1. i love the U2 dvd's and get really excited when i find out they're going to release one... but does anyone else believe that from the last 2 tours they have released their MAJOR DVD's too early in the tour????

for example compare the Boston DVD and the Slane Castle DVD... Slane blows the boston DVD right out of the water....

and from the vertigo tour... the quality of the milan show over the chicago show is astonishing... again the milan DVD was from later in the tour and i think that the tours are just going to get better as they progress... so why film them so early???

i believe that they should film a heap of shows through the tour and then decide on one DVD for that tour.... or just make a compilation from the tour....

but back to my question... do you believe that they film the MAJOR DVDs too early on the tour???
  2. Yes they certainly do, but I think the Vertigo DVD was supposed to be shot in the 3rd leg but because of the circumstances (Sian troubles etc.) they filmed it earlier.
  3. Originally posted by colbourne25 ...the quality of the milan show over the chicago show is astonishing...

Really? I don't think so... the Chicago DVD in my opinion is beautiful, thare are some great performances:
    Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Elevation, Beautiful Day, Electric Co, Into the Heart, Running to Standstill, Pride.
    Also the Italian gig is good... for example the performance of All I want is you is the best ever for me.
    and I will follow, Miss Sarajevo, I still haven't found, Original of the Species... all very good.

I think these 2 concerts are both magnificent, but we can't compare them, because they are so DIFFERENT...
  4. Originally posted by RemyYes they certainly do, but I think the Vertigo DVD was supposed to be shot in the 3rd leg but because of the circumstances (Sian troubles etc.) they filmed it earlier.

what do you think of the compilation idea???
  5. A compilation DVD from a tour would be great.

I guess that would give everyone a chance to hear some of the songs that were not played so much (Kite from Oz, One Tree Hill from NZ etc). And then you could have some songs from the big gigs like Croke Park.

I really liked the stage building clip on the boston DVD with walk on playing. They could do this with some of the lighter tour moments in too like when people get up on stage and play guitar.

I'm actually hanging to see the best of 1980 - 1990 on DVD with all the other clips from that era like Homecoming, Gloria and Two Hearts on it.

One day....
  6. Well troubled though it may have been. Chicago DVD was as close to crap as ii've ever seen a U2 concert, it was at times over directed, and the performaces up until Streets (the lifesaver) //with the exception for rtss// were really rather terrible. At least by U2 standards.
  7. The Chicago DVD had only one really weak song, and that was Sunday Bloody Sunday. The rest of the tracks before Bullet the Blue Sky either sounded too much like the studio versions such that they weren't necessarily stand-out live tracks, or they had problems (i.e. Bono's throat troubles in Elevation).

But on the whole, it's one of the best DVD's they've produced. There's a great selection of songs that span their whole career, and it's a good demonstration of where U2 has gone as a band. And the mini-ZooTV set can't be left out of the equation, either, with the best versions of The Fly and Mysterious Ways since the Egg Dome in 1993.

Slane and Sydney have it beat, but this blows Popmart from Mexico City out of the water, and the sheer number of great tunes played makes it better than the ten-track sampler they gave us with U218 Singles.
  8. The problem is not that Chicago and Boston were filmed to early.

Sorry, but the real problem is that both were filmed in America. The audiences seen in both films are terrible! These shows have nothing in common with the intensity of the concerts i attendet in Europe or those I can see on South-America-DVDs.
    The other problem is the low production standard (bad sound, badly filmed by Hamilton).

Milan and Slane are much better in these categories!

The only advantage of Chicago are some rare songs they played.
  9. Originally posted by JanRodiThe problem is not that Chicago and Boston were filmed to early.

Sorry, but the real problem is that both were filmed in America. The audiences seen in both films are terrible! These shows have nothing in common with the intensity of the concerts i attendet in Europe or those I can see on South-America-DVDs.
    The other problem is the low production standard (bad sound, badly filmed by Hamilton).

Milan and Slane are much better in these categories!

The only advantage of Chicago are some rare songs they played.

American audience is always colder than European and SouthAmerican, we can't compare them. But usually the concerts in Europe are in the middle of the tour, when Bono has worst voice quality, so they use to film at the beggining of the tours. Anyway, I think Boston has a 6,5/10, while Slane has a clear 10/10. The Boston DVD is just crap! But I don't think that of the Chicago film, I like it very much, with the awesome begining of COBL instead Vertigo, and Stories For Boys...
    SLANE 4ever. No discussion.
  10. Well, like (I thought it was) Willie Williams said on the Elevation tour Boston DVD: The camera's are always at the wrong show.

And he's refering there to the fabulous Madison Square Garden shows after 9/11, and he's right, all the legendary shows aren't filmed, and maybe they aren't that legendary anymore with camera's on stage, the band responds to that, always.
  11. Yes, they release the official DVD early because they expect it to promote the tour. In previous years the release came when the gig was over (Zoo tv, Lovetown documentary, Rattle and Hum itself, Popmart) and therefore the band just couldn't make that interest pay. So they decided release early in order for the people gets willing to see how the tour improves. Slane Castle was a special situation, because they hadn't played there for 20 years.They didn't know they would at the beginning of the tour.
  12. The Chicago DVD was not great overall but the performances of Electric Co, Zoo Station, The Fly were all very good. Boston was a terrific show, their best arena DVD.

Slane is their best DVD, hands down. The camera angles, setlist, sound quality, audience, band attitude are all stellar. Simply the best live recording in the history of pop music.

The Milan DVD was certainly better than Chicago, considering it was only 10 songs. The stadium show was much different from the arena show. They should have filmed some of the 3rd leg shows, by then the setlists started to get really interesting.

Every single show on the 4th leg was filmed for the upcoming IMAX film, so I cannot wait to see how U2 looks on a 9 story screen. Additionally, they filmed the Melbourne show, and I am eager to see what that will be like if they put out on DVD.

U2 films from 1st leg shows are not as good as those from later legs, in most cases. Chicago is perfect proof of it (although Bono mentioned that the band vibe wasnt too hot back then, due to Sian, and the show really took off in the stadiums). I am surprised that Boston was as good as it is. I think they should have taped a show on the Outside Broadcast leg of ZOO TV-- Mirrorball Man>MacPhisto, and I dont understand eschewing tracks like Ultra Violet for Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car (also, is it just me, or is the sound quality of the Sydney DVD not amazing? Does it sound only OK on 5 ch?).

I would rate the POPMART DVD U2's 2nd best (after Slane). And I dont mean that just because the lemon worked that night- the audience passion and band's intensity behind New Year's Day, Bullet, WOWY, One is quite palpable. And I thought the drums had this really cool echo on them.

Despite what some might say about Rattle and Hum, the performances (all 3rd leg Joshua Tree) are flawless.

So yes, as illustrated by Chicago, DVDs are filmed to early. Boston was an exception (although it is indeed blown away by Slane), and all the other shows which were filmed during later legs of their respective tour are very good.

A compilation DVD would be worthwhile on an American tour, since all arenas look the same, and American audiences are flat in general.