1. More Unknown Caller type stuff! More synth, less of Edge's signature chiming guitar tone

Some proper dance tunes (read not GOYB) wouldn't be bad either, something like Discotheque/
    And for the love of God please give us another hit single like Vertigo or BD, Just one to stop their slide into irrelevance
  2. I quite like Casper's idea of Slug...really one of the most precious little tender songs they've ever made. Love it
  3. Originally posted by vanquish:More Unknown Caller type stuff! More synth, less of Edge's signature chiming guitar tone

Some proper dance tunes (read not GOYB) wouldn't be bad either, something like Discotheque/
    And for the love of God please give us another hit single like Vertigo or BD, Just one to stop their slide into irrelevance

Yeah i'd like to hear less of Edge's guitar sound as well. Not because i don't like it, it's what got me to become a musician. However, I value him as a changing musician, and he hasn't changed much in the past decade.
  4. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]

Yeah i'd like to hear less of Edge's guitar sound as well. Not because i don't like it, it's what got me to become a musician. However, I value him as a changing musician, and he hasn't changed much in the past decade.

Exactly, that's what made his work on Pop so great, there was very little of his signature ringing guitar lines. Wheras on NLOTH Magnificent, Unknown Caller, Crazy Tonight, Breathe and Winter all feature it.
  5. I was thinking something along the lines of hard rock. They've never quite 'gotten it', although Is That All and Electric Co. are about as close as they've been. Get out of the pop-rock (because U2 don't do pop-rock all that well) and start looking at what made music so very cool in the 60s and 70s and late 80s - and what made U2 cool in the 90s.

I think even a prog-rock album would be something to behold. Come up with a concept like Tommy or Dark Side Of The Moon or Killer and work with that - Bono is a good enough writer to make something like it happen. It doesn't have to be hard rock or rock and roll, it could be half and half of whatever, but actually making something better and more original than they have ever done before.

And by god I hope he doesn't tell us it's punk rock from some undiscovered planet. Remember the result of U2's Vision of Punk Circa 2004? Vertigo.

Bono said he only want to release a new album if its better than NLOTH

Does he mean the songs that were their best in 12 years or the worst in 30 years?
  6. Originally posted by drewhiggins:I was thinking something along the lines of hard rock. They've never quite 'gotten it', although Is That All and Electric Co. are about as close as they've been. Get out of the pop-rock (because U2 don't do pop-rock all that well) and start looking at what made music so very cool in the 60s and 70s and late 80s - and what made U2 cool in the 90s.

I think even a prog-rock album would be something to behold. Come up with a concept like Tommy or Dark Side Of The Moon or Killer and work with that - Bono is a good enough writer to make something like it happen. It doesn't have to be hard rock or rock and roll, it could be half and half of whatever, but actually making something better and more original than they have ever done before.

And by god I hope he doesn't tell us it's punk rock from some undiscovered planet. Remember the result of U2's Vision of Punk Circa 2004? Vertigo.

[..]

Does he mean the songs that were their best in 12 years or the worst in 30 years?

I wouldn't say Dark Side of the Moon is a prog rock, nor is Pink Floyd. It's almost too hard to put PF in a genre, i geuss Psychadelic Rock is what they are. And I don't think u2 would ever do a prog rock album, simply because they're too used to the basic music structure. Prog rock is totally different than U2's usual stuff. Even though U2 has changed over the years, they've never changed their actual structure (perhaps Passengers and a bit of Zooropa did, and some other songs off of the albums that aren't famous). But yeah. It would be really sick I agree with you, but i don't see that happening at all.
  7. Originally posted by drewhiggins:I was thinking something along the lines of hard rock. They've never quite 'gotten it', although Is That All and Electric Co. are about as close as they've been. Get out of the pop-rock (because U2 don't do pop-rock all that well) and start looking at what made music so very cool in the 60s and 70s and late 80s - and what made U2 cool in the 90s.

[..]

I thought their Rattle and Hum/ JT stuff would be closer to hard rock than Electric Co.!
    All Along the Watchtower, God Pt 2, Hawkmoon etc?

I don't want them to do a hard rock album, hard rock is dead it's all been done before they should be looking forwards rather than backwards musically
  8. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]

I wouldn't say Dark Side of the Moon is a prog rock, nor is Pink Floyd. It's almost too hard to put PF in a genre, i geuss Psychadelic Rock is what they are. And I don't think u2 would ever do a prog rock album, simply because they're too used to the basic music structure. Prog rock is totally different than U2's usual stuff. Even though U2 has changed over the years, they've never changed their actual structure (perhaps Passengers and a bit of Zooropa did, and some other songs off of the albums that aren't famous). But yeah. It would be really sick I agree with you, but i don't see that happening at all.

