1. ...I'll have a pint of whatever you are on !

I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

2. I'll PM you my address, Nick.
  3. Originally posted by ap5:They are not irrelevant because of a 2009 Grammy Performance that 99% of the music buying population never even saw.

They are irrelevant because they are old. They could have released WTSHNN for the first time on any album between 2009 and today and it would have barely registered in popular music or have been relevant.

Times change and new generations might respect the prior generations music, but they want something to call their own. The fact that U2 even still registers the number of album reviews they get (good or awful) is a testament to what they have achieved.

Even at the very pinnacle of popularity they were barely relevant in popular culture. JT thru Zooropa and that was it - and even then they shared the spotlight and were overshadowed by everything from Michael Jackson to Madonna to Grunge.

And I say all this as a huge fan that generally adores their entire body of work. SOE is not peak U2 but I think it’s a very worthy addition to their catalog.

I will pretend that I wrote this so I can feel proud of myself for the next few minutes.
  4. "Songs of experience" is number 4 in Poland
  5. Originally posted by robotsandmonkeys:[..]
    Totally agreed. Not understanding how people can heap praise on an album so dreadfully uninspired, timid, and mediocre.

Bono is especially cringe-worthy on this album - his lyrics are amateurish, awkward, and tone-def. His subjects are far from novel...here we have:
    - 2 songs about Ali (adding to how many others already written?)
    - 4 songs about love/love in the title (again...we get it...we love love too...but damn! We GET it!)
    - 2 songs about Bono writing about how absurd/transparent Bono is (nothing new here either)
    - 1 song about America (we could have a quintuple album of U2 Songs of America at this point)

If he wrote a song for his mother we'd all win Bono bingo or something.

So...
    Music? Mediocre at best.
    Lyrics? Sounds like a 13 year old wrote them, or Bono decided to read a fortune cookie
    Topics? Stale as hell. Almost every subject has an analog in their catalog that is MUCH better.
    Effort? If THIS is the product of YEARS of work? They are in a lot of trouble.
    Masterpiece? I understand a lot of you think so, personally I think this is easily the worst album they have ever released

Ah, this is the fun of listening to and analyzing music as art. I love SOE, despite actually agreeing with some of your points (overuse of "love" and yet another song about America, in particular).

Come to think of it, your evaluation at the end pretty much sums up my thoughts on ATYCLB.
  6. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]

Ah, this is the fun of listening to and analyzing music as art. I love SOE, despite actually agreeing with some of your points (overuse of "love" and yet another song about America, in particular).

Come to think of it, your evaluation at the end pretty much sums up my thoughts on ATYCLB.
    I always love watching people argue about art and poetry.
  7. I don't want to be too loud with my criticism as I've loved U2 all my life and I hope they continue making music indefinitely(if they change things up again) but I think SOE is poor, easily the worst album they have ever released in my opinion.
  8. Originally posted by robotsandmonkeys:[..]
    Totally agreed. Not understanding how people can heap praise on an album so dreadfully uninspired, timid, and mediocre.

Bono is especially cringe-worthy on this album - his lyrics are amateurish, awkward, and tone-def. His subjects are far from novel...here we have:
    - 2 songs about Ali (adding to how many others already written?)
    - 4 songs about love/love in the title (again...we get it...we love love too...but damn! We GET it!)
    - 2 songs about Bono writing about how absurd/transparent Bono is (nothing new here either)
    - 1 song about America (we could have a quintuple album of U2 Songs of America at this point)

If he wrote a song for his mother we'd all win Bono bingo or something.

So...
    Music? Mediocre at best.
    Lyrics? Sounds like a 13 year old wrote them, or Bono decided to read a fortune cookie
    Topics? Stale as hell. Almost every subject has an analog in their catalog that is MUCH better.
    Effort? If THIS is the product of YEARS of work? They are in a lot of trouble.
    Masterpiece? I understand a lot of you think so, personally I think this is easily the worst album they have ever released

9. Sounds like some people need to listen to angry music.