice is untouchable in my opinion, and I'm gutted they're planning to split.

so yeah, discuss?
  2. I didn't know they're active yet

I like some 80's stuff. Take On Me is a special song for me, strong personal meaning... And we have 2 or 3 albums of them 'round here, they're worth a listen
  3. Rather quite love them.

Personal favourites include: Lifelines, Crying In The Rain, Move To Memphis, Dark Is The Night, Stay On These Roads, Take On Me, Sun Always Shines on TV and many more
  4. One of those underated bands that perhaps should have been bigger internationally that what they are/were, alot of people would have thought they fell off the planet after the 80's, but still continued to produced quality music.

Analog is one of my favourite modern a-ha songs, should have been massive and craps all over those sugar pop acts,

5. been listening to them since their beginning -- why yes, I'm that old
    grew up with them, still love them, one of my favorite bands ever. too sad they're on their farewell tour now. but all good things might come to an end at some point.... wished they'd be around forever. love each and every song of them.
  6. Originally posted by Stu: alot of people would have thought they fell off the planet after the 80's, but still continued to produced quality music.
    My thoughts.

I checked it out: the albums we've got are Hunting High and Low (in vynil and CD) and Stay on These Roads (CD). I'll give the first a listen while I rip it into my hard disk!

EDIT. Wow, I just checked their wikipedia page and it seems that they're in their Farewell tour, and they played in Madrid last week
  7. ^ Stay On These Roads is one of my favourite albums ever, i prefer it to Hunting High & Low.

I'd recommend people listen to Angel In The Snow, it gets compared to One by U2 a lot. it has the same vibe and a similar chord structure.
  8. I still watch their Live at Vallhall "Homecoming" DVD from time to time, a great concert.

One of my favourite albums is Minor Earth Major Sky from 2000, my missus is a much bigger fan, possibly because she has always had the hots for Morton...
  9. Originally posted by MacStripey:been listening to them since their beginning -- why yes, I'm that old
    grew up with them, still love them, one of my favorite bands ever. too sad they're on their farewell tour now. but all good things might come to an end at some point.... wished they'd be around forever. love each and every song of them.

Don't worry, you're not the only old bastard on this forum...

10. Anyone remembering the quarrrel about U2s Beautiful Day and a-has The Sun Always Shine on TV. A lot of people thougt it was plagiarism. U2 kind of joked about it in the concert in Oslo in 2005 , when they put The Sun Always Shine on TV as a snippet to Beautiful Day. You can check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUG8BYooyz4[url]
  11. Sun Always Shines On TV is my favourite of theirs, and I also agree with comments on Analogue - cracking little song. I've not got as much as I'd like, but I intend to get hold of more. But agreed, it's shit that they're splitting, but as the saying goes, all good things come to an end. One day our boys will finish too.
  12. Underrated?? I have always thought that they are way overrated. I like a lot of their stuff, especially the Memorial Beach album. The thing is that they lack is a good show. In the videos I have seen, they were laking some energy, and the singer is terrible, really terrible live. He can get away with it in the studio, but the live stuff is what makes the men apart from the boys. He is obviously the latter.