2018-05-02 - Tulsa
Tour: Experience and Innocence tour
Songs played: 29
Audio recordings: 1
Videos: 1
  1. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]
    Western swing, baby!

I don’t know what the fuss about opening the tour in Tulsa is about. It’s not like it’s in the middle of nowhere or some small town. It’s a fairly major city, bigger than all but nine in the UK. I’m actually pretty jealous - I wish I could head out to Tulsa for the show, it seems like a pretty cool city.
    It reminds of them rehearsing/opening Zoo TV in Lakeland, FL... except Tulsa is bigger.
  2. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]
    Western swing, baby!

I don’t know what the fuss about opening the tour in Tulsa is about. It’s not like it’s in the middle of nowhere or some small town. It’s a fairly major city, bigger than all but nine in the UK. I’m actually pretty jealous - I wish I could head out to Tulsa for the show, it seems like a pretty cool city.

PPL from cities slag other cities. The larger the city one is from, the more ignorance they display about others locales.
  3. I live in Oklahoma, I talk shit about stuff here on a regular basis (our Right-Wing politicians, our useless governor, the fact that we let rich people run the state to the detriment of the poor).

However, there are some really ignorant statements being made about Tulsa. Rush kicked off their 2015 R40 here (I was there). Roger Waters rehearsed for his Desert Trip shows at the BOK Center (and came back and played to a packed house last May).

The issue with the ticket sales is simple. They priced them too high (everywhere).The US economy is fucked at the moment, especially for people under 40.

Those tickets will sell though, just give it time.

If you're going to shit-talk Oklahoma, there are plenty of valid reasons, U2 not selling what one perceives as enough tickets in Tulsa isn't one of them.
  4. Originally posted by Coso:I live in Oklahoma, I talk shit about stuff here on a regular basis (our Right-Wing politicians, our useless governor, the fact that we let rich people run the state to the detriment of the poor).

However, there are some really ignorant statements being made about Tulsa. Rush kicked off their 2015 R40 here (I was there). Roger Waters rehearsed for his Desert Trip shows at the BOK Center (and came back and played to a packed house last May).

The issue with the ticket sales is simple. They priced them too high (everywhere).The US economy is fucked at the moment, especially for people under 40.

If you're going to shit-talk Oklahoma, there are plenty of valid reasons, U2 not selling what one perceives as enough tickets in Tulsa isn't one of them.
    Totally agree, the non-sellout is mainly due to the prices. If you want a decent view of the stage that isn't behind you are paying roughly $100ish.
  5. Originally posted by Coso:I live in Oklahoma, I talk shit about stuff here on a regular basis (our Right-Wing politicians, our useless governor, the fact that we let rich people run the state to the detriment of the poor).

Thanks for sharing.
  6. Originally posted by guykirk9:[..]
    Totally agree, the non-sellout is mainly due to the prices. If you want a decent view of the stage that isn't behind you are paying roughly $100ish.
    Exactly. People aren't paying that type of money easily at the moment.

Outside of the echo chamber, not everyone's lives revolve around U2!
  7. So they are playing Tulsa by default as they are warming up there , somewhere out of the way.
    And Tulsa would rank about 18th largest town in UK on a par with Coventry
  8. Originally posted by Timk68:So they are playing Tulsa by default as they are warming up there , somewhere out of the way.
    And Tulsa would rank about 18th largest town in UK on a par with Coventry
    12th biggest behind Cardiff and ahead of Manchester. The comparison though is unfair again as Coventry don’t have an arena anywhere near as impressive as Tulsa do.
  9. Yeah but Coventry won the 1986-87 FA Cup. My second cousin was the captain!
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    12th biggest behind Cardiff and ahead of Manchester. The comparison though is unfair again as Coventry don’t have an arena anywhere near as impressive as Tulsa do.
    Ricoh Arena !!
    Good enough for Springsteen last year and the stones this year
  11. It would be impressive if u2 could pull off the E&I stage structure inside a stadium.
  12. Ryan Tedder, one of the producers of Songs of Experience is from Tulsa. Maybe he had some influence on the decision to kick of the tour there.