1. Originally posted by RistoWelcome back Ali

Hey Chris Thanks, great work with the Live Topics BTW
  2. Thanks Glad you like it
  3. Welcome back Ali
  4. Originally posted by AidanFormigoniWelcome back Ali

Thanks Aidan, lovely avatar!
  5. Even though you don't know me since I've been here for about a year, I'll say welcome back! You've appeared to be an interesting character when I've read old topics where you've posted. Look forward to meeting you around the forums
  6. What a brilliant read!! It is really interesting to read about your life and culture and try to imagine how different things must be on a daily basis with the stupid Ministry Of Culture trying to control YOUR life.
    I hope that one day you can be free to listen to whatever you want in your own country .
  7. Originally posted by Mr_Trek:Even though you don't know me since I've been here for about a year, I'll say welcome back! You've appeared to be an interesting character when I've read old topics where you've posted. Look forward to meeting you around the forums

Thanks man, glad you liked my posts. hope to see you more around the forums.

Originally posted by ScottCroft:What a brilliant read!! It is really interesting to read about your life and culture and try to imagine how different things must be on a daily basis with the stupid Ministry Of Culture trying to control YOUR life.
    I hope that one day you can be free to listen to whatever you want in your own country .

Thanks Scott. It isn't as bad it sounds. They have certain rules that have to be obeyed, but we're mostly used to them by now...we find our own ways of doing what we want with our life. Keep in mind, it is not a system as closed as greater dictatorships in this region, or maybe North Korea. We get to do what we like, of course many artists are unable to pass the filter of the culture ministry, but they use Internet and other media to show us their work.
  8. ...sorry for resurrecting this topic again - but it's my place on U2Start, so I thought it would be the best place to share this! (Thanks for the hint Sergio )

I'm moving to London!!!

I am moving there to study for a PhD! This is a big step in my life - and will probably lead to me living outside my country from now on.

As much as I love Iran, due to the sanctions and the tough situation we're in, there is no way to find proper work in my field here, as all necessary tools and devices are part of the sanctions. That's why I'm seeking to continue outside my country to live a better life.

So..anyway, I'll be in London from October 10th. I have family and friends there, so I'm all set. However, I'm going to have to live on a budget and could use some advice from anyone living in the UK on good deals I could get. I'm going to have to get a studio flat probably, and I suppose I need to sign up with an internet/tv service and probably buy the necessary devices...any advice is welcome!

Hope to see some of you guys once I move there...and to finally see U2 live on their next tour!
  9. big step indeed .. good luck and all the best for your new life

ah next U2 tour won't pass through England
  10. Originally posted by Ali709:...sorry for resurrecting this topic again - but it's my place on U2Start, so I thought it would be the best place to share this! (Thanks for the hint Sergio )

I'm moving to London!!!

I am moving there to study for a PhD! This is a big step in my life - and will probably lead to me living outside my country from now on.

As much as I love Iran, due to the sanctions and the tough situation we're in, there is no way to find proper work in my field here, as all necessary tools and devices are part of the sanctions. That's why I'm seeking to continue outside my country to live a better life.

So..anyway, I'll be in London from October 10th. I have family and friends there, so I'm all set. However, I'm going to have to live on a budget and could use some advice from anyone living in the UK on good deals I could get. I'm going to have to get a studio flat probably, and I suppose I need to sign up with an internet/tv service and probably buy the necessary devices...any advice is welcome!

Hope to see some of you guys once I move there...and to finally see U2 live on their next tour!

Advice on living on a budget in the UK? Avoid London

Sky is by far the best TV service in the UK and so long as you can install or already have a satellite dish installed, you'll be good to go. They also include broadband at a reduced price as part of your package if you decide to go with them for that too. It can be costly though depending on what you want. Sports and Movies are expensive but without them, you're looking at £35-£40 a month with unlimited broadband included (line rental is £14.50 a month). They do offer a free broadband but downloads are capped at 2GB. Plus, as a new customer they throw joining gifts at you. At the moment it's a free £100 Tesco voucher and a free HD box and installation. HD is an extra £5 a month. So in total you're looking at £60 a month with HD. You can also access a host of other Sky services on your mobile and tablet such as Sky Go (TV streaming for available channels) and Sky WiFi (free access to Sky Cloud hotspots).

Virgin Media is terrible for TV just because of the UI on the box. Their broadband is pretty good though, one of the fastest connections I've used was Virgin. However it is more expensive than Sky.

There are other paid service providers out there too, but I can't comment on their quality or prices because I haven't used them. If you're really going for the budget TV, we have decent free TV options available in Freeview (requires a good signal using an aerial) or Freesat (uses a satellite dish for improved quality). Both are available in HD and with built in hard drives but you do have to pay a one-off premium for those boxes.

It's worth having a look around the internet at Sky, Virgin, BT, TalkTalk, Freeview, and Freesat to see what will suit your requirements. I recommend Sky. As a student I was able to afford Sky in private accomodation but I must say that my rent and utility bills were quite cheap compared to other students. I know Gerard uses Sky too and I'm sure he'd recommend it with equal enthusiasm.

Finally, don't forget your TV license And I hope you enjoy your time in London
  11. ah beware .. englishmen want to speak only english and they drive like mad

(and that is true always on the wrong side and in the wrong direction hehehe)
  12. Thanks Ronnie...and thanks for the no tour in England heads up

Tim...thanks a lot! That's some nice info right there!
    I did try to avoid London! But ended up having to go there anyway...will still try my best to make it work. I'll take a look at the services you mentioned...Sky seems pretty good, might check out the details.