1. I don't think Adam can be completely absolved there either ahaha, although he does cotton on quicker than Edge
  2. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    Exactly.. Like 1989 but then a semitone higher Makes me think he can (sometimes) do it, but chooses not to on a nightly basis.

Also 1989 Bono had alot of problems with the song when it came to hit the Wide Awake note, he screamed it and it sounded way to strained.
    The only tour in the 80s where he hit the Wide Awake(in C not C# like the studio version) with a clean no straining voice was at the 1986 Amnesty Tour.

On JT he started to scream the note instead, same thing on LT and ZooTV.

So Popmart is the only tour where he hit the C# like in the studio version, in fact If I remember correct he hit a few C# also durning the Never Turn Us Apart snippet on AIWIY on Popmart.
    Which makes Popmart the tour where he have hit most C#'s

Vertigo tour was the first tour since 1986 Amnesty where he started to hit the C regular again.
    I think 2005-04-25 was the first one (ufile.io/vdpw95er MW is also included, listen in the middle of the song and you know why I included it ) , that Bad version is a very good one and most fans haven't heard it.
    Give it a listen, you won't regret it

On 360 tour he did an amazing job, just listen to Pittsburgh from 2011
    4:42 and 6:55 in this clip

Also this version is amazing

To me the 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford version and the two 360 versions above are the best ones when it comes to the vocal performence

I can understand that some people like the energy and screaming on Rotterdam 1990, but for me that isnt singing and he doesnt hit the notes correct.
    It is easier to scream than hit the note with a clean unstrained tone.
    Sure Bono had power, falsetto, energy and strength on JT/LT/ZooTV but he had lost some of the ability to hit the higher notes.
    2004-2015 is to such a great period because his voice improved when I came to higher notes, control but also he could express feelings more; sadness.
    There is no way the 1989 Bono could have express so much feeling in EBW like Bono did on the MTV performence in 2014.

Thats why I write alot about the WTSHNN from 2015-07-02 - Chicago, to me it is the best performence of the song.
    Because he combine his current sound with some of the sound of the 89-93 Bono
    He has the strenght, the power....

If you haven't heard it yet; fast forward to 2:20:41 in this video. Turn up the speakers
  3. Lots of interesting stuff going on in this thread, keep it coming @melon51 and @peterrrrr I'll come back to this this afternoon, guitar on hand, to check out those notes and versions.
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:Lots of interesting stuff going on in this thread, keep it coming @melon51 and @peterrrrr I'll come back to this this afternoon, guitar on hand, to check out those notes and versions.
    Thanks!
  5. I'd never have guessed that Popmart, his worst tour vocally, was the only time he's sung Bad in the key of A Then again I wouldn't have guessed that they'd play AIWIY in A instead of Ab, it's highly surprising. Are you sure that AIWIY version is not sped up a semitone to sound in A when they actually played it Ab?
  6. Bono actually looks like he's having the time of his life playing Bad in that Pittsburgh video. Rarely happened since 😭
  7. Originally posted by dylbagz:Bono actually looks like he's having the time of his life playing Bad in that Pittsburgh video. Rarely happened since 😭
    He does it so effortless
  8. 2:24
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:Lots of interesting stuff going on in this thread, keep it coming @melon51 and @peterrrrr I'll come back to this this afternoon, guitar on hand, to check out those notes and versions.
    Haha, you’re welcome to check this with a guitar.. I usually (think) I can hear it, but checked with my guitar as well. As far as I’ve yet found out this is the history of keys it’s been played in, feel free to add/edit where necessary:

Studio 1984 - A

Live 1984 - 1993: Ab (semitone lower)
    Live 1997 (snippet): A
    Live 1998: G (full tone lower)
    Live 2000 - 2015: Ab
    Live 2015 - now: G

They dropped from the live “standard” of Ab to G during the 1st leg of I&E tour, starting with the Chicago show. If you listen to Montreal and Chicago back-to-back you’ll notice..
  10. Peter, how can you accurately determine which notes Bono has hit? How do you know for certain that he hit an A flat for example.
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:I'd never have guessed that Popmart, his worst tour vocally, was the only time he's sung Bad in the key of A Then again I wouldn't have guessed that they'd play AIWIY in A instead of Ab, it's highly surprising. Are you sure that AIWIY version is not sped up a semitone to sound in A when they actually played it Ab?
    Yeah it's interesting. My guess would be they were semi-spontaneous moments, and done when he felt he could pull it off. But the snippets in 97 were the only in A, singing the whole song in A is much harder than just a few lines. All full performances in 98 were in the key of G (I think because of that).

Now for you other point about Popmart AIWIY.. It does seem surprising right? Especially since it's a semitone higher than the studio version.

My theory is, and here's where it might get confusing, so brace yourself :

AIWIY was played as a lenghty snippet/half song at the tail end of Still haven't found. So you have a stretch of songs that sequed from Pride through AIWIY (and Bad on 4 occasions), they sort of "flowed" together without a hard stop.

Live before, Pride and STHF were in the Bes Key, and AIWIY and Bad were in Ab. It makes sense to not have to keep jumping semitones (or whole notes) in between those 3-4 songs as you'd loose the flow. So to "glue" them together they lowered Pride and STHF to A, and raised the key to A for AIWIY and Bad.

This happened somewhere in the troubled 1st leg of Popmart. Later versions of AIWIY and Bad were lowered again, as they were "separate" songs again somewhere else in the set.. Does this make any sense?