1. Just stumbled on this on YT:

To me from 07:00 inwards that sounds like the demo "Trying to throw your arms around the world" And a bit later there is a hybrid between the R&H version and the Salome version of "blow your house down". Although it also sounds like "I feel free" from the those tapes.

Anybody know more about this?
  2. Very interesting find, I also heard something similar to the guitar riff from the chorus of 'Ultraviolet' on the last jam.
  3. Sounds like Montgomery's Visit. Nightown.
  4. Yes, heard that too!
  5. Guitar part of Montgomery's Visit is similar to the kindergarten version of TTTYAATW.

Weird to hear this stuff on a Lovetown soundcheck though. Obviously they had worked on stuff/demos by that time, that ended up either on AB or b-sides.
  6. I've always loved that electric soundcheck of Slow Dancing. Me and my soft spot for 3/4 (6/8) time signature

There's also a PInkfloydish-sounding tune right after it, at 05:20. Some nice bluesy riffs in there, and a total ripoff of Another Brick part II at 05:57

I think there are more instances of soon-to-be Achtung Baby songs being rehearsed openly in '89, but I can't recall nor research on it right now.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:I think there are more instances of soon-to-be Achtung Baby songs being rehearsed openly in '89, but I can't recall nor research on it right now.
    Of course there are many more cases of this happening throughout U2's history - and it's still happening nowadays! Pride was born in a late '83 soundcheck, there's a recording of a Baby Zooropa in Kansas '92, etc etc.

But hearing the genesis of Achtung Baby songs during Lovetown is specially shocking taking into account the BIG change in sound & attitude that occured between '89 and '91 (*). One would think that all of the material that ended up in Achtung Baby was brand new!

(*) not counting God Part II which I've always considered the first song from Achtung Baby! lol
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Of course there are many more cases of this happening throughout U2's history - and it's still happening nowadays! Pride was born in a late '83 soundcheck, there's a recording of a Baby Zooropa in Kansas '92, etc etc.

But hearing the genesis of Achtung Baby songs during Lovetown is specially shocking taking into account the BIG change in sound & attitude that occured between '89 and '91 (*). One would think that all of the material that ended up in Achtung Baby was brand new!

(*) not counting God Part II which I've always considered the first song from Achtung Baby! lol
    Yes, God Part II is definitely a bridge song!
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

Is the Baby Zooropa on this?

Is there a recording of the Pride version in 1983?
  10. Yes, that jam they play that starts sounding like 'Seconds', soon picks up and you can hear the chord structure of an early Zooropa.
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

This is exactly why I was so surprised to find this, It's not really that uncommon that songs "exist" for some time, but probably more that period.

Although, if we look in hindsight probably the majority of AB was conceived in some way before they even hit Berlin..
  12. Originally posted by EridescoFly:[..]
    Yes, that jam they play that starts sounding like 'Seconds', soon picks up and you can hear the chord structure of an early Zooropa.
    Thought that "seconds" part sounded more like an early City of blinding lights actually