1. Seven times in order, twice on shuffle, and several songs individually, so I've heard every song anywhere from 9-15 times

Song Title: The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    Initial Thoughts: Hearing it in the Apple livestream, I wasn't too sure I liked it a lot. Hearing it on the album was a different story. A very powerful song, punching and kicking.
    Score: 10/10
    Favourite Lyric: 'I was young/Not dumb/Just wishing to be blinded/By you/Brand new/We were pilgrims on our way'

Song Title: Every Breaking Wave
    Initial Thoughts: I have the original version from the 360 tour but haven't listened to it yet. As it stands, this is maybe the most U2y song on the album. I liked it quite a bit to begin with but it's grown on me more and more. Not one of my top five picks from SOI but definitely a good one. Probable second single, I think.
    Favourite Lyric: 'Every sailor knows that the sea/Is a friend made enemy/And every shipwrecked soul knows what it is/To live without intimacy' and 'Are we so/Are we so helpless against the tide?'

Song Title: California (There is no End To Love)
    Initial Thoughts: Apparently not one of the best-liked songs on SOI... well, I fell for it instantly. The weird electronic rock sound, and the Beach Boys-esque 'Ba-ba-barbara, Santa Barbara' intro are just really unexpected and wonderful to hear. Probably won't be making the greatest hits lists but a nice little track.
    Favorite Lyric: 'California/And then we fell into the shining sea'

Song Title: Song For Someone
    Initial Thoughts: The slow ballad of SOI, Song For Someone isn't the most moving or powerful song U2 have written in such a vein. That said, it doesn't disappoint. The more restrained music and Bono's quieter vocals create a beautiful atmosphere that evokes some strong emotions. Reminds of R.E.M.'s Everybody Hurts, now that I think about it...
    Score: 9.5/10
    Favourite Lyric: 'If there is a light we can't always see/And there is a world we can't always be/If there is a kiss I stole from your mouth/And there is a light, don't let it go out.'

Song Title: Iris (Hold Me Close)
    Initial Thoughts: My favourite song on the album and poised to become one of my favourite songs overall. Obvious parallels have been made to Tomorrow, and I also got some vibes of Ultra Violet and Where the Streets Have No Name (the guitar at one point seemed strongly reminiscent of that song). Beautiful theme, beautiful lyrics, and I really adore the outer space imagery.
    Favourite Lyric: Pretty much all of them, this is the one that hurts the most - 'Iris standing in the hall/She tells me I can do it all/Iris wakes to my nightmares/Don't fear the world, it isn't there/Iris playing on the strand/She buries the boy beneath the sand/Iris says that I will be the death of her/It was not me'

Song Title: Volcano
    Initial Thoughts: A bit of a filler song, let's be honest. But a rad song nonetheless. I felt more Vertigo vibes from this one than from The Miracle. And Adam's bass could kill a man. Brilliant.
    Favourite Lyric: 'You are rock and roll/You and I are rock and roll'

Song Title: Raised By Wolves
    Initial Thoughts: The music on this one is a little weird. To be honest the song is really good but not amazing, if my opinions of anything on this album worsen with time, it'd be this song or This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now.
    Score: 9/10
    Favourite Lyric: 'My body's not a canvas/My body's now a toilet wall'

Song Title: Cedarwood Road
    Initial Thoughts: A close second to Iris as my favourite of the album. Such a hard, electronic, heavy song... nearly a metal vibe, I thought. One reason I like this album so much is that so many of the songs have a story attached to them, and Iris and Cedarwood Road have the best stories. The atmosphere this song builds is amazing.
    Favourite Lyric: 'Northside/Just across the river to the Southside/That's a long way here/All the green and all the gold/The hurt you hide and the joy you hold/The foolish pride that gets you out the door/On Cedarwood, Cedarwood Road' and 'Sometimes fear is the only place that we can call our home'

Song Title: Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
    Initial Thoughts: First listen, I liked the song but wasn't in love. A few more listens and it's a strong contender for my top picks from the album. This weird, sexy, electronic slow jam with Edge's filthy guitar... It's like Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World and If You Wear That Velvet Dress had a baby.
    Favourite Lyric: 'It's a dirty business, dreaming'

Song Title: This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
    Initial Thoughts: Not overjoyed with this one, but it's good stuff still. In some ways a more mainstream, HTDAAB sound but still definitely a SOI track. As I said, if my opinions any of the songs on this record drop below five stars, it'll be of this song or Raised by Wolves.
    Favourite Lyric: 'We come from an ancient place/Beyond what we can see/We've come to colonise your night/And steal your poetry'

Song Title: The Troubles
    Initial Thoughts: Haunting, personal and universal at once. The typical U2 downer ending, a lovely track. Perhaps not as memorable as some other album closers, but definitely a beauty and if the polls are anything to go by one of the fan favourites on SOI.
    Favourite Lyric: 'I'm naked and I'm not afraid/My body's sacred and I'm not ashamed.'

