1. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]
    That's a very good point. They haven't said, 'we had to add stuff about Trump and Brexit and the other nonsense that's happened onto the record,' they have just said that those things happened and they had to take account of them on the record. Which could very well mean making an album to bridge the gap, to give people optimism in times where they feel cut adrift, to remind everyone that there is a light. I like that idea a lot...
    Going on a tangent, up to November I had to use Radiohead's "A Moon Shaped Pool" as my go to album for the crazy times we live in. It is cerebral and well crafted, but can leave you cold sometimes.
    SOE was just the album I needed for the times. It's giving me great comfort, hope and joy without explicitly referencing anything from 2017. U2 can also be cerebral, but these are also songs from the heart, sincere, simple and yet nuanced. So thanks again Bono, Larry, Edge and Adam, for writing the music for my everyday life.
  2. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    Going on a tangent, up to November I had to use Radiohead's "A Moon Shaped Pool" as my go to album for the crazy times we live in. It is cerebral and well crafted, but can leave you cold sometimes.
    SOE was just the album I needed for the times. It's giving me great comfort, hope and joy without explicitly referencing anything from 2017. U2 can also be cerebral, but these are also songs from the heart, sincere, simple and yet nuanced. So thanks again Bono, Larry, Edge and Adam, for writing the music for my everyday life.

That's what I love so much about Songs of Innocence and of Experience. They feel so much like 'records for everyday emotions and experiences'. They're very approachable albums, the kind you want to let in with you to keep you company.
  3. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:'I was arrested. Facing a wall with my hands over my head... the force screaming at me not to move.'

I think he's implying pretty heavily that he had a heart attack. Cardiac arrest, being aware and unable to respond to it... and then talking about having to make some changes to his lifestyle subsequently.
    Just a tiny problem with that last bit.
    You're not aware of anything while in cardiac arrest. You're dead. CPR literally brings you back to life.

/end of nitpicking
  4. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:'I was arrested. Facing a wall with my hands over my head... the force screaming at me not to move.'

I think he's implying pretty heavily that he had a heart attack. Cardiac arrest, being aware and unable to respond to it... and then talking about having to make some changes to his lifestyle subsequently.

Except that Bono stills parties hard and drinks for Gerard, Sergio and Dutch Tim combined.
  5. am I the only one who is scared of this story? After Bowie, Prince, Chris, Chester and all the other huge heroes of my life that died on the last years, this "brush with death" is scaring the hell out of me even that I don't know what rly happened... I can't deal with the idea of B man not being on this earth
  6. I think it would've been scarier if we had heard about it when it happened. It sounds like it happened a while ago, Bono re-assessed his life a little bit, and now he's moved on.

It's definitely scary in the sense that it's a reminder that these guys aren't immortal, but I'm not sitting around waiting for anything to happen at any moment, if that makes sense. These guys can probably afford the most accomplished physician in the world, not to mention Larry is around
  7. Bono had death brushes since 1996 when his airplane was shot by Jamaican authorities. Maybe that also influenced Pop, and he never made a big deal about it. Who knows what was it this time.
  8. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    And there in lies my problem with the album. Just be honest with us ffs. Or don’t say anything. To say this album was delayed because of Trump was just a lie from the second it was said.

But why do you think that is a lie? What evidence do you have? Maybe they were ready to go and decided to retool the songs in the way they do with live versions and then Trump and then "brush"? I mean...I guess we won't know for sure.
  9. Originally posted by Caledonia:In all fairness, perhaps both aspects are true. We all know how passionate Bono is about America, and what is currently going off with youknowho. My feeling is he had his thing going on and the whole Trump thing too, and they knew it wasn't the right time.

10. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    Love this! I read in one review a criticism for not explicitly calling out Trump but I am of the opinion that this album will hopefully live on way longer than Trump and that the political digs will just be topical and a reminder of the times and that the universal message of love will lie on.
  11. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]
    Love this! I read in one review a criticism for not explicitly calling out Trump but I am of the opinion that this album will hopefully live on way longer than Trump and that the political digs will just be topical and a reminder of the times and that the universal message of love will lie on.
    Yes, I agree. I was glad that there were no explicit digs at Trump/Brexit etc. because those are fairly temporal; explicit references to those sorts of things take away from the lasting impact of songs.

12. Hey hey I think we're getting carried away here