1. I’d love an angle on Smith throughout. He laughs at the gag and it would appear that he changed his tune when he saw that his life wasn’t laughing. An interesting dynamic there that his initial reaction was to engage in the comedy only to snap seconds later.

That was a long walk up to that stage and there is a moments hesitation before the hit. He still took the swing. All very bizarre and not in line with somebody in control of their mental health.

All this also ignores the fact that it happened in front of a live audience of hundreds and a TV audience in the hundreds of millions. This wasn’t in a bar. Truly a bizarre and surreal incident.
  2. Originally posted by deanallison:Is physical violence really worse than the lowest form of comedy? Most punches cause bruises that heal (key word being ‘most’ I realise violence can be deadly as well) but words can cause a lifetime of mental harm. Maybe this is a good time to consider what is and isn’t acceptable. It’s not about being easily offended, it’s about peoples mental well-being potentially being affected as a result of someone trying to get laughs. Saying don’t listen, don’t watch isn’t an answer either, it’s like saying if you’re the victim of racism or homophobic abuse just go somewhere else. I say this as someone who couldn’t care less if you mocked me, call me fat, ugly, whatever else (hopefully something more original than fat or ugly) but is mocking medical conditions and disabilities ever ok really? I’m not coming at Chris Rock over this btw, the joke he made is of a level that has been accepted for a long time I’m just saying it’s maybe the right time to start to consider where lines should be drawn going forward.

I get what you are saying but is mocking hair loss (even a woman’s hair loss) THAT big of a deal?

(Again, still need to find out more about any other symptoms of alopecia - ie, are there more serious effects?)
  3. Zero excuse for Will Smith. Zero.

Had he stood up and SAID something to Chris Rock and told him the joke was unacceptable and he was offended….fine. Demand an apology then and there. Still weird and creates a totally stupid scene imo, but a plausible reaction. Slapping Chris Rock was not acceptable. Will Smith needs help. Defending Will Smith's actions borders on lunacy.

Also betting Will Smith wouldn’t have been so brave if The Rock had told the joke.
  4. "Is physical violence really worse than the lowest form of comedy?" Yes, considering what could have happened to Chris Rock had he been stunned and fallen, injuring his head, neck, etc. Celebrities who put themselves, their lives and drama in the spotlight are fair game for scrutiny and jokes. Chris's joke was in bad taste, but it definitely wasn't the worst that's been on live TV. And he certainly didn't deserve being assaulted over it.
  5. . They were both wrong but somehow a single slqp is worse than a derogatory comment aimed at someone with a medical condition ?
  6. Originally posted by bonoschild:"Is physical violence really worse than the lowest form of comedy?" Yes, considering what could have happened to Chris Rock had he been stunned and fallen, injuring his head, neck, etc. Celebrities who put themselves, their lives and drama in the spotlight are fair game for scrutiny and jokes. Chris's joke was in bad taste, but it definitely wasn't the worst that's been on live TV. And he certainly didn't deserve being assaulted over it.
    And when people commit suicide because they are verbally bullied what is the difference between dying that way and dying because someone punched you? And don’t say one’s self inflicted because nobody chooses to feel low enough that they commit suicide. And to answer the post above that Rummy asked is it that bad, well yes it is or certainly can be. What if the woman is walking about with zero confidence as a result and then to add insult to the physical condition has to put up with being mocked for it. Again I’m talking a wider issue here than just the incident that we watched. We all know for a fact people have taken their lives because of how they’ve been treated without physical violence being used.
  7. Originally posted by muzika:. They were both wrong but somehow a single slqp is worse than a derogatory comment aimed at someone with a medical condition ?
    I would bet you every bit of money I had that someone who has been the subject of racism or homophobic comments would have rather had a slap than receive some of the verbal comments they have had to endure. The slap is still wrong but words can hurt a lot more in the long term.
    I’m just realising I’m agreeing with you having read back your comment.
  8. Originally posted by muzika:. They were both wrong but somehow a single slqp is worse than a derogatory comment aimed at someone with a medical condition ?
    I tried having this conversation yesterday. The real outrage is we are talking about the Oscars and not Russia/Ukraine.
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    And when people commit suicide because they are verbally bullied what is the difference between dying that way and dying because someone punched you? And don’t say one’s self inflicted because nobody chooses to feel low enough that they commit suicide. And to answer the post above that Rummy asked is it that bad, well yes it is or certainly can be. What if the woman is walking about with zero confidence as a result and then to add insult to the physical condition has to put up with being mocked for it. Again I’m talking a wider issue here than just the incident that we watched. We all know for a fact people have taken their lives because of how they’ve been treated without physical violence being used.
    Like I said, his joke was in bad taste and he shouldn't have said it.. but it didn't warrant being answered with violence
  10. Originally posted by bonoschild:[..]
    Like I said, his joke was in bad taste and he shouldn't have said it.. but it didn't warrant being answered with violence
    Yeah I’m not saying what Will Smith did was right. It was the wrong thing to do. But none of us know how Jada has been affected by the joke, she might be absolutely fine, she comes across as a very confident woman, but she could have been the type where her confidence is completely shot because of it and then the joke would have had longer lasting effects than the slap. Does that make it worse? Not definitively but I think you could certainly make the case generally that verbal abuse can be as bad if not worse than physical violence depending on the circumstances. As I say it’s a good time I think for a wider issue to be raised. There’s plenty of ways of being funny and having laughs without mocking people particularly regarding sensitive issues.
  11. I'll be honest - I didn't think I was waiting for THIS for 13 years...