1. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:I'm still just blown away by Love Is All We Have Left. Such a brief, simple song, but it's so evocative. It's easily among my favourite U2 tracks.
    agree... one of their best sounding songs ever... simple but sooo interesting musically and lyrically
  2. I can't stop playing it.
    Everyday since 1st december.i love it
    I don't compare it.i just love it
    Not so much rock n roll?who gives a fuck
    I LOVE IT
  3. I gave it a break as well.

Listened to it again last night and I'm still on my most conservative opinion of the album: it's a good album, feels like there's too much "filler", although I like the filler in here.

New opinions:
    To me is more in the Zooropa range... a couple of amazing gems, a few pretty good tracks, and filled with what could've been great b-sides. Not complaining, I like and enjoy both albums.

The tracks we already knew (specially American Soul and Blackout) stood out to me more than they did before. They were highlights for me in last night listen.

Red Flag Day and Landlady kept their shining.
    All We Have Left, Summer of Love and There Is A Light, not so much. To be fair, I wasn't 100% focused listening to the album. I'm sure that if I'm not doing anything else, close my eyes, and listen to it in headphones, those songs improve substantially, but if not, they seemed lacking a bit.
  4. Originally posted by Fly40:I can't stop playing it.
    Everyday since 1st december.i love it
    I don't compare it.i just love it
    Not so much rock n roll?who gives a fuck
    I LOVE IT
    +1
  5. Bono and Co must be panicking SOE dropped from number 1 on the Billboard charts to number 15 and in the UK its gone from 5 to 20 in just a week, yeah normally U2 albums dont hang around the top 10 too long but they've never had such a dramatic loss of sales in the opening two weeks now some of the hipsters on here may not care for chart positions but the band are driven by them and always spend millions on marketing their albums ever since the Joshua tree , for an 80s band they've done very well with this album most other acts of their era are lucky to break the Top 40 but for a Band who are widely considered the biggest group on the planet its worrying ,they need to release a big song from it with a stunning video to reignite it before it sinks ,with the tour so far off it's not gonna really impact it but maybe the BBC performance will help rescue it this week before it's too late.
  6. Originally posted by popmarter:Bono and Co must be panicking SOE dropped from number 1 on the Billboard charts to number 15 and in the UK its gone from 5 to 20 in just a week, yeah normally U2 albums dont hang around the top 10 too long but they've never had such a dramatic loss of sales in the opening two weeks now some of the hipsters on here may not care for chart positions but the band are driven by them and always spend millions on marketing their albums ever since the Joshua tree , for an 80s band they've done very well with this album most other acts of their era are lucky to break the Top 40 but for a Band who are widely considered the biggest group on the planet its worrying ,they need to release a big song from it with a stunning video to reignite it before it sinks ,with the tour so far off it's not gonna really impact it but maybe the BBC performance will help rescue it this week before it's too late.
    Meh
  7. Originally posted by popmarter:Bono and Co must be panicking SOE dropped from number 1 on the Billboard charts to number 15 and in the UK its gone from 5 to 20 in just a week, yeah normally U2 albums dont hang around the top 10 too long but they've never had such a dramatic loss of sales in the opening two weeks now some of the hipsters on here may not care for chart positions but the band are driven by them and always spend millions on marketing their albums ever since the Joshua tree , for an 80s band they've done very well with this album most other acts of their era are lucky to break the Top 40 but for a Band who are widely considered the biggest group on the planet its worrying ,they need to release a big song from it with a stunning video to reignite it before it sinks ,with the tour so far off it's not gonna really impact it but maybe the BBC performance will help rescue it this week before it's too late.
    I don't think they're too worried. For the last decade it's been about coming in #1 the week of release and expecting to get bounced by a new release the following week.

Band doesn't spend money marketing... that's why they mega deals with the label.

SOE marketing strategy to get to #1 - soundscan a CD and give 1 for every ticket purchased. Yup. Those CD's counted as sales... That's a marketing win right there.
  8. Originally posted by popmarter:Bono and Co must be panicking SOE dropped from number 1 on the Billboard charts to number 15 and in the UK its gone from 5 to 20 in just a week, yeah normally U2 albums dont hang around the top 10 too long but they've never had such a dramatic loss of sales in the opening two weeks now some of the hipsters on here may not care for chart positions but the band are driven by them and always spend millions on marketing their albums ever since the Joshua tree , for an 80s band they've done very well with this album most other acts of their era are lucky to break the Top 40 but for a Band who are widely considered the biggest group on the planet its worrying ,they need to release a big song from it with a stunning video to reignite it before it sinks ,with the tour so far off it's not gonna really impact it but maybe the BBC performance will help rescue it this week before it's too late.
    It was prone to happen that way since every ticket sold in the US counted as a CD sold. Otherwise they would have NEVER reached #1 Billboard in this day and age as you very well reckon.
  9. I keep listening to it, and liking it. It isn't perfect, and yes, we are light years away from JT and AB. But hey, I will repeat ad nauseam that the same is true of Bowie's last few albums - they are also light years away from his best work in the 70's. And yet they're great. And so are SOI and SOE: both excellent albums; both better than NLOTH, which contains some fantastic songs (e.g. the first three) but that all in all doesn't sparkle.
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    It was prone to happen that way since every ticket sold in the US counted as a CD sold. Otherwise they would have NEVER reached #1 Billboard in this day and age as you very well reckon.
    No it wasn't No line reached number 1 in the US without much bother even though it was one of their weaker albums even SOI when it was physically released did ok even though half the planet already had it thanks to Apple.Bono is obsessed with being relevant and challenging the big pop stars like Ed sheeran and Taylor swift having 9 producer's and a multi million dollar promotional campaign is evidence of that .
  11. I think SOE could still have been #1 in the US without the album with a ticket offer. It would be close I feel but they’d be in with a chance. Regardless of that though I don’t think the band are that bothered about challenging other artists, more that they and there music are being recognised and getting to #1 in the charts whatever way you do it is a good way to get you noticed.