1. I mean, it's right there, the first result on Google.

"First listen and reaction" my ass

2. Originally posted by yoshino_blossom:[..]
    Exactly but that's actually a great idea. Imagine if someone goes out to a remote island in the Pacific and plays them a load of songs and records their reaction.
    There's a lot to be discussed about this I've always wondered how a person that has stayed away from everything would appreciate the things we appreciate dearly. If someone grows up in an island with no exposure to art, would they appreciate the Mona Lisa upon first seeing it? Would they enjoy Nessun Dorma or Let It Be upon first listen?

Staying on topic, we appreciate Achtung Baby because it's a great album to our standards and compared to the rest of contemporary Western music. But... would it be appealing to a person for whom Achtung Baby is literally the first music they listen to in their lives?

A sociologist and a anthropologist would come in handy here
  3. Originally posted by SJKamal:[..]
    I dunno. I do think that if you play the song to my generation and younger, it could genuinely be the first time they hear it. Even if they are involved in music they could be in different genres.

There's no guarantee that someone my age who's involved in Hip Hop would have listened to it before. Although I do agree the majority of the videos are fake and are for views.

True it's definitely a possibility especially if you are engrossed in the newer generation of musicians but I think with Streaming and YouTube etc most people would know the song I've no doubt she has heard it before it might even be a marketing ploy by the record company as it will get more people to listen to it .
    The whole ITunes fiasco was aimed at the younger generation the band knew it would annoy some but everyone now knew their music and who they were.A lot of other big bands like The Beatles, Stones ,Pink floyd ,Queen and Led Zeppelin, AC⚡️DC ,GnR have pumped millions into re marketing themselves over the last 20 years releasing multiple films,Documentaries
    repackaging their entire back catalogue on various physical formats and exclusive music and video content for streaming sites .
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    There's a lot to be discussed about this I've always wondered how a person that has stayed away from everything would appreciate the things we appreciate dearly. If someone grows up in an island with no exposure to art, would they appreciate the Mona Lisa upon first seeing it? Would they enjoy Nessun Dorma or Let It Be upon first listen?

Staying on topic, we appreciate Achtung Baby because it's a great album to our standards and compared to the rest of contemporary Western music. But... would it be appealing to a person for whom Achtung Baby is literally the first music they listen to in their lives?

A sociologist and a anthropologist would come in handy here
    This is really interesting to ponder. I'd add in a similar way that Achtung Baby has such value for me and I'm sure many other fans, too, because of its importance in the overall story of the band. Would it be a totally different kind of listen without the backstory of the 80s development of U2, the "dream it all up again" speech, the setting of Berlin right after reunification, the near break-up of the band before "One", etc.?

To be sure, the album wouldn't exist without all of those factors since all art is contextual to an extent. But it's still interesting to think about how much I appreciate the music by itself with/without all of the dynamics that gave rise to it.
  5. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]
    This is really interesting to ponder. I'd add in a similar way that Achtung Baby has such value for me and I'm sure many other fans, too, because of its importance in the overall story of the band. Would it be a totally different kind of listen without the backstory of the 80s development of U2, the "dream it all up again" speech, the setting of Berlin right after reunification, the near break-up of the band before "One", etc.?

To be sure, the album wouldn't exist without all of those factors since all art is contextual to an extent. But it's still interesting to think about how much I appreciate the music by itself with/without all of the dynamics that gave rise to it.
    Yes, that's a complementary line of thought and I had considered to include it, but I decided to stick to the sociology rant

I've stated it several times and some fans have flamed me for it, but I still stand behind what you say, and putting it even more bluntly: a GOOD part of what makes Achtung Baby is SO brilliant is what came before it and the departure it meant for the band, more than the songs themselves. Of course they're brilliant, and some of them are literally the band's finest ever, but what makes the album so great as a whole is its context.
  6. context is great if the songs are great

but regardless of context (as the many many fans will have no real understanding of as they're not as invested as we are) - the songs stand on their own

hence 'one' - a staple at a LOT of weddings because they just like the 'pretty' song

context wise even bono calls it anti-romantic but that is lost on the many

7. Happy 32nd birthday to the Baby
  8. Does this sound like The Fly to anyone else? Heard it in the Hooters in Vegas and I thought it was The Fly for a minute.

9. Not really to me, but I guess most songs based on E with a nice beat could definitely sound familiar
  10. Yup something there.
  11. I can hear similarities in the sound and also see similarities in the visuals.