1. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

I disliked how the story is quite silly at times, and the typical Japanese execution doesn't work for a game that attempts to be serious.Perhaps as I am not an otaku.

While the voice acting is very good, I am only going to watch 80min cutscenes if it has a really really good enthralling story, and unfortunately it seems to break the suspension of disbelief quite a lot, which kills immersion.

I was originally going to get the game if it had stellar graphics, but from the demo, while the graphics are impressive, they are not the best on the system.

This is mainly down to the character models being excellent (as with most Jap games) while the environments have low res textures etc. which makes it look inconsistent. COD4 executed the same type of enivironments (ie Middle East warzone) better graphically.

The MGS4 story isn't that far fetched and is enthralling for the most part. COD4 can't compare graphically. It simply just does not look as good. Period

And never judge a game on it's demo
  2. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]

The MGS4 story isn't that far fetched and is enthralling for the most part. COD4 can't compare graphically. It simply just does not look as good. Period

And never judge a game on it's demo

Which parts does it not look as good in? In the middle eastern parts I though COD looked as good. It doesn't even look as good as Uncharted. Can you post screens, to back it up.
    The cutscenes look good, but then again they are cutscenes.

In game while the models are good but the environments aren't. COD4 has good models and environments.

The story may not be that far fetched but the execution is at times silly. eg. when you first encounter the Metal Gear Mk2 and it starts dancing and then takes out the two pistols with suppressors and the solid eye from its small storage compartment, like its the tardis.

Little things like that break the immersion, while other games while they may have you fighting aliens are at lease internally consistent, it's hard to explain.

And the AI wasn't very good either, and apparently you can still evade enemies by running between areas, which was understandable on the Game Boy/PS versions, but on the PS3??

But again I didn't read much of the hype.
  3. I'm sure I'm late to the party, but I've been playing Rainbow Six Vegas II lately and really enjoying it.

4. I was supposed to be good, two is quite similar to 1 so it should be pretty good. I haven't played the game myself but it certainly sounds appealing to me.

Do you have COD4? how does it compare? Are the enemies smarter and less cheap?
  5. Originally posted by ad87:[..]

i play cod4 day and night on ps3!

whats youre screenname?

best game ever!!

truly great online game!

Oh, hey, never noticed this one

I'm (NED)markp91 (Original, ain't it? )

Yeah, it's awesome online
    And what's your screen name?
  6. Originally posted by markp91:[..]

Oh, hey, never noticed this one

I'm (NED)markp91 (Original, ain't it? )

Yeah, it's awesome online
    And what's your screen name?

allright, never seen you playing..very original!

but my name starts with; bgbfb....en so on, dont know the rest of it!
    when tried other names they were all taken so i was getting angry and typed all kinds of letters with no particular meaning....

gonna play it in just an hour i think..
  7. Originally posted by ad87:[..]

allright, never seen you playing..very original!

but my name starts with; bgbfb....en so on, dont know the rest of it!
    when tried other names they were all taken so i was getting angry and typed all kinds of letters with no particular meaning....

gonna play it in just an hour i think..

Hahaha! Well, I'll look out for you. I'll be happy to shoot you

(Dear crew, I'm talking about a video game, not real life)
  8. Originally posted by markp91:[..]

Hahaha! Well, I'll look out for you. I'll be happy to shoot you

(Dear crew, I'm talking about a video game, not real life)

have my gun waiting...
  9. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Which parts does it not look as good in? In the middle eastern parts I though COD looked as good. It doesn't even look as good as Uncharted. Can you post screens, to back it up.
    The cutscenes look good, but then again they are cutscenes.

In game while the models are good but the environments aren't. COD4 has good models and environments.

The story may not be that far fetched but the execution is at times silly. eg. when you first encounter the Metal Gear Mk2 and it starts dancing and then takes out the two pistols with suppressors and the solid eye from its small storage compartment, like its the tardis.

Little things like that break the immersion, while other games while they may have you fighting aliens are at lease internally consistent, it's hard to explain.

And the AI wasn't very good either, and apparently you can still evade enemies by running between areas, which was understandable on the Game Boy/PS versions, but on the PS3??

