1. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    Those Popmart gigs in South America that were broadcast were part of covering the costs of bringing the tour there, at the time U2 had no sponsorship so bringing the production there costs them a fortune McGuinness talks about it in the book "U2 Show" they probably didn't release any of them because they specifically filmed Mexico for commercial release and anyway they are up on YouTube if fans wanna watch them.
    So the tv stations in South America have likely paid a fee but only to broadcast the shows they won’t actually own any of it. I guess that makes sense the same way it would cost tv stations money to broadcast a film but they don’t actually own it the film still gets released. I really would love them to release all of their proshot stuff one day. Just the stuff that is already out there but just improve the audio and visuals as much as possible.
  2. Forgive my ignorance, but what was so bad about Glastonbury? Serious question, I just don't know.
  3. I love Glastonbury and think it blows the Rose Bowl show out of the water. That is the worst live document they have put out officially or broadcast in my opinion.
  4. Originally posted by unclejosh:I love Glastonbury and think it blows the Rose Bowl show out of the water. That is the worst live document they have put out officially or broadcast in my opinion.
    I think the shows compliment each other quite well. 7 songs played at Glastonbury I believe that weren’t played at the Rose Bowl and both shows had some great highlights. I wouldn’t put any of them as my favourite broadcast/released shows but they wouldn’t be near the worst either.
  5. I saw the show directly after Glastonbury, in Michigan. I was worried that we'd get a phoned in, lazy, jet-lagged show after the whirlwind of flying to England, doing the gig, and flying back. Quite the opposite, they were on fire that night! Maybe they just aren't as good when they're out of their comfort zone? Ever since TUF tour they never really played many festivals. Meanwhile bands like Muse, Coldplay, Radiohead etc have played Glastonbury half a dozen times or so, along with countless other festivals.
  6. I think the rain shut down a lot of Bono’s plan of being really active on stage. After his back surgery he was more high energy on the leg of the tour than he had been since pop mart. But the rain, a slippery stage and “the wrong shoes” as he put it, led to a most settled performance. It’s a fun set, but I still think not opening with streets into I will follow, then doing the achtung stuff was a big mistake
  7. Personally I would've added in Zoo Station and done something like this:

1. Zoo Station
    2. The Fly
    3. Even Better Than The Real Thing
    4. Mysterious Ways / Independent Women
    5. One
    6. Until the End of the World
    7. Get on Your Boots / She Loves You
    8. Beautiful Day / Rain
    9. Elevation
    10. I Will Follow
    11. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Movin' On Up
    12. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
    13. Vertigo / Garageland
    14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    15. Bad / Jerusalem
    16. Jerusalem / Where the Streets Have No Name / Can't Take My Eyes Off You / All You Need Is Love
    17. Pride (In the Name of Love)

encore(s):
    18. Out Of Control
    19. With or Without You / Love Will Tear Us Apart
    20. Yellow / Moment Of Surrender
  8. Originally posted by podiumboy:I saw the show directly after Glastonbury, in Michigan. I was worried that we'd get a phoned in, lazy, jet-lagged show after the whirlwind of flying to England, doing the gig, and flying back. Quite the opposite, they were on fire that night! Maybe they just aren't as good when they're out of their comfort zone? Ever since TUF tour they never really played many festivals. Meanwhile bands like Muse, Coldplay, Radiohead etc have played Glastonbury half a dozen times or so, along with countless other festivals.
    They probably just stayed on US time.
  9. Originally posted by podiumboy:I saw the show directly after Glastonbury, in Michigan. I was worried that we'd get a phoned in, lazy, jet-lagged show after the whirlwind of flying to England, doing the gig, and flying back. Quite the opposite, they were on fire that night! Maybe they just aren't as good when they're out of their comfort zone? Ever since TUF tour they never really played many festivals. Meanwhile bands like Muse, Coldplay, Radiohead etc have played Glastonbury half a dozen times or so, along with countless other festivals.
    I was at East Lansing as well. Great night. That weekend was a great moment for U2.
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:Bit of a bump here but it’s just to ask a question to those in the know. I’ve often mentioned that I hope the band release shows that were broadcast on tv as we know they have been filmed to a professional standard. However I know the band have access to lots of audio and video but would they have access to shows like vertigo São Paulo, Buenos Aires, Popmart Santiago, zoo tv Washington and actually one of my main examples zoo tv Basel? I mention Basel because that’s one of the weaker quality of the proshots but is it likely the band would have access to the footage and be able to turn it into something as good as official release quality? Basically wondering as well if something broadcast on tv is the tv stations property or the bands to use?
    Apart from the copyright/ownership issue, which I don't know much about, there is an undeniable fact that can't be changed and most probably hinders any potential release from these shows: most/all of those shows were videotaped and not filmed (on film) so they can't be properly remastered. They could be upscaled or treated like the recent Slane, Sydney or Mexico broadcasts but they won't ever reach a true modern FHD/4K quality.
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Apart from the copyright/ownership issue, which I don't know much about, there is an undeniable fact that can't be changed and most probably hinders any potential release from these shows: most/all of those shows were videotaped and not filmed (on film) so they can't be properly remastered. They could be upscaled or treated like the recent Slane, Sydney or Mexico broadcasts but they won't ever reach a true modern FHD/4K quality.
    Yeah it’s the copyright issue I was more curious about, the upscale thing like Sydney, Slane and Mexico is what I’d be expecting but with better audio as I assume they at least have that in the vaults and could even use some audience noise from the broadcast for a fuller mix since it sounds like the soundboards from back then are crowd free from what Edge was saying.