2017-10-19 - Sao Paulo
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 22
Audio recordings: 0
  1. Originally posted by LikeASong:GlSad that my graph stirred up some discussion on these absurd ticket prices I think this is an important issue that should be addressed and discussed. Those of us who've been fans of this band for a long time tend to associate ourselves with them not only musically but also morally and ideologically. Just as I find hard to justify Bono's friendship with war criminals or the company's decission to pay less taxes by moving to The Netherlands (and I don't want to start any argument about these 2 points which have been discussed to death already), I find impossible to justify these ticket prices for my brother countries. The only true reason I can think of is pure greediness by LiveNation/U2camp, and that only makes me angrier.
    Sad but agree

2. Originally posted by LikeASong:GlSad that my graph stirred up some discussion on these absurd ticket prices I think this is an important issue that should be addressed and discussed. Those of us who've been fans of this band for a long time tend to associate ourselves with them not only musically but also morally and ideologically. Just as I find hard to justify Bono's friendship with war criminals or the company's decission to pay less taxes by moving to The Netherlands (and I don't want to start any argument about these 2 points which have been discussed to death already), I find impossible to justify these ticket prices for my brother countries. The only true reason I can think of is pure greediness by LiveNation/U2camp, and that only makes me angrier.
  3. That's what first came to my mind... how much input has the U2 camp on the final say of what the tickets will cost?

I find this topic a bit awkward because I hate playing the victim in public, but I do find it really unfair and discouraging because they almost never come down here, and when they finally do, I just can't afford to watch them live, I know and hate that the ticket prices are not fair.

But I never blamed U2 because of it...
    ...if tickets were as cheap as they are everywhere else, tickets would sold out in a couple of minutes, all by scalpers, and then they'll resell them even more expensive as they are now. So, I'm pretty sure that Ocesa (or whatever promoter would be) thinks something on the lines of they making the profit instead of the scalpers.

Also, a big part of it all is that most of the people who can afford it (along with lots of devoted fans), is people that simply wants to complete their checklist of acts they've seen live -not that there's anything wrong with it, but the demand for tickets to watch legendary artists like U2 in here -unlike in USA or Europe- is really high even among not even casual fans. You don't compete for tickets against other hardcore fans, or against casual fans... you compete for tickets against whoever has the money, even if they don't really care about them (because in here is still cool to like U2).
  4. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    That's what first came to my mind... how much input has the U2 camp on the final say of what the tickets will cost?

I find this topic a bit awkward because I hate playing the victim in public, but I do find it really unfair and discouraging because they almost never come down here, and when they finally do, I just can't afford to watch them live, I know and hate that the ticket prices are not fair.

But I never blamed U2 because of it...
    ...if tickets were as cheap as they are everywhere else, tickets would sold out in a couple of minutes, all by scalpers, and then they'll resell them even more expensive as they are now. So, I'm pretty sure that Ocesa (or whatever promoter would be) thinks something on the lines of they making the profit instead of the scalpers.

Also, a big part of it all is that most of the people who can afford it (along with lots of devoted fans), is people that simply wants to complete their checklist of acts they've seen live -not that there's anything wrong with it, but the demand for tickets to watch legendary artists like U2 in here -unlike in USA or Europe- is really high even among not even casual fans. You don't compete for tickets against other hardcore fans, or against casual fans... you compete for tickets against whoever has the money, even if they don't really care about them (because in here is still cool to like U2).
    I don't think it's playing the victim to complain about getting treated unfairly. You raise really valid points.

I don't know the degree of the band's involvement, the input of the 'new' manager, or Live Nation. Like I've said before though, we are a long way from Larry Mullen checking the quality of cotton on the t-shirts on the merch stand in the 80s. U2 are big business these days.

I think the casual fan phenomenon has happened everywhere with this particular tour. I'd expect next year's tour to be back in arenas, playing to the faithful. If you are going to any of the gigs, Bloodraven, I hope that you have a ball. And remember, it is still cool to like U2 everywhere!!
  5. Last time they introduced Zooropa...this MOOOOFFFOoooo
  6. Tour is almost over
  7. Well I have to say despite the general buzz around the tour dying down towards the end it’s been a great run. For everyone who attended take yourself back to a year before the tour announcement and ask yourself did you really think you’d ever hear any of the final 6 from TJT live again, maybe even final 7 as RTSS hadn’t shown up in a while. I think it’s easy to complain when listening in especially when your either not going to a show or have already been but if your there in person it’s a really special night. There was so many highlights, I nevert thought I’d be to a show where I had to decide if RHMT,
    exit or one tree hill was the moment of the night. I hope everyone attending the next 4 shows has an amazing night, I hope everyone who already attended had an incredible night, it’s been great to listen in when possible and I thank everyone who’s been on the mixlr’s or periscope, everyone on this site who gives us a place to follow it together and share our views and finally everyone who’s recorded a show sharing it with us all and letting us relive it. Thank you all, onwards and upwards for SOE and the E&I tour.
  8. For various reasons, the show I attended this past June is my favourite of the seven U2 concerts I've been to in my life.

(Yes, I even enjoyed myself more this time around compared to the ZooTV show I attended back in 1992.)