OVERALL OPINIONS: My first thought after listening to Songs of Innocence was, 'My God, this is the best record they've done since Achtung Baby.' And several listens later, that assessment still stands. That's no small statement to make, if you know how much I adore Pop, HTDAAB, and NLOTH. But I really believe that this is a very magical, moving, unbelievable album.
  2. Originally posted by AllBecauseOfU2:
    Initial Thoughts: Weakest on the album for me. A nice song, but nothing stands out…yet.
    Score: 5/10
    Favorite Lyric: -

one of the best for me !

3. It still hasn't clicked for me yet. I'll give it plenty more listens, but right now, it's nothing special...

4. haha is ok ... i like it very much
  5. Song Title: The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
    Initial Thoughts: It's got one line that soars (see below) and the rest is vanilla.
    Score : 5/10
    Favorite Lyric: 'I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred'

Initial Thoughts: My jaw dropped at the first chorus. The song is nice and subtle, not too boring by any means...this could be a huge, huge radio song for U2 through winter. We'll see I suppose.
    Score: 8/10
    Favorite Lyric: 'Every gambler knows that to lose is what you're really there for."

Song Title: California (There's No End To Love)
    Initial Thoughts: This song is so catchy! I love it. Proof that U2 can make good pop music that...well, doesn't sound just like typical ol' U2 (BD, Vertigo, etc.). This is a cool song that goes where Crazy Tonight should have gone, it just didn't have the level of committment that this does.
    Score: 7/10
    Favorite Lyric: "And all I neeeeeeeeeeed to know"...it's the part of the song that makes me happiest.

Initial Thoughts: This is the first real connection I had with the album, after several days of owning it. This is perfect classic U2 mixed with the elements of the new album that just makes this song so beautiful and honest and fresh. Best tune on the album.
    Favorite Lyric: 'And there is a light...don't let it go out."

Initial Thoughts: A cross between "A Rush of Blood to the Head" and "Mylo Xyloto" sounding songs. Oh, wait...
    Score: 6/10
    Favorite Lyric: Don't have one

Initial Thoughts: A throwaway for them to put in the 7th or 8th slot of the setlist and drop after a leg and a half of the tour. An attempt at new stadium rock that doesn't really land.
    Score: 5/10

Initial Thoughts: The most adventurous tune on the album- and I am a fan. The heavy breathing at the beginning is a risk for U2, and it pays off. The only part I'm not hugely fond of is when Bono yells "Raised by wolves"...but the rest is super cool.
    Favorite Lyric: 'I don't believe anymore'

Initial Thoughts: None of the lyrics stick at all, but the guitar is awesome.

Song Title: Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
    Initial Thoughts: I've gotta keep figuring this one out. I think it's sort of lame...but there's something really intriguing about it. I'm not a huge fan of everyone calling this a great Zooropa throwback, because this is nowhere near as good as that stuff.
    Favorite Lyric: Don't have one...yet

Initial Thoughts: This is a dumb song that tries really hard
    Score: 4/10

Initial Thoughts: Another interesting comparison to tracks on No Line (like how Volcano is basically Stand Up Comedy, California is basically Crazy Tonight...but both SOI songs take what U2 was going for to the next level)....this is basically Cedars. But so much better. The ominous vibe is SO much better relayed here, the effect is grand, the appearance by Lykke Li is fantastic....I really dig this tune.
    Favorite Lyric: 'Somebody stepped inside your soul
    Somebody stepped inside your soul
    Little by little they robbed and stole
    Till someone else was in control'

Using my album rank system, which is to add each track ranking, add a number 1-10 to give to the album as a whole (how does it flow, does it have theme, is it cohesive, how's production, etc) then divide by the total number of tracks on the album....my score for SOI at the moment is a 7.18
  6. This might likely change as the years go by, indeed. I don't know how many times I've listened to this album since it downloaded but it's been ALOT. For now, here is my first impression:

Song Title: The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
    Initial Thoughts: After my first viewing of the song during the Apple event, I thought "wow, pretty good song. Sure wish it were catchier like BD and rocking like Vertigo." But after many listens, it's possibly their best album opener since Vertigo. Edge is TRULY on fire as I LOVE his crunchy Punk / Glam guitar tones. Bono on top form as usual. Larry and Adam keep the momentum more tightly than NLOTH IMO this time around. Overall, not perfect, but still an awesome tune.
    Score /10: 10/10
    Favorite Lyric: "Everything I ever lost, now has been returned. The most beautiful sound I've ever heard."

