1. Originally posted by Ricku2:maybe there are a few yes, maybe a few small upgrades, but is that worth all the effort of sorting 1000 tapes out? Also the u2start archive is missing lots of recordings and upgrades.. if that's the measure, maybe we first should get that one up to date..
    Feel free to help us

@KTM3 thanks again for your willingness to help the community out There's no hurry and I'm sure there is A LOT in your collection that we (nor U2torrents) don't have, so this project is DEFINITELY much appreciated.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Feel free to help us

@KTM3 thanks again for your willingness to help the community out There's no hurry and I'm sure there is A LOT in your collection that we (nor U2torrents) don't have, so this project is DEFINITELY much appreciated.
    just to be clear, I'm already trying to help.. you probably think I'm just being negative, but I've compared the list with the u2t packages. Like I said there might be a few shows on the list (if labelling is correct) that are not already available. We just have to be careful with just randomly throwing unknown gen tapes into the U2 recordingspool...
    Gerd should be very proud of that tape collection, but there's (probably) no need to digitalize at least 95% of those tapes.. saves Gerd time and effort as well as the 'community'. You guys should be a bit more critical in that sense.
    About updating the U2start archive; I wouldn't mind to get 1 or 2 tours up to date, but I'm not too fond to encode them to mp3 first. Personally I have no problem with mp3, but I think many tapers and collectors do.. so not sure if I should help spreading mp3's... but no problem in uploading them in lossless format.
  3. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]
    About updating the U2start archive; I wouldn't mind to get 1 or 2 tours up to date, but I'm not too fond to encode them to mp3 first. Personally I have no problem with mp3, but I think many tapers and collectors do.. so not sure if I should help spreading mp3's... but no problem in uploading them in lossless format.
    ↑↓

We have HUNDREDS of lossless bootlegs so it's obviously not a problem to us. The situation with MP3s and FLACs is not the same as it was in 2006 when we started this place, there'll be the odd guy every now and then who doesn't know how to play or convert them but it's far from being a major problem anymore.
  4. Also, nobody said Gerd should digitalize all of them. The whole point of this is comparing what he has with what we/the U2 world in general have and digitalize only upgrades or new sources.
  5. from the opening post;
    Originally posted by KTM3:dear all
    I am looking for someone interested in digitalising the ones that might be interesting or all

If he really wants his collection digitalized, I think he should have a look at u2t first.
    About uploading here on u2start; I'm fine with doing that, but we first have to talk about what is the best way and what is fair towards u2t and tapers and traders. I think mp3 makes more sense to users, but like I said, tapers and traders who've uploaded on u2t seem to have a clear preference for lossless.
  6. As someone who has converted hundreds of tapes in the last few years, shared most of them, barely scratched the surface of the u2 ones but upgraded a few along the way with more waiting in the wings and having been collecting tapes for 40 years can I just say that I think of no one else at all when i'm doing them and I'd urge everyone to do the same. Do them for yourself, enjoy reliving the past without which no sites would exist.
  7. Originally posted by eddiemonsoon:As someone who has converted hundreds of tapes in the last few years, shared most of them, barely scratched the surface of the u2 ones but upgraded a few along the way with more waiting in the wings and having been collecting tapes for 40 years can I just say that I think of no one else at all when i'm doing them and I'd urge everyone to do the same. Do them for yourself, enjoy reliving the past without which no sites would exist.
    that's an option, it's up to Gerd in the end.. but u2torrents could save him a lot of time, probably gives him a lot of upgrades as well and for him also a good indication where maybe he can give us some upgrades.. no need to reinvent the wheel.
  8. Hi Gerd is there any update on this exciting project. It’s gone a little quiet has Bono or the Boys been around and impounded the tapes.
  9. well I tried a few myself, but unhappy on the result
    I tried with 2 local people, but also not satisfied & now tryign a third person
    but I htink it requires a 'fan' to care for it with some knowledge
    I have been comparing and I have definitely quite some more complete shows on tape, btu I should do it methodically - maybe someone knows by heart where songs are missing ? & i can compare. Anyway it stays a dream to solve it, btu always nice to be busy with from time to time, so help is still welcome
    next steps
    - hope for Bono to walk on & digitlaise them himself
    - intend to buy a decent piece of equipment for it & convert, but then ask others to split teh tracks & improve sound, as I am unable to
    - hope for someone to help me
  10. Originally posted by KTM3:well I tried a few myself, but unhappy on the result
    I tried with 2 local people, but also not satisfied & now tryign a third person
    but I htink it requires a 'fan' to care for it with some knowledge
    I have been comparing and I have definitely quite some more complete shows on tape, btu I should do it methodically - maybe someone knows by heart where songs are missing ? & i can compare. Anyway it stays a dream to solve it, btu always nice to be busy with from time to time, so help is still welcome
    next steps
    - hope for Bono to walk on & digitlaise them himself
    - intend to buy a decent piece of equipment for it & convert, but then ask others to split teh tracks & improve sound, as I am unable to
    - hope for someone to help me
    Hey Gerd! Nice to see you back.

So, if I understand correctly, you bought some equipment and already tried converting a few of your tapes? It would be interesting to hear what you converted and are "unhappy" with, to see if there's room for improvement - either in the transfer process or in post editing. I would be up for splitting & editing & uploading for any recordings you identify as improvements or additions
  11. Indeed I converted a few low risk tapes with a cheap device, but it was not good, deleted those
    I now am waiting for a third person to help me, and will share those results with you ( expected in a few days / also low risk ones. If those work out fine, I'll buy myself a copy of his device and start working through the backlog by comparing - will be a long journey
    Would be very appreciated if you split & edit, thank you so much