But again I didn't read much of the hype.

2 things first. Do you play your games in HD on a 720p (or more TV with HDMI?). Secondly, where are the COD4 middle eastern scenes. It's been a while since I played it but can't remember any (or many) middle eastern parts. Also remember that all of MGS4 isn't set in middle eastern environments.

The A.I in Metal Gear are very very good. If the hear a noise they'l come looking, they'l check under cars, behind boxes etc and if you are spotted and manage to get out of site they will perform a room by room search for at least a minute. If you open fire on them they will find cover then go on the offensive and cover your flanks etc to take you down. You can evade them with clever use of your octocom suite and it does help and yes, sometimes your enemy will walk on by but that has to be expected when you are 95% camoflagued against the surface you are near.

You also have to remember that MGS4 is set in the future so while the Mk2 may be a little far fetched, the Solid Eye certainly isn't.

Screens (click on image for full hi-res). Look at the wall and ground detail. Unchartered is certainly a beautiful game but it's starting to look a little dated. Too much edge enhancement and theres more than a few frame-rate issues. Brilliant game though.

10. It looks exactly like that on my set, but as you can see in the first pic, the environment isnt as good as the models, and it doesn't look as good as the middle eastern areas from COD4.

The graphics are hyped, when you see Gamespot giving it best graphics of the year, beating titles such as Resistance 2, GOW2, Prince of Persia, CODAW etc.
    All the hogwash about how it can't be done on the 360 is another indicator of the amount of hype and spin behind it.

Resistance 2 and Uncharted are both better technically, and Uncharted can certainly match it it terms of cinematic appeal and story, it was like playing an Indian Jones flick.

With regards to AI: I played the demo on Big Boss Hard twice, and it isn't significantly harder, certainly doesn't compare to COD4 on Veteran (which is endlessly frustrating).

Crawling everywhere seems to do the trick quite well, and the few times I got spotted I would just run to some alleyway and shoot the enemies/ hide until the alert went away. Ironically I actually found it easier to kill them rather than hide, as the AI is useless in a gunfight, and when I try to play dead they often come up to you and kick you which then leaves you struggling with the controls trying to out CQC them.

I also noticed a few glitches:

1. Near the beginning of the demo I was spotted, and so ran across the street, turned left into an alleyway, turned left again and ran all the way to the end and hid behind an arch. No enemy ventured into sight in the alley, but when I tried to move (in the caution mode) in a crouch walk, they somehow 'saw' me an immediately raised the alert again. Which meant I had to shoot them down again.

2. I got a cardboard box and was hiding in a room with other cardboard boxes, when an enemy walks in and says "what's this doing here" and picks up the box, however at other times I can be in the middle of a street under the box and they won't notice.

3.Sometimes when you're pressed up against the wall, and lean out to( hold L1) fire, your gun refuses to do so, even if you lean in and out again and try to fire again it doesn't, which is annoying. GTA4 also does this at times.

4. You can still evade enemies by running between areas just like the gameboy version, why is this still possible on the PS3? I remember throwing a petrobomb at the feet of 3 militia, and then ran through to the next zone, only to have no alert mode at all (even caution) active.

5. Occassionally the enemy will run and stop in front of you (when alerted) and then stand there for a few seconds, as if not knowing what to do, and then start shooting.

However the game isn't bad, it's just not the best game ever, as some believe, its very much an 8/10 game if you're not a big fan of the story.

Some very easily found shots, so not the best I could find. A clear example though is the difference in the quality of effects between the petrobomb in MGS4 and grenades in COD4, CoD has simply much more impressive dust and particle effects, as well as better environments.

And what set are u watching it on?
    But even if my set is crap, I would still be able to judge the relative graphical quality between other games (like COD4) played on my setup.
  11. Originally posted by vanquish:It looks exactly like that on my set, but as you can see in the first pic, the environment isnt as good as the models, and it doesn't look as good as the middle eastern areas from COD4.

we aren't viewing these images in HD like I would on my PS3. Google me some screens from COD4 that you think rival Metal Gear
  12. Reply above, took a bit of time.