1. So I had a good idea of remastering some bad audio recordings that are here in the archives. I felt like Joshua Tree was a good start so I found a two star recording of 1987-09-10. I tried my best. I copied and pasted WTSHNN 4 times so its nice and loud, added some noise reduction to get rid of that crowd noise, pitch the speed down -5 cause it was off speed cause of the low quality cassette or something, and put each recording at a nice 10 db. If this sounds bad and I need a different way of remastering stuff like this, tell me below. (BigGiRL this is mainly for you ) Anyways, heres the first song. I'd boost it to at least a 2 and a half or maybe a 3 star idk.
  2. Originally posted by UnderARedSky:So I had a good idea of remastering some bad audio recordings that are here in the archives. I felt like Joshua Tree was a good start so I found a two star recording of 1987-09-10. I tried my best. I copied and pasted WTSHNN 4 times so its nice and loud, added some noise reduction to get rid of that crowd noise, pitch the speed down -5 cause it was off speed cause of the low quality cassette or something, and put each recording at a nice 10 db. If this sounds bad and I need a different way of remastering stuff like this, tell me below. (BigGiRL this is mainly for you ) Anyways, heres the first song. I'd boost it to at least a 2 and a half or maybe a 3 star idk.
    It's fun to try to upgrade audience recordings, especially vintage ones

I started doing that almost 20 years ago now and I'm learning still every day.

Of course, you wouldn't be posting this if you didn't want me to say something about it, so I will.

1.) Be conscientious.

Each audience recording deserves your respect. The tapers who made them did this almost always with some kind of risk and investment.
    Therefore, to be conscientious, means that you have to account for all your steps. Sort of what you did already, but also write it down in a "lineage" kinda way. Like stating which programs you used and what conversions you made. Scientifically. Look at my info files...for example...

Indeed, "conscientious" has the word "science" in it, derived from the Latin "scire". It means: knowing and understanding, but also "to be able". And knowledge no doubt comes from trial and error (I believe that's how they invented the famous wheel), but you can also learn a lot from study. Nowadays there are a lot of YouTube tutorials, but there is also plenty to read on the matter.

"To be able" in case of remastering definitely comes down to the programs you use. I confess that for way too long I used an outdated program but once I started using Adobe Audition and iZotope, I think I cached up quite well. And with Ozone one can really start rocking

...well, that's it for now. I am literally getting ready for a good two week vacation, so time is a bit short today.

Just one practical tip: always cut your tracks on sector boundaries. Don't fix it afterwards with TLH (that's only a last resort thing). If your program doesn't know how to cut on sector boundaries, you are using the wrong program. But mini-gaps in a remaster are deadly...

Anyway, the WTSHNN sample sure hits the 2.5 mark (but I'm not sure were it came from... )

Take your time @UnderARedSky. Experience can't be bought, nor can it be stolen. You just got to have your own mileage. It's rewarding
  3. PS: I changed the name of your topic. "Bad" recordings may be confused with recordings of the song "Bad".
    And furthermore, the word "bad" also implies a judgement. Obviously a knife is bad when it doesn't cut, but for concert recordings it is not so black and white. There are a few white recordings, but almost all of the rest comes in all kinds of grey (or "gray").
  4. BTW: did you know that there is already a "speed-fixed" remaster?

(Unknown gen. cassette > speed fix)

Disc 1:
    1. [Star Spangled Banner Intro/]Bullet the Blue Sky
    2. Where the Streets Have No Name
    3. I Will Follow
    4. Trip Through Your Wires
    5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For/Exodus
    6. MLK
    7. The Unforgettable Fire
    8. Exit/
    9. Silver and Gold
    10. In God's Country
    11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    12. Help!
    13. Helter Skelter

Disc 2:
    1. Bad
    2. Running to Stand Still
    3. New Year's Day
    4. Pride (In the Name of Love)
    5. One Tree Hill
    6. With or Without You
    7. Party Girl
    8. "40"

Source:
    September 10, 1987, Uniondale, New York. Nassau Coliseum

History:

Aiwa mic > Unknown gen. analog tape > CD-R (Scott) > CD-R (Chris) > CD-R (Mike) > EAC Secure > Goldwave (speed fix, re-index) > FLAC

Comments:

I received both of these shows from Chris Wolf a while ago, who has told me they were from Scott Zumsteg.

