1. At least it’s going for something different. Even if it doesn’t work it gets points for novelty, unlike Boots which is such a blatant attempt to remake Vertigo.
  2. Originally posted by popmarter:It derailed the whole album it threw people off buying the album ,they pushed it as much as possible playing it at all the awards ceremonies and TV chat shows but the general consensus was it wasn't very good .Magnificent should have been the first single it would have given the album a wider appeal and even though they did release it Boots left a sour taste, I know you'll have people round here defending Boots but these are the same type of people who defend "Freedom"by Paul McCartney just because of who he is not because of the quality of the song.

I love Boots but I agree that it wasn't a good single choice and I agree it likely detailed the entire momentum of the album. I don't give a shit about Paul McCartney though and don't even think I know what song "Freedom" is haha
  3. Cracking tune, maybe a bit niche but the FoW mix is an underappreciated gem and was a fun song live

All that needs to be said
  4. It could have been a stand-alone single later on after the album maybe. Doesn't fit NLOTH.
  5. What’s the biggest disappointment with Boots? The actual music, the lyrics, the fact it doesn’t fit the theme of the album sonically?

I always thought it was a pretty “meh” song. I was 16 when it came out and I was just so excited for a new U2 album so I like it as much as I like any other “bad” U2 song.

But do you guys think it’d be better with different lyrics? Different musical arrangement with the same lyrics? Maybe if it was released and played live, but left off the album a la Invisible like Welsh_Edge was talking about?
  6. I also wonder would the video get more attention now with feminism and women getting more politicized?
  7. This is U2. No one outside of the fanbase will care now. Lol.
  8. Originally posted by Release3:What’s the biggest disappointment with Boots? The actual music, the lyrics, the fact it doesn’t fit the theme of the album sonically?

I always thought it was a pretty “meh” song. I was 16 when it came out and I was just so excited for a new U2 album so I like it as much as I like any other “bad” U2 song.

But do you guys think it’d be better with different lyrics? Different musical arrangement with the same lyrics? Maybe if it was released and played live, but left off the album a la Invisible like Welsh_Edge was talking about?
    For me it was old men trying to be like kids. They aren’t kids anymore and I am sure I will be the 1001st person to say they shouldn’t try so hard to be relevant. Should have led with Moment of surrender or Magnificent.
  9. I meant if it had been released now. Though you’re right. Probably not!
  10. Just watched the Lauren Laverne interview made just prior to release of NLOTH and Adam genuinely seems to think that it is the best album they have ever made even to the extent of joking that of course that’s expected of bands to say that. He really did think it was that good.
  11. Originally posted by Vista:Just watched the Lauren Laverne interview made just prior to release of NLOTH and Adam genuinely seems to think that it is the best album they have ever made even to the extent of joking that of course that’s expected of bands to say that. He really did think it was that good.
    Steve Lillywhite mentioned that towards the end of the recording sessions and the album release, the band hardly listened back to the tracks which he said was unusual and worrying. So maybe they 'thought' it was their best without actually checking first!
  12. It’s odd as he clearly is being genuine but to put it ahead of TJT & AB is madness