Initial Thoughts: "What? Ballad already?" Yeah, my first thoughts when this song came on, but I recognized it from its' live airings during the 360 tour. I'll admit, I was off-putted by the new studio arrangement compared to its live incarnation (especially the new chorus), but it's been growing on me. Now it reminds me of "With Or Without You", which I find a REAL good thing.
    Score /10: 9.5/10
    Favorite Lyric: "Are we ready to be swept off our feet, and stop chasing every breaking wave"

Song Title: California (There Is No End To Love)
    Initial Thoughts: The intro Beach Boys-esque chants really caught my attention. Then the rest of the song came and that was it. This song is absolutely GORGIOUS! I LOVE this song! It's sunny, bright, super catchy, the chorus is SUPER infectious (thanks to Bono's high register pitch) and makes you want to dance or jump around in pure bliss! Plus Edge's solo is KILLER. I just wish he would've done some catchy guitar part to accompany the synth chorus, but maybe he'll do that during the coming tour. Overall, was blown away the first time and still blown away now.
    Score /10: 9.9/10
    Favorite Lyric: "All I know, and all I neeeeed to know that there is no end to love."

Initial Thoughts: Initially, along with the next song, I did not know what to make of this other "ballad". But after some time, like EBW, this has grown... like, ALOT! It's been my most played song off this album so far. Edge's delicate guitar touch in the intro is beautiful, as throughout the song. Bono sings with passion as his lyrics hangs with intimate meaning between the romantic and the spiritual. I think this is U2's BEST love song since Original of the Species and I positively can NOT get enough of this song. Can't wait to hear it live.
    Score /10: 10/10
    Favorite Lyric: Honestly, don't have one. The WHOLE song is wonderful.

Initial Thoughts: Unlike SFS, this one HASN'T grown on me... much. The title alone suggested to me that this was going to be SYCMIOYO but as a tribute to Bono's mother. But in comparison, I thought it sounded so.. restrained. The "who-ohs" in the songs' chorus REALLY brought this song down for me. What a let down. However it has brightened up for me since: Chris Martins' vocal presence in the intro, middle and outro (i.e.-Ghost Stories) really raises this songs' bar, the piano driven breakdown in the middle saves this song and Bono's vocal performance is still beautiful (as the lyrics). So not AS bad as the first time I heard it but I wish the music matched the emotion of Bono's lyrics.
    Score /10: 7/5
    Favorite Lyric: "I've got your life inside of me"

Initial Thoughts: I thought this sounded so banal and old, I feared the album was starting to suck. But after a while, the song has gotten better. Adam's "volcanic" bass is BIG and driving as Larry's drumming is spot on. Bono's lyrics, vocals and Edge's guitar turned me off at first until it hit the "Glastonbury" part in the middle, which I now like. A good rockin' tune.
    Score /10: 8/10
    Favorite Lyric: "Volcano" chorus & "YOU ARE ROCK N ROLL!"

Initial Thoughts: The heavy breathing in the intro was a big WTH moment for me the first time. Honestly it still bothers me as it's a bit distracting, but lately I've tolerated it since it adds to the raw feel of the song. The lyrics are U2's most politically detailed ever and the most thought provoking IMO. The gospel samples are a nice touch to the atmosphere. Good catchy tune (minus the breathing).
    Score /10: 8.5/10
    Favorite Lyric: "I don't believe anymore."

Initial Thoughts: The Heavy Punk Edge riff as the intro. Awesome. Reminds me of Audioslave. I like that the lyrics are descriptive and heartfelt but in all honesty, they're not as memorable as the music for me.
    Score /10: 7.5/10
    Favorite Lyric: "A heart that is broken, is a heart that is open!"