Acid Rock for early Pink Floyd. Not so sure about everything that came after - in particular The Division Bell which shows signs of the foundations cracking.

The interviews say we're changing our sound, we're making stuff like never before. Moment Of Surrender and Unknown Caller and Fez - Being Born are surely different to most people, but they use the exact same structure as a traditional U2 rock song, but they've stepped into those territories before and with varying degrees of success.

Passengers is closer to concept - they're all for movies and so follow a structure and have a story. You can imagine the bullet train and the fee-evading family ghosts in United Colours. They need to remember what made the music great in 1993 - 1997 and forget whatever has come from 1998 - 2009 onwards. Maybe even go back to the demos of those albums and re-record them, not breaking away too much, but at least remembering what they did with them and making them updated for 2000-and-whatever-year.

Sure, it wouldn't get them radio hits - which is what they seem to be chasing - but it would appeal to a wider, experimental audience. Maybe work with Underworld for a few tracks. Ah well - we'll see what they come out with. Maybe they'll give away the album at the 2010 shows with VIP passes or something. Who knows.
  9. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]

Acid Rock for early Pink Floyd. Not so sure about everything that came after - in particular The Division Bell which shows signs of the foundations cracking.

The interviews say we're changing our sound, we're making stuff like never before. Moment Of Surrender and Unknown Caller and Fez - Being Born are surely different to most people, but they use the exact same structure as a traditional U2 rock song, but they've stepped into those territories before and with varying degrees of success.

Passengers is closer to concept - they're all for movies and so follow a structure and have a story. You can imagine the bullet train and the fee-evading family ghosts in United Colours. They need to remember what made the music great in 1993 - 1997 and forget whatever has come from 1998 - 2009 onwards. Maybe even go back to the demos of those albums and re-record them, not breaking away too much, but at least remembering what they did with them and making them updated for 2000-and-whatever-year.

Sure, it wouldn't get them radio hits - which is what they seem to be chasing - but it would appeal to a wider, experimental audience. Maybe work with Underworld for a few tracks. Ah well - we'll see what they come out with. Maybe they'll give away the album at the 2010 shows with VIP passes or something. Who knows.

Ah, very true about PF. And yeah I agree with you. I think it'd be nice to see them get very experimental. I think they tried a bit of the "Story" concept with NLOTH (vividly remember Bono mentioning this) but to me it didn't pan out as well as they wanted it to. If you want a story, listen to the Wall . I think they need a commercially successful hit, or else they will fail. I'd like to see an experimental album as well, but at hte same time i know they need something that will reel in new fans and reel in more cash and publicity and popularity. They need a new BD or Vertigo.
  10. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]

Ah, very true about PF. And yeah I agree with you. I think it'd be nice to see them get very experimental. I think they tried a bit of the "Story" concept with NLOTH (vividly remember Bono mentioning this) but to me it didn't pan out as well as they wanted it to. If you want a story, listen to the Wall . I think they need a commercially successful hit, or else they will fail. I'd like to see an experimental album as well, but at hte same time i know they need something that will reel in new fans and reel in more cash and publicity and popularity. They need a new BD or Vertigo.

The Wall is one of my favorite PF albums next to Meddle. But everyone only knows Another Brick In The Wall 2 - which is a pity, there's better songs on the album than that one. Same as U2...if you ask them what their favorite song is from them, they'll say Vertigo, Streets, Pride, With Or Without You, Still Haven't Found, Elevation, One or Beautiful Day. They need a new hit, absolutely. Something which appeals to people but doesn't get overplayed.

So why don't they put out two albums at the same time; experimental and rock. Chances are the rock one would do very well with no experimental tracks, and the experimental one without any rock would sell to the real fans and those who enjoy something different from the norm. Do one with Eno for experimental and the other with Rubin again. But nothing like The Saints Are Coming or Window In The Skies...

Remember ''Fuck the mainstream''? Yeah, well it ain't been happening for 12 years. Make it happen.
  11. I voted for more meditative music, but my heart says a good mixture of both.

I would LOVE to hears songs sounding like TUF mixed with Pop. A dancy rocker like Discotheque fused with experimental stuff like Elvis Presley and America. That would be awesome.
  12. well, i think u2 can´t be classified in a genre either...

here´s what i think:

first three albms were post punk albums with few pop rock songs in there
    TUF is alternative
    JT is rock
    AB is half rock half alternative
    Zooropa is alternative
    POP has some real rock and roll tunes like LNOE and some experimetal/ disco a la discotheque
    ATYCLB is the classical pop rock album
    HTDAAB is a straight forward rock album, but not punk and it has a couple of poppish rock songs
    NLOTH has 3-4 experimental songs, some real U2 with element form eno and lanois and one pop rock song