For reference, I think Chris originally named both of these: the first one "Rockin' in the L.I.E." and the second titled "Running to Where the Streets Have No Name." He subsequently changed the name of the second one on his site to match Justin's, "Run Like a River," even though Justin's recordings are apparently each missing the last 2 songs. So these were/are not the ones Justin has, and are complete.

This show required several speed fixes, as there are several cuts in the show, probably the results of tape flips and other tape transfers over the years. I also think these might have had non-linear speed issues, which would mean that as the show goes on, the speed changes, and the low quality of the recording, the various cuts (resulting in different speeds), the difficulty for me in matching up certain songs and the wear of age and tape transfers all made it difficult. I enlisted the help of Jeff Shirkey, who helped me compare various tracks, but I tried to fine tune it as best I could. I also edited out various periods of silence and added a fades where appropriate.

This was done with I guess a non-professional recording equipment. The recording is just OK, and has some clipping especially with the high frequencies, which are probably is a result of the equipment, the recording level, subsequent transfers or some or all of the above. However, the bass comes through very nicely and these are not quite on the level of "completists only" and are listenable. So, it's not the best, but these are rather overlooked as far as shows go, and better recordings don't seem to have ever shown up.

As for the show, this is, of course, the first of two nights in Uniodale, NY, where U2 opened leg 3 of the Joshua Tree Tour. The setlist was the same as the next night's, with Jimi Hendrix's "The Star Spangled Banner" and "Bullet the Blue Sky" to open the show. Following that, the Edge ripped right into "Where the Streets Have No Name." It started off a little shaky as the timing between the band members was a bit off, but they pulled it off. After trying this one more time the next night, they gave up and went back to having "Streets" as the opener for the rest of the tour. "Silver and Gold" was segued from "Exit," the second ever performance, culminating in a great guitar solo, with Bono trying to figure out how to end the song. "Helter Skelter," "One Tree Hill" (the first performance of each, at least in front of an audience) were also played.

The only flaws I found besides some edits was a pop in MLK,
  5. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    It's fun to try to upgrade audience recordings, especially vintage ones

I started doing that almost 20 years ago now and I'm learning still every day.

Of course, you wouldn't be posting this if you didn't want me to say something about it, so I will.

1.) Be conscientious.

Each audience recording deserves your respect. The tapers who made them did this almost always with some kind of risk and investment.
    Therefore, to be conscientious, means that you have to account for all your steps. Sort of what you did already, but also write it down in a "lineage" kinda way. Like stating which programs you used and what conversions you made. Scientifically. Look at my info files...for example...

Indeed, "conscientious" has the word "science" in it, derived from the Latin "scire". It means: knowing and understanding, but also "to be able". And knowledge no doubt comes from trial and error (I believe that's how they invented the famous wheel), but you can also learn a lot from study. Nowadays there are a lot of YouTube tutorials, but there is also plenty to read on the matter.

"To be able" in case of remastering definitely comes down to the programs you use. I confess that for way too long I used an outdated program but once I started using Adobe Audition and iZotope, I think I cached up quite well. And with Ozone one can really start rocking

...well, that's it for now. I am literally getting ready for a good two week vacation, so time is a bit short today.

Just one practical tip: always cut your tracks on sector boundaries. Don't fix it afterwards with TLH (that's only a last resort thing). If your program doesn't know how to cut on sector boundaries, you are using the wrong program. But mini-gaps in a remaster are deadly...

Anyway, the WTSHNN sample sure hits the 2.5 mark (but I'm not sure were it came from... )

Take your time @UnderARedSky. Experience can't be bought, nor can it be stolen. You just got to have your own mileage. It's rewarding
    Thanks you for this. Im using Audacity for these recordings and I've done stuff like this before, but now with concerts. Does it do sector boundaries?
  6. Man, great job!