1. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    Ah I get it. Smart idea to match it on the PA songs And pitch indeed can be helpful (unless you use a song the band changed pitch for mid-leg of the tour, haha)
    There aren't many examples of that When they agree on a tuning they usually stick to it for the rest of the leg/tour. Only examples that spring to mind are scarcely performed or improptu songs like Bad in Popmart or I Will Follow in Zoo TV - but one wouldn't use them for a pitch comparison, right? One would use Bullet, for example, which was performed exactly the same at every single one Zoo TV tour

Vintage-audio remastering is almost a science on its own. I'm usually very good at identifying by ear when a recording runs too fast or to slow but I'm terrible at correcting it!
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    There aren't many examples of that When they agree on a tuning they usually stick to it for the rest of the leg/tour. Only examples that spring to mind are scarcely performed or improptu songs like Bad in Popmart or I Will Follow in Zoo TV - but one wouldn't use them for a pitch comparison, right? One would use Bullet, for example, which was performed exactly the same at every single one Zoo TV tour

Vintage-audio remastering is almost a science on its own. I'm usually very good at identifying by ear when a recording runs too fast or to slow but I'm terrible at correcting it!
    That was a bit of a joke.. They changed Bad in pitch in the middle of I&E but indeed that would be my last pick for comparing pitch

The software you use is pretty good at correcting speed (or tempo/pitch separately)? You just need something separate to accurately measure the BPM for a particular file/song. I use Virtual DJ for that (bit of overkill just for that), but it's pretty accurate
  3. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    That was a bit of a joke.. They changed Bad in pitch in the middle of I&E but indeed that would be my last pick for comparing pitch

The software you use is pretty good at correcting speed (or tempo/pitch separately)? You just need something separate to accurately measure the BPM for a particular file/song. I use Virtual DJ for that (bit of overkill just for that), but it's pretty accurate
    Ahhh yes, Bad from G# to G in the middle of IE, I knew I was forgetting a good (and recent) example. Poor Bono couldn't hit those crazy C5's like in the old days!
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Ahhh yes, Bad from G# to G in the middle of IE, I knew I was forgetting a good (and recent) example. Poor Bono couldn't hit those crazy C5's like in the old days!
    I'd have a hard time too, and he's got 17 years on me
  5. Anyone re-up?
  6. Am I allowed to upload the 1989-09-27 Sydney proshot audio? It's not in the audio page.
  7. Originally posted by UnderARedSky:A brand new recording of 1992-04-12 has been released on Dime. Guess who taped it? MIKE MILLARD! Apparently he was a big U2 fan before he died and taped many shows from 1992 and maybe even from 1987. This is the only Millard tape to surface of a U2 show. Apparently he also taped the San Diego show on the 15th. This is huge news. I'm excited to hear it!

I've added this to the show page of 1992-04-12 Los Angeles CA - Sports Arena

A true gem
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yes, that's the whole point. It's usual that old recordings suffer from speed/pitch issues. Many many bootlegs from the 80s have the wrong speed and/or pitch. Sometimes it was done on purpose and sometimes by mistake, but the result is the same: the music is altered in a very bad and unpleasant way. Our super remasterer @biggirl usually fixes that using the intro/outro PA song (which is taped and therefore has an established pitch and speed, unlike the live versions that can fluctuate) as a reference.

Oh, and also: it's better to measure pitch rather than bpms. Tempo can (and usually) change between tours and even between concerts - tuning/pitch are usually much more stable.
    Thanks! Yes, vintage analogue recordings almost always suffer from pitch/speed issues when transferred to digital. If possible, recorded PA music is a good starting point of reference for correct speed. But it's not always recorded and almost by default at the start of the tape. And then tape speed almost always varies a bit during playback because the tape is wind on spindles, usually a bit more at the beginning and the end of a tape side.

So for final pitch/speed correction, you need to look at the pitch - or rather "key" - of the various songs. This can be done, for example, in Adobe Audition at the "Spectral Pitch Display". All this from the reasonable assumption that the band played "in key" (A=440). Especially when an electric piano is used, there is no reason to assume otherwise. So for vintage U2, "October" is the perfect song to match speed to. And, indeed, for later U2 "Bullet The Blue Sky" is perfect because of the fine sustained notes Edge plays - and then there is also "Running To Stand Still" with electric piano.

And although Millard's recording is brilliant, I too find the transfer running about half a semi too fast (more than 9 seconds on the BTBS track ) ...when I have time again to work on these things, I will talk to JEMS about this
  9. Originally posted by U2fan:[..]
    Thanks for the recording! I am having trouble downloading the mp3 version of it because it says the files are corrupted. Is there a way I can fix that?
    I've just downloaded it and everything is fresh & non corrupt. Try downloading it from a different browser