2019-11-22 - Sydney
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Songs played: 26
Audio recordings: 1
  1. I guess this is why the SCG isn't often used for concerts, hope they sort out as much as possible for tonight
  2. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    Sounds like the venue wasn't suitable have they not proper Stadiums in Sydney they could have used instead??, I don't see why the band couldn't have continued using the 360 stage for outdoor shows it was all about "this is the future of stadium shows' and "U2 are the leading the way with this type of touring production" etc etc and most people in the stadium had a great view no matter where they were standing.
    Sydney has ANZ stadium (capacity 83,500), which was used for 360 (2 shows) & Vertigo (3 shows). I'd say they'd sell one show there now, but go nowhere near selling out two.

The new Bankwest stadium (capacity 30,000) is probably too small for two shows, & they probably didn't want to do three shows.

So there's nothing really suitable if demand is 90,000-100,000.

Allianz stadium (capacity 45,500) would probably have been perfect. But the government is in the middle of knocking it down for no good reason. This stadium was used for ZooTV & Popmart. There should be a new stadium here in a few years, if U2 ever make it back.

Personally, I'm kinda happy they chose to do end of stage, not in-the-round. We haven't had a stadium tour with a screen behind the band in ages. Not since Vertigo (outdoor) & Popmart. Neither of which were high resolution screens, with brilliant graphics. From up close I've been getting a slight feeling of vertigo (no pun) early in the show. Especially for I Still Haven't Found, as the forest moves behind the band.

I don't think the problem is the setup & the screen. I think it's the choice of venues. The seats are going to be miles away at a cricket/AFL ground. I believe the SCG, which isn't a particularly big field (it's short & wide), measures ~150m x 135m. Compared to a rugby/football field ~110m x 68m, NFL even smaller.

I guess that, for any stadium tour, the sound is going to be variable, poor in some places.
  3. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:Brilliant show last night however my experience was marred by sight restriction issues. I had Cat-3 in Bay 15 [unrestricted supposedly] but when I arrived that bay was covered in cloth and we were offered a range of seats nearby in other bays. The best available left me able to see Larry but nothing else on the B-Stage.Very disappointed by that and fortunate to have seen other shows but Live Nation and Ticketet need to lift their game significantly in terms of identifying seats with restrictions. Paying $200 to see <70% of the band's performance is theft.
    Bummer about the seats mate. I guess if you have problems tonight, hopefully there will be better options, as the show isn't sold out. I'd also mention that you weren't happy with the seats you were moved to last night. Might get a nice upgrade.

Are you in the Victor Trumper stand tonight? That's where my sister is. I'm a bit worried about the sound, after noticing the very bad echo (when Bono talked) from the front of GA.
  4. Back in Trumper stand and have to say the sound there was much better than Melbourne for U2. Noel was poorer though. When he spoke to the audience, all I got was a mumble, and only his F-bombs were coherent.
  5. My review - which will be much shorter than my Brisbane one

I'm sleep deprived, after being in line at 5am for the last two days.

I can't talk, after singing & screaming at the top of my lungs.

My legs hurt, after dancing & po-go-ing for most of the show.

I was soaked to the bone, after being struck in that thunder storm for 3 hours, only in a t-shirt & shorts.

I'M READY TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!

Highlights:

Definitely Bad. Amazing snippet tribute to Hutch, I had a year in my eye & a little whimper.

Stuck. Not a fan of this song, but loved it last night. Very moving to see the simple images of Michael, another tear in my ear.

The band seemed to be improving every show. Bono was up for it! Was nice to get both IWF & Bad, just like Melbourne.

Noel is a funny bastard, even more so than when he was in Brisbane.
  6. Ooooh Stuck is back? It’s a real good song. Treasure it.
  7. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:Back in Trumper stand and have to say the sound there was much better than Melbourne for U2. Noel was poorer though. When he spoke to the audience, all I got was a mumble, and only his F-bombs were coherent.
    So you were moved from Bay 15 to the Victor Trumper stand last night? What section & row?

My sister is 313, so hopefully unobstructed by the wider delay tower. Row K, so hopefully the sound's good there. She can't complain for $62 anyway.
  8. I'd guess it's a one off for Michael Hutchence.

I'd expect
    Spoiler (click to toggle)
    Love Is Bigger
    be back tonight.
  9. On a personal note, I'm heading to the show tonight with my eldest daughter and this will be the 3rd Australian tour and the 4th show we have seen together. A pretty good achievement considering she was born 5 years after The Joshua Tree was released. Makes each show a memorable shared experience for the both of us.
  10. Can't believe they even consider swapping ebw with the best thing. Honestly a huge highlight
  11. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:On a personal note, I'm heading to the show tonight with my eldest daughter and this will be the 3rd Australian tour and the 4th show we have seen together. A pretty good achievement considering she was born 3 years after The Joshua Tree was released. Makes each show a memorable shared experience for the both of us.
    That's so cool. Took my daughter's for the first time in Auckland, 11 and 8 year olds
  12. And we both swear we have educated them, not indoctrinated them, right?