Song Title: Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
    Initial Thoughts: This gets lots of comparisons to U2's Zooropa / Pop work, but honestly I don't hear it. The electro touches are nice, Bono's "Lemon"-esque falsetto is really cool and Edge's guitar solo reminds me of Omar (Mars Volta). But beyond that, just doesn't work for me now.
    Score /10: 5/10
    Favorite Lyric: "Hope is where the door is"

Initial Thoughts: Edge's guitar is cool and the chorus' dynamic harmonies saves this song for me. But like Sleep, it really goes nowhere, then and now.
    Score /10: 5.5/10
    Favorite Lyric: "this is where YOU CAN REEEEACH me NOW!"

Initial Thoughts: After those last few songs, I'd expected this album to end with a BANG. Or at least a decent tune. So this song REALLY off-putted me at first and I was left scratching my head "is that it!? Is this the BIG U2 comeback album!?!?" But like others songs off here, this has grown over time. Bono once again brilliantly blurs the political with the personal and Swedish indie singer-songwriter Lykke Li REALLY makes this song shine. This is Bono's most vulnerable sounding song since Love Is Blindness and Wake Up Dead Man. While the music isn't AS memorable, his emotional "nakedness" and almost tearful vocal really brings this song home. He really sounds like he could break down and cry any second. An unexpected but heartfelt and brilliant closer, whose lyrics I feel will tug heartstrings for generations to come.
    Score /10: 9.5/10
    Favorite Lyric: "I'm naked and I'm not afraid. My body's sacred and I'm not ashamed."

This is their most energetic album since Atomic Bomb but like No Line, remains restrained in some songs. This albums' strength, I feel, lies more in it's lyrical storytelling than the music's power. That's how songs like "Iris" and "Volcano" appealed to me with time: if this album is viewed from a "beginning / middle and end", then some of the songs will make sense. Again IMO. I feel the music would've been much stronger had they upped Edge's guitar antie to "Vertigo", "All Because of You"- like dynamics and added more variety to the songs so they wouldn't sound too bland.
    Overall, I wouldn't put this album along other personal favorites of mine like The Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, War, Achtung Baby and ATYCLB, but it DOES COME CLOSE. It's not a perfect album but it's still a really good U2 album. And I'm glad for it.

Instant hits:
    The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
    California (There Is No End To Love)
    Song For Someone

Current growers:
    Volcano
    Iris (Hold Me Close)
    Raised By Wolves

Eventual growers:
    Every Breaking Wave
    Cedarwood Road
    The Troubles

Stagnant growers (aka need more time);
    Sleep Like a Baby
    This is Where You Can Reach Me Now

My rating system: 1-5
    Songs of Innocence: 4/5
  7. I don't think it's up there with JT, AB, TUF (my top three); but it does come close. It is overall fresh and sparkling; no real duds - the comparison with AB and JT (and possibly Zooropa) is in this respect appropriate. Pop, All you can't leave, Bomb, No line, all have duds - especially the last three.

I'm not completely convinced yet by 3-5, although each has its merits. California is probably the weakest song on the album for me - the chorus kind of sucks. Yet again it is a fun song too.

What strikes me is that while this is certainly a U2 album, there's a lot of the U2 palette that's missing on it: recent tracks like Invisible and OL wouldn't quite fit in the album (indeed they are not included); and yet they are classic trademark U2 songs. The only classic trademark U2 song on SoI is EBW. The rest is either U2 trying to be modern (California, Iris), U2 rediscovering 1980-1983, or U2 + DM = YES (the last three songs are still a very high point of the album for me, but then I'm a huge Broken Bells fan).

My girlfriend who isn't really a U2 fan but gets to listen to U2 quite a lot because of me is independently digging this album in a way she never really dug No line.

I hope that's a good sign!
  8. PS On a Dutch train, bunch of people in their 40's exchange iPhones playing Cedarwood Road at full volume - all seem pretty enthusiastic...

9. That doesn't say much, there's only No Line in between haha.

Just kidding, I like the rest of your review even though I don't agree with many points.

I seriously need to take the time and do this!
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

That doesn't say much, there's only No Line in between haha.

Just kidding, I like the rest of your review even though I don't agree with many points.

I seriously need to take the time and do this!

Hahaha. It's cool.

No Line is real good and I like it. But it doesn't rank among my favorite openers for me.

Yup. I'd like to see your thoughts on SOI.
  11. Making albums for these four guys has just become like bread and butter, too easy!
    I loved Songs of Innocence and I give it 9/10 good listening.
    Well done boys!
  12. Originally posted by BleedsDayLight:Making albums for these four guys has just become like bread and butter, too easy!
    I loved Songs of Innocence and I give it 9/10 good listening.
    Well done boys!

I love your nickname.