1. I'm only 32 or 52 when most of the humanity is gone
  2. I think humanity has an amazing ability to adapt, so I'm pretty sure we won't die out because of this, but a big part of the population might. The majority of people will probably start living further up north.

There's a lot of room in Sweden...
  3. Originally posted by Mr_Trek:I think humanity has an amazing ability to adapt, so I'm pretty sure we won't die out because of this, but a big part of the population might. The majority of people will probably start living further up north.

There's a lot of room in Sweden...
    When it comes to adaptation to heat: usually it takes around 10,000 years for a species to adapt to environmental changes. This now is happening in a matter of hundreds of years.

And even if we adapt: we depend on other animals to survive. We cannot survive without fish in the sea, worms in the ground or plants and trees which can live. All of those are in risk at the moment.

Another worry is the melting of the poles. If the north pole has melted (which has started already) sea levels will rise about 20-30 meters. Add another 60 meters if the arctics melt..

So I guess we need to move further down! Somewhere mid-Asia I was thinking
  4. I'm not saying we'll adapt through evolution, I'm thinking more through technology and such things. Although, when it comes to evolution, we have an advantage in how we have such a huge population right now.

We're also at the point technology-wise where we could start "playing god", making genetic adjustments on ourselves. If we became desperate enough I'm sure that's going to happen.
  5. The Netherlands would be in huge trouble if the sea rises though,
  6. Yep, it's likely The Netherlands will be completely under water within 30-60 years or so. Sea rise is no "if" anymore, it's more a question of time. And there is a limit to what you can do with dunes and dikes
  7. So with a 60m sea level rise, my current flat in London will still survive, but be part of a nice peninsula! Might have some nice views!!

This is one scary topic though. I do care about climate change, but I'm ashamed to admit I had no idea it was THIS bad...got some catching up, reading and watching to do. Thanks for this Remy.

BTW, Chris Martin just shared the same Rolling Stone article today on Facebook through Coldplay's page

I read this article and wanted to share it, particularly because at the end there's a sign of light at the end of the tunnel. Love CM

8. Look at this way, by 2030 U2 will be in their 70's and probably done touring... So what's it matter anyway?
  9. Plus, at that point, they will be the biggest band ever existed in the existence of humanity.
  10. Originally posted by Ali709:[..]
    So with a 60m sea level rise, my current flat in London will still survive, but be part of a nice peninsula! Might have some nice views!!

This is one scary topic though. I do care about climate change, but I'm ashamed to admit I had no idea it was THIS bad...got some catching up, reading and watching to do. Thanks for this Remy.

BTW, Chris Martin just shared the same Rolling Stone article today on Facebook through Coldplay's page

[..]
    Yes lots of celebrities are doing a great job when it comes to being the voice of these matters. Good stuff Awareness can only lead to good things in the end.
  11. Originally posted by Remy:[..]
    I learnt from Cowspiracy that animal agriculture is the biggest one when it comes to Co2/carbon emissions, more than all cars/airplanes/boats etc. combined. So if there is anything we need to give up and I gave up

I think I've heard that too. That's pretty crazy, does it count the transportation of animals and meat to/from farms and supermarkets? And if not what are they doing to those animals!?

I've been cutting down my meat intake recently with hopes to be a full fledged vegan within the next 2-5 years, mostly under inspiration from Morrissey I've got enough dietary restrictions that it probably wont be too hard, the days of eating for pleasure rather than survival are behind me and have been for a while now.